Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
worst home attendance at death valley ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

worst home attendance at death valley ever?

Nov 7, 2013, 1:56 PM

what is it? I don't really recall any terrible attendances in my days. The corners of the upper decks are empty often but I've never seen worse than that. Have you? what game and year? Tommy West days?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel like there was a game in '05 or '06

Nov 7, 2013, 1:59 PM

where we were playing Duke or someone and it was raining.

Stadium was pretty empty for a couple of the rainy games in 2009 too.

Wake Forest circa 1993

Nov 7, 2013, 1:59 PM

it was raining like crazy and clemson nation had long given up on hatfield. i think it was announced at 59000 or so, but there is no way there were 40k there. pitiful.

ALL IN!!

Fan Boycotts I and II

Nov 7, 2013, 2:06 PM

Many fans boycotted during the latter years of both Hatfield and West.

IMO the administration felt Fan Boycott III was about to occur when the trigger got pulled in the Bowden situation.

I was a student then. Worst gameday ever at Clemson, nothing

Nov 7, 2013, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Wake Forest circa 1993 ]

has been that bad since.

I really think that was the day the decision to fire Hatfield was made. It didn't help that Wake beat us, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure about ever...but tonight is looking pretty slim...

Nov 7, 2013, 2:06 PM

the stands are empty and not much going on around the stadium...C'mon Tiger Fans there is no excuse not to fill the stadium tonight!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some grounds crew were cutting the grass just an hour ago

Nov 7, 2013, 2:07 PM

talk about procrastination, good lord!

Hate to tell you...

Nov 7, 2013, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Not sure about ever...but tonight is looking pretty slim... ]

But it's an away game. We're playing at Bobby Dodd tonight. The good news is you can still make it!

Duke, Wake, a bunch of FCS games...

Nov 7, 2013, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Not sure about ever...but tonight is looking pretty slim... ]

...have been pretty slim, especially upstairs. Announced for those games is always 65-75k, but there's no way that many people actually come through the gate.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: worst home attendance at death valley ever?

Nov 7, 2013, 2:13 PM

I think it was Ken Hatfield's last Wake Forest game at home. I had box seats at that game it I sat there and could not believe what I was seeing. I bet if there were 40,000 fans there I would be generous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2013, 2:14 PM

One of the worst I saw was vs. UTEP, I think it was '97. There couldn't have been much over 40k in the stands. On the plus side, that was the first game I took my son to (He was 5 at the time) and he never got bored and wanted to stay for the whole game. Fast-forward 15 years and he's now a Clemson senior, graduating in May :) .

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2013, 2:15 PM

worst I can remember is TCU 2009

I think Noah's ark floated by that game....flood warning throughout the upstate and northern GA and southern TN....horrible weekend weather. Of course Sunday was a beautiful day. I would guess there may have been 40-50k fans if that.

Message was edited by: CUAtTheFinishLine®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that fircking stupid tipped pass***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:25 PM

Nov 7, 2013, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: worst home attendance at death valley ever? ]

I was at that game the crowd was really not bad until the bottom dropped out right before half.Who was it that missed the wide open game winning TD late in the 4th.I think it was CJ?

Nov 7, 2013, 3:31 PM

The only fans in the upper deck the entire game were between the 30's

I don't remember a missed pass. CJ caught one at the 5 near the end of the half. I remember a TCU pass that should have been knocked down that was caught for a TD (i.e. the tipped pass referred to above)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2013, 3:43 PM

I think somebody dropped a TD pass in the back of the Endzone, but I could be wrong.That was a crappy game,it poured down the whole 2 half.

Nov 7, 2013, 3:44 PM

My wife's little honda accord almost didn't make it out of lot 2A

Nov 7, 2013, 3:50 PM

I drove my truck but yea the water was running pretty good in the streets.

Definitely WFU during Hatfield. Also, 2009 lighting delay

Nov 7, 2013, 2:16 PM

game against Boston College. It was really bizarre watching a Clemson game with what seemed like 10,000 people in attendance. I think there were 2 one hour delays and by 2nd half attendance was sparce.

I was there for the 2009 game. No joke - we left during the

Nov 7, 2013, 2:25 PM

First lightning delay, after sitting through it for a bit. Got back to my girlfriend's parent's house and dried off and it was still in delay. We were both kind of tired, so figured we'd just head home (we live in Charleston). I made it back to my house in Charleston in time to catch the end of that game on TV. Blew my mind that I could watch the first part of a game in the stadium and catch the end on my couch, 4 hours away.

I thought that was the TCU game?***

Nov 7, 2013, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Definitely WFU during Hatfield. Also, 2009 lighting delay ]

Maybe - but the BC game was rain-delayed as well

Nov 7, 2013, 3:48 PM

http://www.wspa.com/story/21481213/clemson-completely-shuts-down-boston-college-25-7

Nov 7, 2013, 2:18 PM

Remember when we played Maryland on September 23,1989 right after Hurricane Hugo hit on Thursday/Friday, there were a lot of empty seats.

UTEP game in 1998

Nov 7, 2013, 2:20 PM

It was a 1pm Saturday game, and there was maybe about 50k there. It was pretty sad.

pretty miner crowd?***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:21 PM

Re: pretty miner crowd?***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc

There's something in these hills.

it had to have been in the Hatfield days when we were

Nov 7, 2013, 2:24 PM

sending a message to the administration.

Which was what? That we wanted Tommy West? haha***

Nov 7, 2013, 2:26 PM

As best I can remember Maryland in 1969.......

Nov 7, 2013, 2:42 PM

was pretty empty as it was raining like hell. The main thing I remember about that game (other than the rain) was Charley Waters catching a TD pass on the goal line and sliding all the way to the back of the East endzone.

And, of course, that was Coach Howard's last season - I do remember that as well.

Another thing, this was either the first or second season for the last Voice of The Tigers, Jim Phillips.

I'd say GT in...2002? We played them in a tropical storm

Nov 7, 2013, 2:47 PM

I no longer remember the year but looking at the history I want to say it was 2002. Anyway it was raining like we were gonna have to build an ark...could not have been more than 15K at the game. They announced that everyone could come down to the lower decks and find a place to sit. Even after that it could not have been more than 20% full. I've never been that soaking wet in my entire life.

Hardest rain I ever sat through at a game.***

Nov 7, 2013, 3:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hardest rain I ever sat through at a game.***

Nov 8, 2013, 8:05 AM

I was in the front row of the north stands and the pooling water was up to my mid-shins--the drainage system could not keep up. For a while I thought we were going to have to move up a couple rows because it looked like the seats might actually become submerged (not that it mattered much; the diehards in my section were pretty rowdy and we stood the whole game, partly to see over the GT sideline and partly to heckle them). Fortunately the rain let up a little bit in the first quarter, just enough so the drains could catch up.

TONIGHT!!! *****

Nov 7, 2013, 3:29 PM

Since when?

Nov 7, 2013, 4:02 PM

I am sure before the upper decks got built the attendance was considerably lower.

All jokes aside pick a starting year....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TCU game. It was monsooning

Nov 7, 2013, 4:08 PM

and your average folk didnt think TCU was anything more than Central Michigan or the like. The upper decks were empty... I think, couldnt see them most of the game since it was raining so hard.

Nov 7, 2013, 4:18 PM

Mine graduating in may as well!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic