Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My friend now plays for Saban
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,990

My friend now plays for Saban

Jul 2, 2013, 2:23 AM

A guy I am very close friends with, and have been for close to a decade now, just picked up a scholarship as a running back for the Crimson Tide. He was looking at Clemson, Auburn, Vandy, and Bama, but Bama gave him a full scholarship.
Of course he chose Bama despite me trying to convince him otherwise.

Dunno how many of you guys care but I thought it would be interesting to share.
It will be interesting to see what happens when we meet in Pasadena this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes. Clemson vs Bama National Championship 2014

Jul 2, 2013, 6:44 AM

you read it here first or maybe second

I hope he's really good ...

Jul 2, 2013, 10:00 AM

otherwise, in a couple of years, he may be asked to "pursue other opportunities" or take a "medical hardship"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

name?***

Jul 2, 2013, 10:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

GoldenDomer ....

Jul 2, 2013, 1:09 PM

He is also a walk-on baseball player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jamison Steele

Jul 3, 2013, 9:50 PM [ in reply to name?*** ]

He's a transfer student. He played semi pro for 2 years after high school. The team he played for won the equivalent of the semi pro national championship last year. He isn't isn't the biggest guy on the field, but he is fast and very agile. He's down at camp right now in Tuscaloosa.
There is no way he is going to start, at least for a year or two since TJ Yeldon is taking the reins this year. If Jamison does really well he could be a starter when Yeldon leaves.

The recruits someone was talking about below only refer to high school recruiting classes, not walk ons or transfers.
I wasn't sure what type scholarship he had, I assumed it was a big one though.

I may hate Bama but I'm glad to see him get an opportunity like this.

Uhm, first off, if he played semi-pro, is he not inelligible

Jul 3, 2013, 11:22 PM

now? Second,he must have decided to go pro................

Re: Uhm, first off, if he played semi-pro, is he not inelligible

Jul 3, 2013, 11:39 PM

Yes he is still eligible. Semi Pro is still an amateur sport, just like club sports. Its more of a hobby, qlbeit a very intense and competitive hobby that is on the sam level as college football. The team my friend played played on had members that were former college players, a few current college players, and a couple of ex NFL players. Some kids who play college ball and choose to redshirt a season sometimes choose toplay semi pro in the off season as a means to improve themselves in games that are close to the competitiveness of college ball without sacrificing eligibility. As long as you do not accept payment for playing, then you are still eligible to play in the NCAA.
Most players even buy their own gear to play.

Re: Uhm, first off, if he played semi-pro, is he not inelligible

Jul 5, 2013, 9:44 AM

Semi-Pro by definition isn't amateur. there is high school, post grad prep, junior college, ...all done through academic institutions that can feed into college football. to my knowledge, there aren't any club football (full contact) teams in colleges. do you have a pet unicorn too?

Well you are obviously wrong then.

Jul 5, 2013, 10:13 AM

First Clemson itself has a full contact club football team along with many other univiersities.

http://clemsonclubfootball.wordpress.com/
http://www.uncclubfootball.com/
http://gsuclubfootball.webs.com/

Second, what would make a player ineligible is getting paid to play, not the act of playing in a semi-pro or whatever league.

But go on, I'm sure you know more than the guy with first hand knowledge of the situation.

Uhm, first off, if he played semi-pro, is he not inelligible

Jul 3, 2013, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Jamison Steele ]

now? Second,he must have decided to go pro................

Re: Jamison Steele

Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Jamison Steele ]

Why did he not go to college after high school?

This situation sounds unusual.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Jamison Steele

Jul 3, 2013, 11:46 PM

He had some stuff going on back home that he felt like he needed to stay and help with. He also went to a private 2-A school. While he is obviously good enough to play atthe college level, its harder for kids from smaller private schools to get a foot in the door to the bigger programs, so playing well in an amateur league with current and former D1 college players and former NFL guys (and winning a national championship in the process) helped him get some attention.

It worked since he's now training with the Tide in Tuscaloosa this month.

What Semi-Pro Team??***

Jul 5, 2013, 9:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Bama doesn't have a RB commit***

Jul 2, 2013, 10:09 AM

Sssshhhh let people continue with their internet fantasies.***

Jul 2, 2013, 1:17 PM

They have an ATH who is going to play RB in college

Jul 2, 2013, 1:33 PM

But he has been committed to them since September. Sooooooo want to change your story?

Full scholarship?

Jul 2, 2013, 1:50 PM

"Awarding of partial scholarships: Because each player receiving athletic aid for football counts fully against an FBS team's scholarship limit, this effectively means that all players awarded football scholarships at FBS schools receive full scholarships"

Age? *L****

Jul 3, 2013, 11:14 PM

Says it all...considering 3 SEC schools and Clemson***

Jul 5, 2013, 2:00 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,990
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic