Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Statement from Dr. Terry Don Phillips
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Feb 13, 2007, 6:22 PM

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's much better than Barker's statement.***

Feb 13, 2007, 6:28 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it explains one of the key points

Feb 13, 2007, 6:41 PM

I think the reference to the last minute AARC problem addresses one of the major issues. I thought both statements were about as much as you could legitimately expect either to say. Basically together they state that each side made/might have made some significant mistakes and those will be reviewed and addressed. That's all we can really ask them to do - try to review the mistakes and correct them such that they do not happen again. And to recognize that mistakes are made on both "sides."

I think 90% of Clemson fans don't want to choose "sides" - we truly do want One Clemson. We want excellent academics AND athletics and think both can be achieved. We want the process analyzed so that improvements can be made in both areas. We recognize mistakes are made and give our input to help correct them, not just to go around yelling how stupid people are for making them.

Unfortunately, the 5% or so of people that take one side are very vocal and more well represented in places like internet sports websites (which slant towards athletics), academic organizations (which slant towards academics), and the media (which has people slating each way depending on the type of media and the direction of the wind).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Statement from Dr. Terry Don Phillips

Feb 13, 2007, 6:29 PM

appreciate and greatly respect the leadership of President Barker. Contrary to what has been said or written, President Barker strongly supports athletics in a very significant fashion. Provost Dori Helms is a fair minded and outstanding Provost. Dori has been very good to work with on those occasions that I must appeal denials of admissions from the AARC. Dr. Larry LaForge is an excellent faculty representative. While Larry is new to the position, he is very level headed and thoughtful. And, even though there are some differences, I know the AARC members are very conscientious professionals who work hard to do their job as they are currently charged. In several situations, they have been unfairly criticized for their work.
? In one case this year, had the AARC had more timely information from the Athletic Department, the withdrawal of a scholarship offer at the last minute would not have occurred. This is our fault and will be corrected.

more BS.

At least TDP has the balls to say they

Feb 13, 2007, 6:30 PM

dropped the ball on one recruit, D. Jones I am sure. But it is funny, MP said that TDP would come out with a nice company line report.

Germans...***

Feb 13, 2007, 6:31 PM

looks like he's being the good soldier like Plyler predicted***

Feb 13, 2007, 6:36 PM

Not exactly a tough prediction to make. Barker is

Feb 13, 2007, 6:40 PM

prohibited by law and NCAA regulations from talking about grades or even mentioning kids we didn't get by law. What else is he going to say? TDP is an employee of the University. No employee of any company is going to make a different statement unless he wants to get fired.

At least it seems, from both statements, that they are going

Feb 13, 2007, 6:39 PM

to review their process. That may be some progress?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Nuff said!

Feb 13, 2007, 7:49 PM

it sounds like big corporate bureaucracy...some Harvard Phd. comes up with a brilliant program(without testing it) forces this program down the chain. The program doesn't fit the customer( without the customer you go out of business), then we get the explanation that the program wasn't understood ( we're too stupid).
What about the kid that went and signed with UNC. What's their acadimic standard compaired to Clemson. How many on this review board know what is, is.

Feb 13, 2007, 7:51 PM

I'm not diss'n TDP

Feb 13, 2007, 8:04 PM

There is a good chance D. Jones is going to have to go to a prep school before he enrolls at North Carolina.

Feb 14, 2007, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Statement from Dr. Terry Don Phillips ]

Sounds like people from the north coming south and accessing our taxes!

...with a glaring omission of a mention of Huey and Bowman***

Feb 14, 2007, 1:29 AM

Re: Terry Don Phillips is a "DR." Do not question him.

Feb 14, 2007, 6:24 AM

He will get all medical on you.

TDP must have gotten blisters towing the company line!

Feb 14, 2007, 5:46 PM

I don't blame TDP for being diplomatic to keep his job. But he dodges the key issue. Why does Clemson's academic review board turn down athletes that other top (even better) universities accept? Somebody PLEASE explain that.

I say, err on the side of admitting student athletes who might NOT graduate-- especially if they've got a good chance to join the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc, before they graduate! I'll bet pro athletes donate a lot of money to their alma maters.

But feel free to hold the swim team to higher academic standards.

This is a definitive statement

Feb 14, 2007, 8:46 PM

There is no university conspiracy to devalue the football program in favor of an academic ranking. To suggest so is simply not true. If I believed that, I would not remain at Clemson

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic