Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For better or for worse, COVID-19 has exposed the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,342

For better or for worse, COVID-19 has exposed the

Aug 11, 2020, 8:18 PM

beginning of the end of college football as we've come to know it in the past ten-twenty years.

The amount of money in college athletics has become absurd. Players wanting to form a union to demand profit sharing transitions the college athlete from student-athlete to professional. However, the reality is the amount of money divided among all college athletes would be rather small.

The haves and the have-nots have always existed but it will be more pronounced moving forward. Heck, even Ohio St AD operated at a $2M loss. The academic world has never truly accepted the benefit or purpose of of college athletics. The benefit argument has become more blurred with the TV money being pumped into college FB and BB. It's the lure of easy $. However, the $$$ has never really materialized for most schools. On the surface it looks promising but the more each school invests, the question as to the benefit grows. Is having a FB program really the front porch for the alumni to give more? I'm sure there is a lot of debate on that subject. When their program is highly visible, college presidents are happy to use the FB program to market the school. When it's not winning, the risk and troubles surely outweigh the benefits.

So the questions become. Will we see a group of Power-5 schools split from the traditional conference alignment to form a "College-FB Association (CFA) League" where profits and TV revenue will be shared with players, players can sell their likeness, have an agent and if they want, can take advantage of getting an education? Will the rest of the college FB conference world evolve back to something closer to what exists at the lower divisions and in the past?

CFA League = Athletes in a farm league for NFL

Conferences = Student-Athletes (where the benefit is receiving a college education)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh NO! The Sky is Falling!***

Aug 11, 2020, 8:47 PM

what would Clemson get out of running a NFL D-league team?

Aug 11, 2020, 8:58 PM

I ask this seriously. If we want to move to a professional players model (no need to be students, no need for SAT or even high school graduation), and if players make money, rightly for their labor, and coaches make millions, how much will be left for Clemson University? And will it be enough to support other sports or we still have drop many? And if there is zero benefit, neither financial or a feeling we support our University and student-athletes, do we even want to bother?

I have loved my Tigers for over 50 years now, let us get one more natty before all is said and done perhaps.

One? Nah, 'the best is yet to come'. Get that 2nd hand ready***

Aug 11, 2020, 9:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,342
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic