Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

New Story: What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience

Aug 27, 2017, 1:23 PM

What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience

Clemson hasn’t received a verbal commitment in a little over two months, and many of the fans are growing restless. They expect commitments to flow in on a regular schedule, and any variance from that routine causes angst and the board posts flow as people question the coaches and wonder what is wrong with recruiting? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ugh, David. Reasonable per usual.

Aug 27, 2017, 1:38 PM

Why can't you just let us freak out?

Snowflake Basher........Out

Nice reminder, but I do still thirst for that rumor, or silent commit, or

Aug 27, 2017, 2:31 PM

Whatever. But the biggest statement we can make is in the field. Us handling auburn in a big hole game with talent visiting and auburn and Georgia underperforming should grab some attention.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience

Aug 27, 2017, 2:38 PM

I'm a USSF-licensed coach - soccer, not football - but one thing that holds true across sports is, there's plenty of talent out there. Everybody gets locked onto those 4-and-5-star "game-changers", and yeah, they matter, but the truth of the matter is there's a ton of talented guys out there. Crunch film. Keep your eye peeled for interesting anomalies. Shucks, just listen to people when they tell you about this guy or that guy and be willing to do the legwork to check him out. Sometimes they're a homer, sometimes you find a gem.

One thing I will say is that soccer is better at than football at keeping an eye peeled to the "developmental" nature of players. That's always been a major consideration in soccer, whereas in football people have gotten used to this PlayStation mentality where a player has a numerical rating, and that's it - that's what he is. Now, and for all time. And the fact is, even a lot of soccer coaches are guilty of the same bottom-line thinking. But way too many football coaches are stuck in this thought process.

In contrast "development" has gotten to be a huge keyword under Dabo's regime, though, where you almost never heard it prior. He's aware it's the coaching/teaching/strength-and-flexibility-training process, team culture (in other words, this is how we treat people and each other, this is what we believe, this is how we live day-to-day), and commitment to the player that often determines what kind of player a kid turns out to be.

You want to start with a good recruit, but honestly, as a coach, I often find I'd rather just get a raw athlete with a great attitude as opposed to a more-skilled but primadonna-ish player who already thinks he knows it all; coaching and teaching that kid is a lot easier and he's often more aware he's got miles to go and as such is willing to work hard; the primadonna often isn't. You gotta "de-recruit" a superstar and teach him he's just another guy; the raw prospect already knows that.

Anyway, all of this is a long way of saying - there's a ton of fish in the sea, and in a lot of ways, it matters as much what you do with them once you get them as much as it matters what they were before you got them. Otherwise you just plain waste, alienate, and marginalize talent as fast as you acquire it...and everybody winds up frustrated and what you get is a malcontent bunch of underachievers who start pointing fingers at one another. And in virtually all of the successful programs - Chris Peterson there at Washington is another prime example - you hear a repeated emphasis on getting "the right kind of guys" as opposed to "recruiting."

So Clemson needs 4-7 more guys by February to round out this class? Pssh. That's nothing. They'll get who they need even if we haven't heard of them. And if history tells us anything, it'll be rated around 15th in the country per the recruitniks. Who would be right, if only they were rating PlayStation players instead of actual football prospects.

Re: New Story: What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience

Aug 27, 2017, 3:10 PM

Completely agree Q, especially the developmental aspect under Dabo. When TB was HC I often said that what you saw at the beginning of the year was as good as it was going to get, because we simply did not improve as the year went along. Not true any more. That team that beat Bama was far better than the one that lined up against Troy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

too much to read - but I completely agree...

Aug 27, 2017, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience ]

so long as it is good for the tigers - +1

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2017, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What's the latest with Clemson's recruiting? Coaches showing patience ]

Brilliant summary. I'm not worried. Another factor is some of the ones we are recruiting have said the won't commit for awhile yet. The point made is the Tigers are showing commitment patience. I don't know, but still suspect, some have given some hints to the coaches of intent. It's happened before.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still doesnt answer why 0 recruits for 2019

Aug 27, 2017, 3:48 PM

with the class size expected, we should have taken a few by now

Cause the coots are TAKIN over the nation!

Aug 27, 2017, 4:01 PM

True story. I heard it on the radio

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The two paragraphs on player development should answer that

Aug 27, 2017, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Still doesnt answer why 0 recruits for 2019 ]

not everyone is an obvious star their sophomore year

Clemson

yet weve offered plenty of 2019 kids

Aug 27, 2017, 8:14 PM

at this point, with very little left to do to finish off the 18 class, we shoulda capitalized more

no reason we cant spend extra 2 mos focusing on 2019 kids, if 80% of 2018 class alrdy signed

Tell em' coot.

Aug 27, 2017, 9:28 PM

You saying 80% of the '18 class already signed tells me all I need to know about how much you actually know about recruiting and how much I should value any opinion that you may have on the matter of any recruiting much less Clemson recruiting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Still doesnt answer why 0 recruits for 2019

Aug 27, 2017, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Still doesnt answer why 0 recruits for 2019 ]

The internet...the place that gives me a daily dose of 'stupid'. Fan, my derriere!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you're worried 'bout recruits, you aint paying attention

Aug 27, 2017, 6:52 PM

it's a fine time to be a tiger.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Aug 27, 2017, 7:23 PM

Trust in the process ...trust the Dabs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 28, 2017, 12:41 AM

With all that money out there, I just worry about holding what we have. That story the other day about the kid whose mother was offered $650,000 by LSU left me stunned. I knew there was money out there but not that much money.

I heard the coots were paying

Aug 28, 2017, 6:55 PM

About tree-fiddy way less than they were paying in the Whitney days when they got busted

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Top 5 wish list

Aug 28, 2017, 5:50 PM

Not that I expect to land all of these, but...

#1- Carman
#2- Salyer
#3- Ross
#4- Henry
#5- Muhammad

Re: Top 5 wish list

Aug 28, 2017, 6:50 PM

Exactly

Aug 28, 2017, 7:33 PM

The fact we have no 2019 commitments does not concern me. The 2019 class has two more years of high school football. Some of those that look good now could and should improve and some may even regress. Then there are always late bloomers. I believe our coaching staff knows exactly what they are doing or else we would not be the defending champion and our record over the last several years would be comparable to our friends in Columbia. For some strange reason our coaches do not post recruiting tid bits on these internet boards or even ask our opinions regarding recruiting.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic