Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Police Report for Howard's Rock Vandalism
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Football Update: Police Report for Howard's Rock Vandalism

Jun 13, 2013, 10:26 AM

Police Report for Howard's Rock Vandalism

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just hope this pisses off the players as much as it does me***

Jun 13, 2013, 10:27 AM

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

$500 is slightly undervaluing the damage.***

Jun 13, 2013, 10:28 AM

what would be the auction value of The Rock?

Jun 13, 2013, 10:44 AM

If Clemson was to put The Rock and pedestal on auction, what do you think the winning bid would be? It would be in the hundreds of thousands, I'm sure.

Is a baseball signed by Mickey Mantle worth $8? No. If you broke a bat used by Babe Ruth, would the damage be assessed at $30? No.

That's how you figure the damage here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd put up $500 to keep the rock right where it is... and

Jun 13, 2013, 10:48 AM

I'm a poor college student. Therefore, I imagine there is some alumnus/fan willing to pay FAR MORE than that to have it sitting on a display in his or her home/office.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PRICELESS!!***

Jun 13, 2013, 12:05 PM [ in reply to what would be the auction value of The Rock? ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what would be the auction value of The Rock?

Jun 15, 2013, 10:11 PM [ in reply to what would be the auction value of The Rock? ]

I would bet "The Rock" in question would fetch at least a 6 figure amount, and maybe in the 7's. There probably would be some coots who would pay that just to say they accomplished something in their lives, but even that wouldn't make their lives worthwhile. They are an empty hole, and no amount of money, or stuff ever will be able to fill the void.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $500 is slightly undervaluing the damage.***

Jun 13, 2013, 11:39 AM [ in reply to $500 is slightly undervaluing the damage.*** ]

I've studied some law but by no means an expert. $500 dollars was the amount put on it so it could be considered a larceny charge instead of a misdemeanor. This makes it a more serious charge.

I understand your point but that old rock is invaluable***

Jun 13, 2013, 11:49 AM

I agree that you can't put a price tag on it

Jun 13, 2013, 1:09 PM

but you can't leave that box blank on the police report and $500 makes it a larceny charge. So I'm not sure whyh people are upset at that aspect. The real crime is the vandalism to a piece of our cherished heritage.

$500 is a legal value, not an actual value

Jun 13, 2013, 8:24 PM [ in reply to $500 is slightly undervaluing the damage.*** ]

The police officer at the scene is obviously not qualified to estimate the value or the amount of damage done. Notice it said (paraphrased) "actual damage pending". $500 is put on there to establish that the crime was greater than a simple misdemeanor.

Re: Football Update: Police Report for Howard's Rock Vandalism

Jun 13, 2013, 10:48 AM

The damage estimate of this is just ridiculous, you couldn't even go to DV and get a new rock and come back for less than several thousand dollars, and thats just replacement value. Doesn't even consider the historic and cultural significance of the rock.

Petty Larceny is not the right charge

Jun 13, 2013, 10:54 AM

the value estimate was far too low. I guarantee you Clemson has an insurance policy on the rock, and the value estimate should be tied to that insurance policy's value.

Gus it's just the police report..

Jun 13, 2013, 11:24 AM

The real valuations come in to play when the prosecutor is determining charges to be filed. Also, items list on arrest report like petty larceny have no effect on what the actual charge by a prosecutor will be. You can bet your ### a prosecutor there is gonna up charge it.

Missing pieces found???

Jun 13, 2013, 2:29 PM

Based on the police report, pieces of The Rock were found nearby. Does anybody know if the missing chunk has been recovered?

$500 for lock and case. Artifact damage undetermined...

Jun 13, 2013, 11:28 AM

as of yet?

LOVE IT!! not just a rock -- it's STATE property!!!!***

Jun 13, 2013, 8:25 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: LOVE IT!! not just a rock -- it's STATE property!!!!***

Jun 15, 2013, 11:59 PM

If it were put up for action does it being vandalized change what someone would pay for it or did it increase in value because of the story added to its legacy?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic