Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where there's smoke, there's fire: Clemson Bball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Where there's smoke, there's fire: Clemson Bball

Mar 25, 2013, 10:32 PM

Forget pumpers vs dumpers, this is about what's really happening. No spin.

There are now BRAD guys that are leaving, tweeting, etc.

Filer can take back his tweets or whatever but there's always SOME degree of truth to these statement

BRAD has lost control of this team unfortunately

forget everything else re: how much talent he inherited, bad luck with injuries, etc

THIS IS ON BRAD.

HE MAKES 1.2 MILLION DOLLARS YEARLY.

EMPTY SEATS, NO ENTHUSIASM.

CONFERENCE GETTING TOUGHER

PLAYERS LEAVING

Only 2 players taller than 6'8....neither did anything this year
What's gonna happen when one turns an ankle?
Or gets the phantom Duke-UNC 2nd foul w/ a 1:15 into the game?

Interestingly, NO COMMENT FROM D-RAD so far

NCAA TOURNEY COACHES W/ NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS GETTING FIRED AND WE'RE AFRAID TO LET BRAD BROWNELL GO?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

where is the tweets?***

Mar 25, 2013, 11:14 PM

Actually only one player above 6'8 now.

Mar 25, 2013, 11:35 PM

Nnoko is 6'9-6'10 and Josh Smith is 6'7. Blossomgame who some think can play down low because he is 6'7 is not close to big enough yet to play in the paint.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should go to Australia or Germany to find some "big" men

Mar 25, 2013, 11:56 PM

Boston College did, UNC Asheville Did! St. Marys did !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We should go to Australia or Germany to find some "big" men

Mar 26, 2013, 1:52 AM

Brownell might have to just sign any guy on campus taller than 6'6". This is getting ridiculous.

Re: German's would be perfect

Mar 26, 2013, 8:11 AM [ in reply to We should go to Australia or Germany to find some "big" men ]

from a Tigernet vernacular standpoint

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where there's smoke, there's fire: Clemson Bball

Mar 26, 2013, 5:19 AM

This is good!
However,I think we need to give Brad the benefit of the doubt,and "one" more season.
If no improvement is shown,especially in recruiting,and in competition then I would say D-RAD would need to address it then!

Mar 26, 2013, 6:48 AM

Classy calling Filer a liar and stating that he has lost control of the team when there is not much evidence to support that.

The team never quit on their coach this year. They played hard in every game even when there was not much to play for.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 26, 2013, 8:20 AM

And what did Filer tweet [or otherwise offer his wisdom about]?
Brownell has got a very tough job. Recruiting basketball players to Clemson has never been easy. Just recall Maravich,Foster,Ellis,Locke,Barnes and Purnell. He is trying to create interest in a sporting team in a rural setting that worships football. Yep; he does need to find a few diamonds in the rough and develop them. Maybe Filer is one of those guys--yet to bloom at this level. Let's wait and see where Sullivan lands. I wouldn't be surprised to see another transfer but hope he can keep them intact. I am pulling for Brownell to succeed and Clemson to win. Are you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2013, 8:31 AM

Again, three seasons and it's time for him to go? That's ridiculous, and that's NOT the way to build a productive program.
In that line of thinking, Coach K would have been fired years ago at Duke. And those people wanted him out. How would that have worked out?
But their AD stood strong and knew he had the right man. Hope ours follows that same path.

Mar 26, 2013, 9:14 AM

While I do agree with the main point of your post (that changing coaches after 3 years is counterproductive to building a strong program), Coach Brownell finds himself in something of a slippery situation. Clemson has a new Athletic Director who didn't hire ANY of our current coaches. This, coupled with the fact that the basketball team just had their worst season in a number of years, is bound to make both the basketball coaching staff AND prospective recruits uneasy about Clemson's basketball future.

I personally think Coach Brownell CAN be the individual to solidify Clemson's basketball foundation---but he sure as heck needs far more than 3years in which to do so.......I also find it hilarious that some of the "experts" on Tigernet immediately start mentioning Tubby Smith's name rather than Ben Howland as possible coaching replacements when both became available!!!!!!! (and for the record, I don't think either would be interested--though ya never know)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replacing coaches every three years sends a message....

Mar 26, 2013, 9:18 AM

to the coaching community that your administration has unrealistic expectations which makes finding quality replacement coaches all the more difficult.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

you can't replace him....at this point with how bad of a

Mar 26, 2013, 9:24 AM

mess this program is in you just have to ride out the storm now. There's really no way out.

I agree....

Mar 26, 2013, 9:41 AM

Coach Brownell has been forced to endure some adverse circumstances that were beyond his control. You simply can't fire the man for that.

you can obviously look at football and baseball

Mar 26, 2013, 9:46 AM

and say there is a lot of reason for optimism. Good recruiting classes...good fan support...etc. This program as we sit today is the worst in the conference. GT changed coaches a year after us and they are in better shape I would argue...better facilities...roster has stabilized. There appears to be little/no leadership on this roster. It's going to take 3-4 more years to get this turned around.

Being so thin in the frontcourt next year.....

Mar 26, 2013, 9:51 AM

is likely going to create a lot of match-up problems for us. I sure hope we shoot much better next year and make a very high percentage of first shot baskets from the perimeter because we may not get too many second chances.

seeing these guys go from the shooters we saw this past

Mar 26, 2013, 9:53 AM

yr to suddenly accurate shooters in one year might be a stretch.... :)

There's a better chance of ....

Mar 26, 2013, 10:06 AM

discovering the fountain of youth, locating Noah's Arc or winning a $500 million Powerball drawing.

agreed***

Mar 26, 2013, 10:09 AM

better to wait or go full force after a howland-tubby-shaka-

Mar 26, 2013, 9:58 AM [ in reply to you can't replace him....at this point with how bad of a ]

marshall

lets face it....brownell is not going to survive another 4-5 win acc season..

and nothing i see makes me think we won't be WORSE than that next year

Re: better to wait or go full force after a howland-tubby-shaka-

Mar 26, 2013, 10:03 AM

lol another ill informed delusional post from Cedceb... shocking.

Please give logical reasons why Shaka or Marshall would come here.

null

if they seriously considered it I would wonder about their

Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 AM

sanity/decision making ability

I have known Gregg Marshall personally for over 40 years.....

Mar 26, 2013, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: better to wait or go full force after a howland-tubby-shaka- ]

Like most coaches, Gregg has a HUGE ego and loves a challenge. On that basis, if offered, I do think he would seriously consider coming to Clemson. However, I am not sure Clemson would be willing to offer up the kind of money it would take to get him. He turned down a $2 million annual salary to go to Nebraska last year.

Re: I have known Gregg Marshall personally for over 40 years.....

Mar 26, 2013, 10:16 AM

I would love to have Marshall... I dont see it happening though.

null

Well...Clemson doesn't have an opening.....

Mar 26, 2013, 10:22 AM

and isn't going to have an opening until this time next year at the earliest (if then).

Re: Well...Clemson doesn't have an opening.....

Mar 26, 2013, 10:23 AM

agreed

null

what kind of salary do you think he would command?***

Mar 26, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to I have known Gregg Marshall personally for over 40 years..... ]

With bonuses and incentives....

Mar 26, 2013, 10:32 AM

he makes about $1 million annually at Wichita State but you wouldn't just be bidding against Wichita State. You would also likely be bidding against other potential suitors.

If he decides to leave Wichita, depending upon where he ends up and the typical cost of living adjustmwents, I think he would receive something in the $1.75 to $2 million range annually. You may recall, he turned down $2 million annually to go to Nebraska last year.

is he a better coach than BB to you?***

Mar 26, 2013, 10:34 AM

Overall...yes...

Mar 26, 2013, 10:55 AM

Gregg has been coaching about six years longer than Brownell.

If making it to the NCAA Tournament is the barometer, in fifteen season as a head coach, Gregg's team have made nine NCAA Tournament appearances compared to four by Brownell over ten seasons. Gregg aklso won one NIT Championship

Gregg's overall win/loss record is 331 - 152 (.685) compared to Brownell's of 203 - 110 (.649).

Ultimately it boils down to the style of play and recruiting. Gregg is very demanding, disciplined and attentive to details. I think he is a better evaluater, recruiter, and game coach. High School coaches and parents love him.

only true if you're bringing in a young, inexperienced coach

Mar 26, 2013, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Replacing coaches every three years sends a message.... ]

a tubby, howland, marshall who HAVE won already at that level don't need to prove anything to the Clemson AD

guys like Dabo (who we hit a HR on) and Bbrownell (questioned this hire b/c of recruiting all along) are more of a risk

Brownell in 2-3 yrs will have guys like hall coleman ,etc as seniors....just dont see them as doing anything significant....not with NO big, a stronger acc, and ugly style of play.

recruiting has been average at best.
and who's to say another 1-2 dont leave
mass exodus is always a bad sign

How do you lure guys like Tubby or Howland to Clemson

Mar 26, 2013, 10:03 AM

Most coaches have HUGE egos and love a challenge, and Clemson certainly offers that, but ultimately, money talks and I simply cannot envision a scenario where Clemson would agree to pay a basketball coach between $2.5 million and $3 million annually.

Re: How do you lure guys like Tubby or Howland to Clemson

Mar 26, 2013, 10:07 AM

Dont confuse his delusions BigCUFan.

He thinks if we fire a coach after 3 years then we will be bale to go out and get whoever we want. Hell why stop with those guys lets get Petino!

I am sure he would leave his top facility in the nation to come coach and recruit players to our dump.

Fact is Marshall and Shaka are both at better locations right now. They both have better facilities and fan support.

null

Re: How do you lure guys like Tubby or Howland to Clemson

Mar 26, 2013, 2:30 PM [ in reply to How do you lure guys like Tubby or Howland to Clemson ]

WSU's current roster has 6 JUCOs out of the 7 juniors and seniors listed. Don't know how its looked in previous years, but it appears Marshall leans heavily on recruiting from that talent pool. Do you think he would come to CU with the very limited access to that talent group?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I want nothing to do with Marshall as he is a coot at heart.***

Mar 26, 2013, 2:33 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic