Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got the preliminary return estimate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 94
| visibility 797

Got the preliminary return estimate

Jan 22, 2020, 8:40 AM

just over 8 grand. Thanks Trump and child tax credit

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imma assume I will not be as lucky as you

Jan 22, 2020, 8:42 AM

but Imma pray I am.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never gotten back that much. Would have to be due to an

Jan 22, 2020, 8:47 AM

error. I have owed that before, from an error.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The government thanks you for your interest free loan

Jan 22, 2020, 8:47 AM

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

I look at it this way

Jan 22, 2020, 8:58 AM

It's like putting money aside for a big family vacation. Otherwise i'd be spending that money on tools, beer, and house projects, and I'm not so poor that I need more money in every paycheck.

Mine usually goes to pay off debt, or savings

Jan 22, 2020, 9:16 AM

Car and credit card get first priority, and if no debt there then savings (529/401K/IRA).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably what I should start doing

Jan 22, 2020, 9:21 AM

We're debt free minus our mortgage

Us too. Way I figure it mortgage and vacations, food,

Jan 22, 2020, 9:52 AM

bills, etc. should come from whatever take home you have. Anything beyond, or any new money should go to debt first (except mortgage), or savings.

I usually take about 10% and blow it on whatever I want

Jan 22, 2020, 11:01 AM

and wife has 10% to blow on whatever she wants. The remaining 80% goes to responsible spending, such as my wife also blowing that on whatever she wants.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you buy her new jugs will it come out of your wallet

Jan 22, 2020, 11:06 AM

or hers

We don't have separate accounts, everything from one

Jan 22, 2020, 11:09 AM

bank account. She just has the uncanny ability to spend 3 times as much as I do.

Next time you change jobs, you gotta hide the

Jan 22, 2020, 11:24 AM

extra.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that stuff was on sale though. So you really saved***

Jan 22, 2020, 11:26 AM [ in reply to We don't have separate accounts, everything from one ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhh, you have a smart-shopping wife as well.***

Jan 22, 2020, 11:34 AM

Sunday we got a $20 tree for $5.00

Jan 22, 2020, 11:39 AM

...pot for it cost $30 bucks. BUT in reality this purchased saved me money because our funds don't co-mingle and I didn't have to buy the HVAC filters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly why we have two accounts. Mine and hers.

Jan 22, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to We don't have separate accounts, everything from one ]

And I bail her out yearly, as needed. We both have access to the bank accounts. I've never spent a dime on her account. She spends thousands every year on mine, then I pay her debt off that she didn't take out of mine to begin with. Ends up a wash I guess.

What really gets me is when I get a bonus or something I ask her if she needs anything to pay off her credit card or whatever. Always says no, tells me she has a small balance. Went and looked on her phone app one day and saw she somehow underestimated her credit card balance by 600% or so. Just gave her a check for the balance. She asked what it was for. I told her. She said that was way more than her balance. I said no it isn't, it's yesterday's EXACT balance.

#thatlook

Which...I guess is really why we have separate accounts.

never understood the two separate account thing

Jan 22, 2020, 11:43 AM

My wife and I have had a joint account since a year and a half before we got married. I probably spend more money on junk than she does and we have a rule where we have to talk to each other about purchases over $100.

Unh uh, this is a recipe for disaster.

Jan 22, 2020, 12:00 PM

We have a joint account that a predetermined amount from each of our paychecks is deposited into FIRST. This account pays the mortgage and bills. The balance of each paycheck goes into an individual account for each of us and that is your play money to do with as you wish.

Going on 7 years now and we've never had a fight about money

Jan 23, 2020, 11:11 AM

Got lucky with my gal I guess.

We discuss big purchases when she takes from my account

Jan 22, 2020, 12:00 PM [ in reply to never understood the two separate account thing ]

The problem is with the credit cards. I guess we do have a joint account really (mine), two if you count savings. She also has a checking account that I supposedly have access to, but don't. Then we have totally separate credit cards.

Beauty of direct draft savings

Jan 22, 2020, 9:16 AM [ in reply to I look at it this way ]

I’ve taken what would be a significant refund and had it drafted out of our checks into a direct draft credit union account. We never see it in our take home pay. My dad taught me that way back when I got my 1st job. Thanks to that “invisible “ saving, we’ve paid cash for our last 3 cars and my iptay/season tickets come out of that. In fact we haven’t had any interest bearing debt in over 8 years.

Congrats on paying off your debts at the age of 100***

Jan 22, 2020, 9:19 AM

Who do you think I am? Joe 21?***

Jan 22, 2020, 9:44 AM

Re: Who do you think I am? Joe 21?***

Jan 22, 2020, 12:00 PM
Snap5.png(67.0 K)

I look at it this way, but the per check is far less. I

Jan 22, 2020, 9:19 AM [ in reply to I look at it this way ]

could easily spend $100 a month more on beer and rock n roll t-shirts.

If you are getting $8,000 back

Jan 22, 2020, 9:22 AM [ in reply to I look at it this way ]

you have to be poor.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or bringing in 300K+ a year

Jan 22, 2020, 11:40 AM

Margin of error increases more you make.

Which one do you think it is?***

Jan 22, 2020, 12:06 PM

I would not presume to know.

Jan 22, 2020, 12:14 PM

I get burned when I go with the odds.

I'll be ecstatic with $1300.

Jan 22, 2020, 8:53 AM

But I don't pay too much in taxes to start with.

I don't even have my W2 yet. And I'll still need my K1

Jan 22, 2020, 9:05 AM

Based on Q4 dividends, tax man is going to own me this year.

At least we file an extension until October.

I need a K1 too.

Jan 22, 2020, 9:07 AM

Yeah they’re stupid and impractical but I used to drool over the one at Touring Sport in the early 90’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This reminds me a little bit of that time

Jan 22, 2020, 9:13 AM

Lane Myer skied the K12 on one ski.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buenos Dias Meyer! Nice job! Oink oink!

Weeeoooo! Weeeeoooo! Lookin' really good today buddy. Lookin' real good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make sure you have your J6, X5, and LMNOP8

Jan 22, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to I don't even have my W2 yet. And I'll still need my K1 ]

ready for your accountant, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got 6-7 grand last year and should again this year, but

Jan 22, 2020, 9:14 AM

it due to 2 kids in college and a wife in grad school.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats prob about how much I'll have to pay

This is maddening.

You realize, for the most part, everyone pays

Jan 22, 2020, 9:40 AM

the same taxes.

No children, so you don't get the $2k tax credit, and no dependents....but you also don't pay $6k a year in child care or have to pay for a wedding or for college or insurance or vehicles or everything else parents spend on their children.

So effectively, you will pay about $300K (per child) less than us and you define it as "maddening".

You're equating parenting to taxes?

Jan 22, 2020, 9:53 AM

I uses less public resources than people with kids...yet I pay more? How does that even make sense?

I pay taxes--a LARGE portion of my check-- all year long...then have additional $5-$8k taken from me. All because I don't have kids? Yeah..that's maddening.

I'm essentially being punished for not having kids.

You're not populating the country

Jan 22, 2020, 9:54 AM

The government sees it as the kids will eventually grow into tax paying adults who stimulate the economy. You're paying their share

44% of Americans pay no federal tax.

Jan 22, 2020, 9:58 AM

I'm not sold that many of you peoples kids are becoming tax paying adults who stimulate anything.

I'm going to teach mine every way I can to circumvent the

Jan 22, 2020, 10:02 AM

man. I refuse to raise a rule follower.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey, when you are ready to move out way out into

Jan 22, 2020, 10:05 AM

the country and start building a compound, lemme know.

I'm ready now

Jan 22, 2020, 10:08 AM

Every time my commute takes more than an hour, I start seriously considering moving to my wife's home town. I dunno W TF I'd do, but it would have to be better than living like you're part of an ant colony 5 days a week.

They just have that nasty black river water instead of our beautiful lakes, and I don't like that.

We'll need a mobile sawmill and more guns.***

Jan 22, 2020, 11:27 AM

We should be good on tools, I threw all my guns in the lake

Jan 22, 2020, 11:34 AM

Although I've been thinking about getting an AR-9 pistol to also throw in the lake. We need to make sure we standardize our calibers so we can throw the same ammo in the lake, as well.

Why are we throwing ammo into the lake?***

Jan 22, 2020, 11:44 AM

Because it's scary and we shouldn't have it***

Jan 22, 2020, 11:47 AM

Later this year when I'm forced to semi retire

Jan 22, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to I'm going to teach mine every way I can to circumvent the ]

I'll be sponging off the system.

Think of it as a starting bonus for future taxpayers

Jan 22, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to You're equating parenting to taxes? ]

You didn't produce any IRS future revenue streams....

Well yeah, but we also didn't produce any

Jan 22, 2020, 11:46 AM

drains on the system.

Well, neither did I.

Jan 22, 2020, 11:54 AM

You will surely be a drain on the system in your old age with no one to manage your care,

I always love this one.

Jan 22, 2020, 12:07 PM

"Who else will take care of me when I'm old?"

Thats a #### reason to have kids.

Well, not having children at some point does in fact

Jan 22, 2020, 12:10 PM

increase the chance that you will be relying on medicare in your senior days and in case of incapacitation. And also without having produced anyone who will be paying into the system to defray the cost of your care.

So your assertion that you will never receive any benefits is misleading at best. Unless you are going to foot the bill for private insurance in your medicare eligible years....

I'd think that extra $5-8K per year I'm paying

Jan 22, 2020, 12:15 PM

in ADDITION to what I pay from my paycheck would make a pretty good investment for that.

Good chance at least one of them is going to try to rob

Jan 22, 2020, 12:12 PM [ in reply to I always love this one. ]

you blind and put you in a POS care home, too. Maybe they'll visit once a year. I hope I'm mean enough that I could hang around as a spirit and haunt the #### out of my kids if they pull a stunt like that.

try $15k in child care

Jan 22, 2020, 11:33 AM [ in reply to You realize, for the most part, everyone pays ]

hurts every week. cant wait for kindergarten to give me a raise in september.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

easily

Jan 22, 2020, 11:35 AM

spent $4200 in daycare costs for only 4 months of part time daycare, and it was one of the cheapest places around

How much does your wife make to where that's worth it?

Jan 22, 2020, 11:36 AM

We figured my wife would need to be bringing home at least $3k a month to make it worth paying someone else to raise our kid.

She is a stay at home now

Jan 22, 2020, 11:47 AM

but to answer your question your wife needs to make at least $40-50k full time to be slightly above break even for one child. Anything less then she may as well be a stay at home mom so she can get the bonding time with the kid/s. To me the mom staying home with the kids from ages 0-5 is worth every penny that she isn't making because daycares SUCK. Our oldest hasn't been sick ONCE since last July. She was sick every week when in daycare.

Pro Tip:

Jan 22, 2020, 11:51 AM

When your kid goes to school, they will be sick all the time. Build up that immunity now or later, IMO.

Side note, we had two in day care and wife was making under $50. I guess it is different here than in Charleston.

we had a nanny for 2 days at $15/hr

Jan 22, 2020, 11:53 AM

added up real quick

They must not teach self defense in your child care

Jan 22, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to easily ]

facilities.

I think we run about $140/wk, but wife is a teacher so we don't pay for summer.

wow cheap up there

Jan 22, 2020, 11:49 AM

$230 for La Petite academy in charleston/week

We have friends in Maryland where it is $400/week for the same daycare chain

We were going to be at $175 a week***

Jan 22, 2020, 12:03 PM

We just toured Legacy Academy and it's $270 per week.

Jan 22, 2020, 1:02 PM

It's ridiculous how expensive these places are. Where in the world did you find $175 and was that for infants?

ROH

Sunshine House in Anderson

Jan 22, 2020, 1:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see it was a good bit pricier in Greenville.

It's all the #### Hollingsworth yuppies driving up prices.

Jan 22, 2020, 1:14 PM

For some reason, I thought y'all had moved towards Greenville after you left Pendleton.

ROH

Those aholes ruined my 4wheeling trails

Jan 22, 2020, 1:22 PM

No way, we moved even further away from Greenville. And will probably continue to do so as the urban sprawl creeps our way.

I would be all for that, but my wife wants to maintain her

Jan 22, 2020, 1:36 PM

proximity to her parents. Honestly I'm fine with that for now as much as they plan on helping with the baby.

ROH

That will be a huge help

Jan 22, 2020, 1:40 PM

Just having somewhere to drop the baby for an hour so you can go get groceries is YUUUGE. I have no idea how single parents do it.

Yeah, it is definitely going to be a game changer.

Jan 22, 2020, 1:55 PM

I don't understand how single parents do it, but also parents that don't live near any other family. We've got friends that are having twins Friday with no family within a 10 hour drive. They've got family coming into town for a week or so, but after that they're SOL on that kind of help.

ROH

ditto (but a good bit less), but we get relief in July.

Jan 22, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to try $15k in child care ]

$550 tuition
$240 After School Care
$50 transportation to school

$840 per month

We used to pay for multiple ones and that was a real PITA. Put us in a financial hole for a while.

I'm at 16.5K/yr for one kid in full time preschool

Jan 22, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to try $15k in child care ]

plus after school nanny who shuttles them home from school and stays with them only a few days a week when husband is traveling.

yep, at one point we were doing the $25K/year "deal" for

Jan 22, 2020, 11:59 AM [ in reply to try $15k in child care ]

two kids in nursery and preschool.
ahhhhh, but alas, they are now teenagers and I usually don't know where the he%% they are.

Hey, fuckos. I spent a year in AZ at $2K per month for

Jan 22, 2020, 12:04 PM [ in reply to try $15k in child care ]

3 kids, PART TIME (9am-3pm). And every third month, with 5 weeks of payments....$2,500. That's a pretty sweet house payment.

Hey man,

Jan 22, 2020, 12:19 PM

wear a fucking condom next time, nomsayin?

You should increase your allowances and funnel the

Jan 22, 2020, 11:49 AM

difference into something that can compound some interest for ya.

Let your money work for you instead of uncle Sam.

I'm thinking about buying a golf cart so I can look like a

phagg like all of these other people that own them just to cruise around the neighborhood.

Well, I have a golf cart and am assuredly not as you

Jan 22, 2020, 11:52 AM

but I also actually live on a golf course sooooo

In a few years your teenagers will be driving it

Jan 22, 2020, 11:55 AM

on the bicycle path running families on bicycles off the road.

Oh no, the HOA police don't allow kids to have fun in my

Jan 22, 2020, 12:12 PM

neighborhood.

Everyone hates until they get one too***

Jan 22, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to I'm thinking about buying a golf cart so I can look like a ]

I found out my employer didn't take out SC taxes last year

and only took out GA taxes at the state level. Not sure how this is going to screw me, but I assume it will.

ROH

How did they do that?

Jan 22, 2020, 12:19 PM

Did you live in Ga at all while working for them? Are they paying the SC taxes and penalties for you? What a mess.

I have never lived in GA. I live in SC and work in GA.

Jan 22, 2020, 12:59 PM

I will be making sure they pay any fees that come from it for sure. Absolutely ridiculous.

ROH

I always thought it’s where you work that you pay.

Jan 22, 2020, 9:19 PM

Any truing up is done behind the scenes when you do your return. This was normal every year I lived in S.C. and worked in Charlotte.

Man, y'all moved the wrong direction if you work in GA***

Jan 22, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to I found out my employer didn't take out SC taxes last year ]

I typically stay down there a night or two when I'm working

Jan 22, 2020, 1:05 PM

from the office. My time is split working from the office and working from home. No way I was moving down there for good. It is two hours door to door for me though so some weeks I just drive it back and forth if I have stuff going on in the evenings in Greenville.

ROH

Get paid mileage?

Jan 22, 2020, 1:19 PM

Back in the old live, the whole lived in worked in stuff was one thing I never fully grasped and just let ADP do what they wanted.

I get mileage and hotel for when I stay.

Jan 22, 2020, 1:39 PM

Our payroll is through ADP, but I don't think the company ever registered to pay income tax in SC and the old HR lady just did the lazy thing and signed me up to pay GA taxes. She no longer works for us for other reasons, but laziness didn't help.

ROH

Dood...change your claimed number of dependents

No sense in floating the gobmint that big of a loan.

You should buy 4 Peloton bikes

Jan 22, 2020, 12:03 PM

or two of their treadmills.

I'm thinking about buying one of those robotic seggs dolls

Jan 23, 2020, 11:07 AM

I can get a used on on ebay and only spend half of my return check

Re: Got the preliminary return estimate

Jan 22, 2020, 9:29 PM

91 replies. LOL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 94
| visibility 797
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic