Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU loss was the worst loss in Clemson history
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

FSU loss was the worst loss in Clemson history

Oct 30, 2014, 11:14 PM

I'm sick.

This is one long nightmare.

We had them and let them off the hook. Total choke. And now, they might win another national championship.

Win and we'd be in line to make the Playoffs.

Anything short of a national championship next year will fail to mend this. That game was a month and a half ago and it still disgusts me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FSU loss was the worst loss in Clemson history

Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 PM

last years FSU loss was pretty bad

end result is the same...no title

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2014, 11:20 PM

Whstige- Yes last year was awful as well. But at least I came away from the game knowing we lost to a far better team. It was embarrassing but FSU was extremely good last year.

This year is just a complete missed opportunity. More like 10 missed opportunities in one game.

And now they are pretty much a lock for the Playoffs.

Any loss to the yard birds is always the worst loss

Nov 1, 2014, 11:05 AM

in my book!!

worst loss in my lifetime easily.***

Re: Hello Wake Forest 2003***

Oct 31, 2014, 1:50 PM

Don't agree at all. Don't feel like arguing why either.

No, the 04 GT loss was the worst loss in terms of giving it away

Oct 30, 2014, 11:16 PM

But the fsu loss was bad because it had national implications riding on it

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^This

Oct 31, 2014, 11:21 AM

-PhD

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Oct 30, 2014, 11:18 PM

Take it easy. our defense wasn't exactly the same against FSU or UGA. We had our shot and couldn't close the deal. FSU does. Give them credit. We got beat by two good teams. Although I'll agree we don't fumble we probably win, but that's football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Defense wasnt the problem against FSU

Oct 30, 2014, 11:20 PM

Were we watching the same game?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU v. Clemson in Tallahassee?

Oct 31, 2014, 6:35 AM

That's the one I'm talking about. Fumbled the ball in over time.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Oct 31, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Re: FSU loss was the worst loss in Clemson history ]

We simply arent as good as FSU or Georgia... They make their own breaks and are always in the right spot at the right time. We are consistenly out of position to make our own breaks, is that what I am hearing from some of you ?

Good teams know how to win, they learn it and embrace it. It should be inherent in you as a competitor to always strive to be better, no matter how good you may be already. FSU refuses to lose, and it seems tha UoL and Clemson both had their chance but could not take advantage. Better teams usually do, and its on every level from coaching to playing to gameplanning!!!!

Go Tigers!!

Oct 30, 2014, 11:21 PM

It hurt for sure and we have got to start beating them and the Coots. 11 wins is not that great losing to FSU and the Coots every year.

Oct 30, 2014, 11:21 PM

Not sure about worst ever, but I agree with you in a sense. When you think about the 3 or 4 "gimmies" we missed, I still find it hard to believe we lost that game

Oct 30, 2014, 11:24 PM

We also have to consider that our defense this year is a once every 30 years type of defense. The type of defense that will carry you to a championship.

And we wasted it.

Oct 30, 2014, 11:23 PM

We're not ready for the big time just yet, maybe next year. Our offense is absolutely terrible without Watson. I'd much rather see FSU get another National Title and continue to lift the ACC than us get there and get blown out.

Oct 31, 2014, 8:49 AM

Here's my thing...

I'm so tired of the "we're not ready for the big time" argument. Then when? When are we going to be ready because there is turnover every year and next year our offense may be great again and our defense will take a step back.

At some point, our fans and our coaches have to quit making excuses for why we lose to FSU and SCar and take some responsibility that the time is now. There is never going to be a perfect year for us to say "ok you know what, NOW we are ready for the big time." Just go do your job and beat the coots.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Oct 31, 2014, 9:21 AM

Yep, the opportunity we had this year is rare. And we wasted it.

I find it crazy some of you are ok being a second fiddle program to FSU.

Oct 31, 2014, 1:11 PM

What in the H3LL would you have us do about it...whine and moan about the same sh!t over and over again? I for one understand we as fans can't do anything but move on. The powers that be at Clemson really don't care what is posted on a message board so except for finding a new team to root for that meets all of your expectations just grin and bare it.

FSU winning another title does not necessarily....

Oct 31, 2014, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: FSU loss was the worst loss in Clemson history ]

Lift the ACC. I think what we have seen already this year is evidence of that. FSU winning did nothing to slow the SEC hype train.
I agree that we aren't yet ready for a national playoff appearance yet...but by the end of the year we could be top 10 and close.
I actually think a big 12 or PAC 12 winner would be good from a national perspective...and would pull for them over FSU or the Sec.
We all need to remember that we eventually need FSU to slip a bit, lest they continue to build overall dynasty-type momentum.

Oct 30, 2014, 11:50 PM

Get over it. They apparently know how to win. We aren't 4-4. We are in position to win out. We are in position to go to the orange bowl. We will have the number one QB in the country next year, we are bringing in the #2 recruiting class. We have great wide receivers. We will still have a strong defense. We get our chance at the ######## noles next year at home and USuCk should still suck. Right now we need to beat wake win out with wins over GT and the coots and move on from this whiny baby BS about a game that won't change that happened weeks ago. Grow up and move on. If our players hade your attitude then we would be 1-7.

Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM

I'm not going to get over it unless we win a national championship next year. That's the goal of our program and we wasted a great opportunity this year in epic fashion.

Now we give our 2nd biggest rival that opportunity.

Besting SC will be nice but other than that our season died with that choke.

An 11-2 season would feel empty if FSU won it all.

Oct 31, 2014, 6:38 AM

I completely agree

Well be prepared to not get over it.

Oct 31, 2014, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Re: FSU loss was the worst loss in Clemson history ]

National titles don't grow on trees.

WVU

Oct 30, 2014, 11:55 PM

Is the only game that I couldn't watch til the end. Embarrassing on so many levels.

Perhaps someone that cannot let go of a loss from over a...

Oct 31, 2014, 12:05 AM

month ago may be facing an epithet of "moron" himself. Let it go and heal thyself!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reflection on past events is a sign of awareness

Oct 31, 2014, 11:41 AM

Maybe others should reflect and actually take time to learn from past events. The best predictor of future performance is based upon past performance, where you have hopefully learned from mistakes. That is why we have a memory to begin with, and as a fan we use it to remember those times when we lost an opportunity. I think about our games often, and about 6 weeks ago if events turn out differently then we are in the hunt for a playoff spot as long as we continue to WIN.

So, allow yourself to reflect for a moment and please refrain from bickering about those of us who want to actually think about what happened that fateful night.

Thanks.

Go Tigers!!

I agree with everything you said, except

Oct 31, 2014, 12:26 AM

the part about Florida State winning another national championship this year. There is NO way they win against any of the other 3 teams in the playoff. They're just not that good. FSU is probably the 15th best team in the country. And that's possibly a little generous. SCREW FSU and their sketchy coaching staff and players.

We don't have an OLine to make it through a playoff

Oct 31, 2014, 3:25 AM

We're not the best team in the country *this* year. Going to a big bowl and winning is a blessing in disguise. We didn't beat FSU b/c we weren't good enough. We were darn close though!

Oct 31, 2014, 7:21 AM

If Watson would have played to whole game!!! Blame that on the coaches

Oct 31, 2014, 7:25 AM

Let. It. Go. Live in the present my friend and I guarantee you will be much happier. Anything short of a NC will be a disappointment to you? I understand setting the bar high and I'm not saying we won't have a chance....but come on man! We are exactly where I thought we would be at this point in the season and where most of the talking heads did as well. I'd say we have at least met expectations at this point and with the O-line we have on the field we may even be ahead. It's called being reasonable...look into it.

worster than Vietnam. . Viet f!^/#ng Nam Man !***

Oct 31, 2014, 7:28 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

How do Kentucky and Mizzou make you feel? LOL oh yeah A&M***

Oct 31, 2014, 8:09 AM

Bless your heart***

Oct 31, 2014, 8:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I completely agree, not even a close 2nd IMO

Oct 31, 2014, 8:27 AM

demoralizing defeat that could have started a dumpster fire here... BUT to our Tigers resolve and character, they have been digging deep to come up with some W's and I am very proud of them! Any way you look at it, the loss was hard on the team, coaches, and fans. I will never forget watching that game and the feeling I had as they scored that TD in overtime, heart dropped into my stomach and I was pretty much distraught over what I had just witnessed.

We win that game and we are in prime position for a spot in the playoff and also the best season since 1981. We let victory slip away, much like UoL last night! Noles could(should) have 2 losses, instead they are undefeated and headed to playoffs as things sit at this moment. They have the type of fortune that makes championship teams, we all know and understand sometimes skill isnt enough and you need some good bounces and they have gotten every last one of them!!! Auburn was much the same last year.

Go Tigers!!

You don't remember the Bowden era or WVU

Oct 31, 2014, 8:32 AM

We took the #1 team down to the wire and lost in overtime. Sure that hurts, but getting EMBARRASSED on national TV and being the butt of jokes for multiple years ("West Virginia just scored again!") was much worse IMO. I was at the Orange Bowl and that was by far the lowest point of my Clemson fandom.

Losing to the Wake Forests and Dukes (when Duke was a dumpster fire) of the world during the Bowden era was pretty awful too.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You don't remember the Bowden era or WVU

Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 AM

I remember well, but they did not have the resonance within my soul that simply put hurt my soul. Deep down inside, in places we dont talk about, that loss will reside.

WVU was ugly, but as much of a ass-whooping it was it does not even compare to that sensation I had as the FSU RB going into the endzone to clinch the game. WVU, again, not even compareable given the way the game played out. When you win in every single category with exception of special teams(technically only the FG kicking), and win those categories in spectacular fashion while holding FSU to negative(at end of regulation) rushing yards....but you still lose. Heartshattering... I literally could not sleep, total state of confusion and exhaustion from giving it all I had as a fan of our Tigers!!

Hands down, worst loss to take in history of Clemson Univerity. We have lost by much bigger margins on the scoreboard, but in my gut, heart, & soul FSU decimated my spirit that night.

Go Tigers!!

It definitely was, in terms of what could have been.

Oct 31, 2014, 8:51 AM

That one win would have put us in the playoff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did the same against Auburn a few years back.***

Oct 31, 2014, 10:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Oct 31, 2014, 11:19 AM

bmore: I agree with you. The scary thing is that when i look at the games since then I really fail to see somethinga that most really good teams do that we don't. Throw the ball over the middle on slants, use our TEs as they should be used, come up with a short yardage package that actually works, etc. Sure we have seen them occasionally but not enough IMO

Worst loss in history was actually a tie - in 1950

Oct 31, 2014, 11:46 AM

The worst loss (to me) was 1950 and was actually a tie, not a loss. The tie was the only blemish in an Orange Bowl season ... and South Carolina was wearing that tie.

Oct 31, 2014, 12:18 PM

> I'm sick.
>
> This is one long nightmare.
>
> We had them and let them off the hook. Total choke.
> And now, they might win another national
> l championship.
>
> Win and we'd be in line to make the Playoffs.
>
> Anything short of a national championship next year
> will fail to mend this. That game was a month and a
> half ago and it still disgusts me.

i dont agree. beating them by a small margin w/o J Winston is a great feat? did anyone here watch him last nite, against a top defense, hobbled by an injury the second half? in my opinion, that was one of the best performances by a player that i have ever seen. and im 73 yrs old and played some in the 50's for the Tigers. most weeks i bet big money on college football and no way would i bet on my tigers to come close to FSU with a healthy Winston.

It is the worst in a very long time.

Oct 31, 2014, 1:20 PM

So many ridiculous things had to happen to keep us from winning. SO much was at stake. It was the worst choke I have ever seen in football.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 1:26 PM

The loss was heartbreaking, but I believe the whole team grew a lot from it, and as a result of it, we have been winning the last few games despite the injuries.

I could imagine that if we had a snatched a victory with ease in that Florida State game, this season could have potentially turned out to be similar to 2011.
One of our last three games could have been a letdown game with possibly more losses following. We were undefeated in 2011, and our first letdown game came against unranked team. In that season, we lost three of our last 4. That was the year we also beat Florida State and went to the ACCCG (winning it) and then going to the Orange Bowl (which we played poorly in). The Clemson team that year was not as mature.

What would be worse is if we had beaten Florida State that night in Tallahassee but then got woodshedded this past weekend by Syracuse at home on our Homecoming with those 4 Turnovers, high snap, and redzone problems! :0

Nov 1, 2014, 9:54 AM

There are only two teams we had to beat to make the playoffs: Florida State and Georgia and in each one we found silly ways to lose the game. I did not put the coots in there since we should hang 70 on them since their defense is one of the worst in all of football and our defense is one of the best. It is what it is...a lost opportunity for sure and we will talk about it for a long time to come.

Nov 1, 2014, 11:22 AM

I'm not sure we can quite make that determination yet. Now, if we go on undefeated, win the Orange Bowl, and FSU wins out and wins the National Championship... then I would say it's a contender for worst loss ever.

Nov 1, 2014, 11:30 AM

Your attitude sickens me! Get a life.
Chocke ? Your are pathetic!

Nov 1, 2014, 11:33 AM

agree it was awful and there was no reason for the loss..but I don`t know if it was worst we ever had..

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic