Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Deshaun Watson says he could have started for Clemson basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

TNET: Deshaun Watson says he could have started for Clemson basketball

Jan 31, 2019, 10:14 AM

Deshaun Watson says he could have started for Clemson basketball

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson sat down for an interview with Dan Patrick this week and talked about his love of playing basketball. Watson said he c Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably could have - he's a real athlete................

Jan 31, 2019, 10:23 AM

and given the general skill level of our basketball program no reason to think he couldn't have played.

LOL, surely you are joking.***

Jan 31, 2019, 10:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: LOL, surely you are joking.***

Jan 31, 2019, 12:28 PM

Yes, don't really know if he could have played or not but, then again, would have been interesting to see.

Jan 31, 2019, 5:15 PM [ in reply to LOL, surely you are joking.*** ]

Not sure why this is seen as such a longshot. I remember Mike Eppley having a solid career as Clemson QB and point guard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2019, 5:47 PM [ in reply to LOL, surely you are joking.*** ]

Actually.,,.
My son was pretty good at basketball and played the AAU circuit for a few years. His high school team won state 5a. He got an athletic scholarship at Clemson for track. I’m telling you this to qualify my sons opinion of DW4 as a b-ball player. He played with DW4 many times off season. My son said DW4 was a really great player, in fact a good bit better than my son was. Like Tee does, DW4 played way above the rim. I’d side with DW 4 on this one unless you have first hand info.

You probably have better inside info than most on this board

Jan 31, 2019, 6:15 PM

i've seen some of DW's high school tape, and sure, he would have to work on some things but he definitely could have played at Clemson... especially 3 years ago

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m not doubting that he is a good basketball player.

Jan 31, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: LOL, surely you are joking.*** ]

But I don’t think most people here understand the high level of skill needed to play major college basketball. Simply being a great athlete, or even a good basketball player in high school, does not make one an obvious starter on the Clemson basketball team.

But I get it, people saying that a great football player who is also good at basketball could easily play basketball for Clemson furthers the dialogue about how crappy we are at basketball and how our great football players could’ve helped our basketball team by gracing it with their presence.

Just out of curiosity, when is the last time someone suggested that a Clemson basketball player could’ve been a starter on our football team, simply because he is a good athlete and played football in high school?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I’m not doubting that he is a good basketball player.

Feb 1, 2019, 7:29 AM

I don't know that he'd start, but Elijah sure looks like he could play football.

Rod Hall would not have supplanted Andre Ellington, Rod

Feb 1, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to I’m not doubting that he is a good basketball player. ]

McDowell or Wayne Gallman but if he practiced football with the team, he would have made the roster. Harold Jamison and Devin Gray definitely could have played TE for football teams during their college days...

Re: I’m not doubting that he is a good basketball player.

Feb 1, 2019, 9:33 PM [ in reply to I’m not doubting that he is a good basketball player. ]

Lol, Stan Rome.
BTW, I agree with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 9:29 PM [ in reply to LOL, surely you are joking.*** ]

In his heart of hearts he doesn't mean that concerning Duke. Not a chance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably could have - he's a real athlete................

Jan 31, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Probably could have - he's a real athlete................ ]

Thank goodness he chose football.

i doubt it

Jan 31, 2019, 10:26 AM

I think the football guys are underrating the fine skills needed for high level D1 basketball. Remember how Nuk Hopkins couldn't get off the bench when he tried to play on the team? And he was a basketball star in high school. It's not just a simple transition of athleticism

Re: i doubt it

Jan 31, 2019, 10:35 AM

No way to know. Ellington did it at So Car. DW may have been able as well.

But he would have not made it into the NBA!***

Jan 31, 2019, 10:39 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what makes you think that? only way you would know that is

Jan 31, 2019, 11:07 AM

if you watched him play in high school and saw glaring deficiencies. Which maybe you did but someone who is a great athlete and devotes himself wholly to any sport has a chance to do anything.

Re: what makes you think that? only way you would know that is

Jan 31, 2019, 4:20 PM

So did he make in the NBA? Yes or no? The rest is BS. My guess is no.

Didn't Bruce Ellington play basketball first

Jan 31, 2019, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: i doubt it ]

basketball only as a freshman, and then played both his sophomore year. Seems like he entered the NFL draft after his junior year

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he played both his freshman year

Jan 31, 2019, 6:18 PM

he went there knowing that he would play both sports because he loved basketball more, but football was his ticket...

no he didn't, he could only play basketball his first season

Jan 31, 2019, 6:37 PM

because he was on a basketball scholie...It keeps football coaches from stashing people on other sports scholarships...typically track

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he played 3 years of football, someone mentioned that he

Feb 1, 2019, 3:32 PM

only played 2 years of football but he did play 3 and I knew he didn't redshirt so good for you knowing all these facts... ;)

you are correct, he only played 2 years of football***

Jan 31, 2019, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Didn't Bruce Ellington play basketball first ]

Julius Peppers on Line 1***

Jan 31, 2019, 10:39 AM [ in reply to i doubt it ]

Peppers is 6'7

Jan 31, 2019, 10:58 AM

You have to be a lot more skilled at 6'1 (Watson) to make it.

Re: Peppers is 6'7

Jan 31, 2019, 3:55 PM

And don't forget around 280lbs which made him a monster inside. He wasn't that skilled but that big athletic body made him a factor.

Peppers scored less than 6 points per game at UNC

Jan 31, 2019, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Julius Peppers on Line 1*** ]

He was an incredible athlete, but not a particularly great basketball player.

Re: Julius Peppers on Line 1***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Julius Peppers on Line 1*** ]

Oh heck, put Julius through. I haven't seen him since we ran a "cat house" in Vegas.

Re: TNET: Deshaun Watson says he could have started for Clemson basketball

Jan 31, 2019, 10:36 AM

If DW had put the same work into basketball that he did football there is no doubt in my mind he could have been a starter at Clemson. His ability and his work ethic would get him there. He was built more for basketball than football when he got out of high school.

Even if he started at Clemson, he would have never been pro.

Jan 31, 2019, 10:41 AM

But he would have missed out on the millions he is making in the NFL.

Re: Even if he started at Clemson, he would have never been pro.

Jan 31, 2019, 4:29 PM

Exactly! He's making millions in the NFL, was a superstar in college football, won the football national championship, and oh goodness, he should have played basketball?? Huh?? Say what? What are some of these people smoking?

Nuk did play, however neither would have made the pros

Jan 31, 2019, 10:38 AM

as a basketball player.

Don’t know if he could have or not -

Jan 31, 2019, 11:13 AM

.... or not - tremendous athlete!! But - dood - what is this about Dook ?!? smh....

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Don’t know if he could have or not -

Jan 31, 2019, 11:27 AM

I have never seen him play basketball but I wouldn’t bet against him. He is the kind of person who could be successful at anything he puts his mind to.

Jan 31, 2019, 3:28 PM

^^ My thoughts exactly.

He said he would never loose to the Chickens. Check.

He said he would win a championship. Check.

He came back from an ACL tear. Check.

He came back from another ACL tear. Check.

The dude has some serious fortitude. Bet on him, not against him.

Jan 31, 2019, 5:49 PM

Holy crap. "Loose". Don't tell anyone I did that.

Your secret is safe with me ..,.

Jan 31, 2019, 7:26 PM

..... 8992!! ??

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 31, 2019, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Don’t know if he could have or not - ]

Why would you have to "bet against him?" Maybe ("maybe") he could have been a great soccer player. But second guessing him after a world-class career as a football player, skills that have now made him a sports icon and millionaire. And he should have played basketball?? Hello! Someone need to get back on their medication.

He could have been the Marion Cash we'd been waiting for***

Jan 31, 2019, 11:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He could have been the Marion Cash we'd been waiting for***

Jan 31, 2019, 4:43 PM

Who is Marion Cash? My god, DeShaun QB'd us to a national championship, and there are neaderthals on here complaining that he didn't play basketball instead. Frankly, if we dropped basketball tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me a bit. We will never be worth a #### in that "sport" and I don't care, never will care.

NObody on here has said that DW should have played

Jan 31, 2019, 5:30 PM

basketball... a lot are agreeing that he could have played basketball and played well. by the way, Marion Cash was the point guard on the only Clemson bball team to win the ACC regular season title and make the Sweet 16 until last years team. so, if you don't know who Marion Cash is, I'm sure that you have no clue as to who Mike Eppley is; a PG for Clemson bball and also a starting QB for Clemson FB in the early 80's...

playing both at a high level is not out of the question, as Charlie Ward (Heisman, O'Brien award winner) played PG for FSU and was a 2nd rd pick of the Knicks back in the '90's when the Knicks actually had some good teams. Charlie played pro bball and did not play pro FB despite most 'experts" projecting him to be a great fb player.

as dual sport players go, Tee Higgins would be an asset to the bball team right now, so, being a great fb player is not a hindrance to being great at bball also... there are people who can play multiple sports at the highest levels...

I don't gamble much, but I'd bet

Jan 31, 2019, 11:37 AM

Tee Higgins could start for our basketball team today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't gamble much, but I'd bet

Jan 31, 2019, 11:52 AM

As much as I love DW4 I'm going with Tee!

Don't be ridiculous.***

Jan 31, 2019, 3:12 PM [ in reply to I don't gamble much, but I'd bet ]

Re: I don't gamble much, but I'd bet

Jan 31, 2019, 4:45 PM [ in reply to I don't gamble much, but I'd bet ]

Pray god,he doesn't go out for basketball. What a futile, total folly!

Who's sitting? Mitchell or Reed? Cause he's not taking Simms

Feb 1, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I don't gamble much, but I'd bet ]

spot on the Wing

DW is probably referencing when he was a student

Feb 1, 2019, 2:58 PM

and not now, currently in 2018-19... so, in 2013 through 2015, Rod Hall is the PG, but DeShaun would be an off guard any way, so his competition would be Jordan Roper, Gabe DeVoe, Austin Ajuwka, Patrick Rooks, Adonis Filer, Devin Coleman, TJ Sapp, Demarcus Harrison, Carson Fields, Tye Hudson... which of those players are going to keep DeShaun off the court or the starting line up?
Reed and Mitchell were ineligible due their transfers in 2015-16 so, they wouldn't have kept DeShaun on the bench...

With that roster, wouldn't you agree that DeShaun working on his game like a bball player would have just as much a chance to play and start on those teams as the full time bball players? I'm not saying it's a given, but I've seen some of his high school film, and with his work ethic, he would have been in the regular rotation with any combination of those players...

No, th e guy I was replying to was talking about Tee

Feb 1, 2019, 9:49 PM

starting today

I would start Tee over Skara, move Simms to the 4 and

Feb 2, 2019, 12:09 AM

Thomas to the 5. Skara would be my 6th man to change the pace, give up a few hard fouls in the lane and focus on defense and rebounding. Tee would help pick up the offensive pace and transition offense... with Tee on the floor, they would have the green light to stress the defense by pushing the ball into the offensive end and into the lane to get the lay up, get the foul, or kick out for open jumpers

Charlie Ward comes to mind ... a clear, but rare example.

Jan 31, 2019, 11:38 AM

A guy who was actually All-American caliber at both in the modern era.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stop It!

Jan 31, 2019, 1:41 PM

Highlights please. I seriously doubt it. Most NFL players talk like that. The McCaffrey kid for the panthers said his game was similar to Westbrook's. They are all high on confidence.
DW4 owns the CFB Highway, but stay in your lane.

Re: Stop It!

Jan 31, 2019, 1:43 PM

And Tee Higgins would kill DW4 on the court but even he was not recruited by Duke and probably would not start for Clemson himself

Re: Stop It!

Jan 31, 2019, 4:48 PM

I thought Tee plays football for Clemson. What's all this loser BB sh##?

Jan 31, 2019, 3:43 PM

even DW4 taking pot shots at the BKB team now huh?

Jan 31, 2019, 3:52 PM

we gotta get some CROOTS Brad!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: even DW4 taking pot shots at the BKB team now huh?

Jan 31, 2019, 4:53 PM

Man, you don't have to have a lot on the ball to take "Pot shots" at our BB team. My concern is that all of this uproar over our basketball "team" will sow some kind of discord among our football team, the one that really matters. Drop basketball!

don't be ridiculous

Feb 1, 2019, 1:14 PM

Yea I was kinda joking. Our BKB talent is sub par ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 9:30 PM

After this season I think I could too.

Maybe, but Hunter Renfrow definitely

Feb 2, 2019, 12:41 AM

could have. Center if he wanted.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive