Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Spring winners: Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Spring winners: Defense

May 8, 2013, 11:55 AM

Spring winners: Defense

Spring practice was a chance for players to increase their stock with the coaches and compete for a chance at playing time in the fall. Who made the most of their spring on the defensive side of the ball? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was hoping to see a winner at corner...am I overlooking?***

May 8, 2013, 12:14 PM

1 of our starting CB's is still in High School***

May 8, 2013, 12:19 PM

what about Peters ?***

May 8, 2013, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Was hoping to see a winner at corner...am I overlooking?*** ]

null

He will probably be the other C.B.

May 8, 2013, 12:21 PM

By default, look for Jenkins to play the slot.

out

May 8, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to what about Peters ?*** ]

most of the spring at least. Was good to see Peters not out at the spring game though.

They'll be plenty of Peters to go around come this season...***

May 8, 2013, 7:09 PM [ in reply to what about Peters ?*** ]

Re: Was hoping to see a winner at corner...am I overlooking?***

May 8, 2013, 12:47 PM

MacKenzie Alexander is his name!!

And yes folks, he is THAT GOOD!

His game film shows me he is better than Fuller or Hargreaves and he will be special for us.

Call me crazy, but I see ALOT of Dion Sanders quality in that young man.

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: know what you mean

May 8, 2013, 1:00 PM

I'm no coach or scout or any of that, but M. Alexander does jump off the page. He does make one think of Deion. My first thought exactly. Hope we are both at least half right.

Re: know what you mean

May 8, 2013, 10:59 PM

I do not agree with the Dion comparison. Dion was a super cover guy with a lot of flair and confidence. Dion did not like a lot of contact. On the other hand, Alexander seems to be very physical and a great tackler. It is hard to determine his cover skills by the film that I saw, but with his rating, he must be pretty good. Last year, Sammy said That Alexander was better than any corner we had on the team. If he is as good as advertised, he and Breeland could be a dynamic pair.

So, Alexander and.....Peters?

May 8, 2013, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Was hoping to see a winner at corner...am I overlooking?*** ]

Breeland and Jenkins (as an aside, why can't I find Jenkin's name on the roster) or does Baker make a move in the Fall?

so is this the last year of eligibility for kellen jones?***

May 8, 2013, 1:03 PM

No, he's a sophomore

May 8, 2013, 1:07 PM

Freshman year at Ok, sat out and used R.S. last year, sophomore eligibility.

I don't remember any coaches ever raving about Lateek.***

May 8, 2013, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spellcheck error....

May 8, 2013, 4:59 PM

They weren't raving, they were RAGING for Lateek to GTFO.

Got To Be Steady.........

May 8, 2013, 1:29 PM

Breeland must be the anchor of that corner crew. He needs to be that leader. That will really solidify those edges if M. Alexander, Jadar Johnson, Darius Robinson, G. Peters, M. Jenkins or Dante Stewart starts on the other side or not. Man....we are deep in that defensive backfield. Just need to lock it down when the other guys get here.

Hopefully having The Incredible Hawaiian Hulk come in and see substantial amounts of playing time will also look good for us up front. Have Grady Jarrett and company wear the opposing offensive lines down and then Pagano can come in and clean house with authority.

Scott Pagano is going to RS

May 8, 2013, 1:32 PM

You only need about 5 DTs to have a good two deep and one swing man. We have that in Williams, Watson, Watkins, Reader and Jarett. No need to burn a RS on a guy that won't see a lot of time next year at least. Same deal with O'Daniel and Bolware.

Re: Scott Pagano is going to RS

May 8, 2013, 1:38 PM

Agree 100%. I think our interior defensive line has a chance to be every bit as dominant as it was when Jarvis Jenkins and Brandon Thompson were on the inside together.

Jarrett and Watson have an intensity that I don't think even Jenkins or Thompson showed when they were here.

If there's anybody I want talking smack and hooping and hollering after making a play in the backfield, it's the big boys on the inside.

Add Reader, Watkins and Williams to that mix, and you've got a nice mix of nastiness, talent and youth.

Reader could be the best of the bunch

May 8, 2013, 1:48 PM

But I think he'd have to give up BB and like Nuk focus solely on FB which according to The Judge might happen sooner than later.

Re: Reader could be the best of the bunch

May 10, 2013, 10:25 PM

Reader projects to an early first round NFL if he plays the same way his paper stats read for size, strength and speed/agility. Agree that concentrating on FB will max out the speed/strength and think he really could be a special player if he wants it

Judging from that Under Armor game.................

May 8, 2013, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Got To Be Steady......... ]

Pagano is going to have to lay off the poi and trim down a bit. He looked a little heavy and a little slow. He'll probably need a redshirt to work with the nutritionist and the conditioning coach. He has the frame to be a hulk and a force.

Re: Judging from that Under Armor game.................

May 8, 2013, 2:25 PM

He was double-teamed pretty much every play. I do agree he'll need to get a bit leaner, though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

First time in yrs, that I have been excited about Tigers's D

May 8, 2013, 2:08 PM

Can you imagine D being as good on their side of the ball as the offense? If that happens, the TIGERS GO ALL THE WAY TO PASADENA, where I want to be on that date!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EPIC ???

May 8, 2013, 4:35 PM

Has Clemson ever been to the state of California and played a football game? If not, it would be an epic moment to have us go out there and play on the biggest stage in college football.

Re: EPIC ???

May 8, 2013, 5:43 PM

we played the real USC in 1966. Got beat 35-0 as I remember. Lost to Alabama the week before 38-0. Harry O, all american guard told me at USC he only saw one defensive tackle the whole game. At Alabama he saw 5 and only difference was their jersey #.

Hate to throw a wrench in the works here,

May 8, 2013, 8:21 PM

but the D has a long way to go to play on the level of our O this year. The front four, I'll give them a big thumbs up in depth as well as talent.

The LBs? Who among that bunch has shown anything beyond high school? Shuey is above average, but Christian, Anthony and the others haven't shown doodly squat. Jones may be the real deal, but I haven't seen him play yet.

As far as the secondary goes, you can't tell me that Mr. Murray isn't licking his chops while looking at August 31st. They may gel later, but too many youngsters will be depended on in that first game. Freshman and sophomores against one of the best QBs in the land and one of the most experienced offenses in the land.

I have a lot of faith in Coach V, and the other defensive coaches, but I also have qualms about the back 7 players on defense. I hope that they prove me wrong!

^^^Reality Check^^^***

May 9, 2013, 12:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

We need the pass rush to show up against Murray. He's

May 9, 2013, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Hate to throw a wrench in the works here, ]

looked like a turd on more than one occasion when faced with heavy pressure throughout a game. His performance in Columbia last season was dreadful.

Re: We need the pass rush to show up against Murray. He's

May 9, 2013, 10:20 PM

You are right tigers and cubs. Murray is totally intimidated by Clowney. The offensive tackle for Georgia is overmatched by Clowney, and Murray responds poorly under pressure.

Re: We need the pass rush to show up against Murray. He's

May 11, 2013, 12:30 AM

So looks like we need Clowney. We don't have a Clowney. Mores the pity. Other than that, need all potential to be reached on August 31 for the D and some hopeful surprises. More than likely, we win if our offense dominates more than our defense allows. That is a true possibility

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic