Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You wanna know why Chad is a good OC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

You wanna know why Chad is a good OC?

Dec 16, 2013, 11:12 AM

He has shelved a lot of his scheme to adapt to what we have. He inherited Tajh, Nuk, and came in with Sammy. Tajh is not a read option QB, but this has been his team for 3 years.

If Chad would have said, "we're gonna do exactly what I want", then our offensive production would have been way down and those guys never would have put up the numbers they did.

Instead, he changed some things up to use the weapons he had.

Do you think Malzahn would run the ball as much as he had this year if he had Tajh, Nuk, or Sammy?

Go back and watch Malzahn when he was at Tulsa... they were almost perfectly balanced. Watch him when he was at Arkansas. It was very similar to what he does now, but he had McFadden and Felix Jones.

Watch Chad at Tulsa... they were almost perfectly balanced.

We have been as good as we have b/c Chad has put our guys in position to use their strengths.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I can't wait until he reveals the other 95% of his offense..

Dec 16, 2013, 11:13 AM

in the next 20-30 years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOLZ +1***

Dec 16, 2013, 11:19 AM

Re: You wanna know why Chad is a good OC?

Dec 16, 2013, 11:15 AM

I hope we can keep him long enough to see what he can do w the players he wanted to run the offense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we'll see a lot more zone read next year if Kelly is the guy

Dec 16, 2013, 11:16 AM

and I expect he will be

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

He's been here three- going on four- years.

Dec 16, 2013, 11:17 AM

Are you serious?

we're on the 8 year plan...

Dec 16, 2013, 11:18 AM

dsp had it right...we're trying to give SCar a false sense of security....and BAM!!!! Right where it hurts!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok... so here are your options....

Dec 16, 2013, 11:20 AM [ in reply to He's been here three- going on four- years. ]

are you saying he should have set Boyd for Kelly the last 2 years? That's not gonna happen.

Boyd is passer first who will run if he has too. He's big, but not a runner.

Are you saying he shouldn't have gotten the ball outside to Nuk, Sammy, or Bryant? When you have those weapons, you are not gonna run it 70% of the time. You have to get it out quick to them.

If he had done something different, I think we would have been much less productive offensively.

You make valid points, here is where I disagree-

Dec 16, 2013, 11:30 AM

1) I don't think CM has recruited well. He has lived off players like Tajh, Nuk, and AE- all from the previous regime. One player he recruited has been productive- Sammy. That's it.
2) CM does not develop talent. It's pretty apparent that the only players who get better are players who do it themselves ie Nuk.
3) OLine play is still as disappointing as ever.

The Chad could have Peyton Manning or Tom Brady at QB, and without good OLine play it doesn't matter.

I place the blame on the highest (over)paid assistant in college football.

Scans through our recruit list

Dec 16, 2013, 11:33 AM

sees a 5* QB....shakes head, logs off Tigernet. It's not even worth the fight anymore. The ignorance is too strong.

Hey moron, five star QBs mean nothing.

Dec 16, 2013, 11:37 AM

If you can't block for 'em, what's the point?

Sorry, I'm a moran, you're right

Dec 16, 2013, 11:39 AM

Of course, you're #1 on the list was that Morris can't recruit, and I attempted to point out that we have the #1 dual threat QB, in the nation signed up because of Morris, thus dispelling #1, but of you're right, I'm the moron.

One kid is not a trend bro...

Dec 16, 2013, 11:44 AM

Help me out, name all those stud OLinemen who are gonna block for DW? Cause I can name the ones who are gonna suck it up against UGa, FSU, Louisville, and Sukolina next season.

Kelly was a top guy, and I think will be great for his

Dec 16, 2013, 11:46 AM

system...

its not his job to recruit all positions and develop all positions....

that's what the other guys do

Stop being such a moron

Dec 16, 2013, 11:52 AM

I blame Giff's knee on Morris not coaching it up.

Re: Kelly was a top guy, and I think will be great for his

Dec 16, 2013, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Kelly was a top guy, and I think will be great for his ]

chad is the oc, he oversees all the offense players. it is his job, to get the best offensive players he can get, not just qbs.

Uhm, ok

Dec 16, 2013, 1:35 PM

Just this year:

Deshaun Watson - 5*
Demarre Kitt -4*
C.J. Fuller - 4*
Jea'lon Ogelsby - 4*
Cannon Smith - 4*
Milan Richard - 4*
Artavis Scott - 4*
Adam Choice -4*
Taylor Hearn -3*
Justin Falcinelli -3*

That looks pretty good to me, but I'm a moron.

OK, here is our starting line next season

Dec 16, 2013, 11:52 AM [ in reply to One kid is not a trend bro... ]

LT: Battle - JR - 4*
LG: Beasley - SR - 3*
C: Norton - JR - 3*
RG: Crowder - FR - 4*
RT: Anthony - JR -3*

Depth:
G- Davis - basically a starter, will rotate - 3*
T - Mac Lain - will work at RT - 4*
G/C - Guillermo - Could beat out Norton for spot, will play - 3*

It is a trend

Dec 16, 2013, 11:56 AM [ in reply to One kid is not a trend bro... ]

Chad Kelly, Demarre Kitt, Zac Brooks, Jordan Legget, Jae'lon Oglesby just to name a few others

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Waiting for your reply bro...***

Dec 16, 2013, 11:59 AM

You are flat out wrong about #1 (Recruiting)

Dec 16, 2013, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Hey moron, five star QBs mean nothing. ]

It's OK to admit it, don't feel like you have to attack people.

Bro....Broseph.....Brobino....Brotastic....***

Dec 16, 2013, 12:03 PM

I disagree on the developing talent point...

Dec 16, 2013, 11:42 AM [ in reply to You make valid points, here is where I disagree- ]

He's our QB coach, and that's it position wise...

he's put our WRs and RBs in position to make plays, but their development is on their position coach adn S&C...

Chad schemes, calls plays, and develops our QBs.

At $1.3 mil, he has to have more accountability than that...

Dec 16, 2013, 11:48 AM

The buck stops with CM and DS. If the position coaches aren't doing it, than they need replaced.

Tell 'em coot***

Dec 16, 2013, 12:10 PM

also.. I don't think he missed on recruiting some OL ..

Dec 16, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to You make valid points, here is where I disagree- ]

those guys are "hit or miss"... but once you get them here, position coaches have to develop them...

Its painfully obvious he was coaching in high school three years ago.

Dec 16, 2013, 11:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

only that he wasn't

Dec 16, 2013, 11:22 AM

He's been running offense on the D1 level, at a high level, for almost 5 years now...

That's quite a bit.

he should have left the fumble option back at high school

Dec 16, 2013, 11:24 AM

does not work in college.

just sayin'

Morris first D1 job was at Tulsa in 2010.***

Dec 16, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to only that he wasn't ]

Yeah but.......

Dec 16, 2013, 11:24 AM

If he sticks with the run when it's being given then we may have beat Scar in 2012 and we would've beaten em' this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

If Clemson loses...

Dec 16, 2013, 11:34 AM

Everyone's an expert, If they win everyone's on the bus.
Why can't you all realize that the coaches are coaches because they know what they are doing.
If you were a D1 coach you wouldn't be on TNet voicing this type of opinion, you'd be on the sideline somewhere.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Here is something crazy to consider

Dec 16, 2013, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Yeah but....... ]

Maybe, just maybe, we were able to run the ball because our passing game spread out the South Carolina front, opening up running lanes, and that simply pounding the ball would have had diminishing returns, because it's much easier to stop the run, when you know the run is coming...

Re: Yeah but.......

Dec 16, 2013, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Yeah but....... ]

Sorry, but you don't win games turning the ball over 6 times to a decent team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously personnel influences scheme.

Dec 16, 2013, 11:47 AM

Chad's offenses (run/pass):

2013: 35/65
2012: 37/63
2011: 36/64
2010: 43/57

Tulsa emphasized a ton more zone read - their QB was their leading rusher.

Wait, you mean you have to play the cards your dealt?

Dec 16, 2013, 11:53 AM

This isn't the NFL where you can pick up a player in free agency?

Re: Wait, you mean you have to play the cards your dealt?

Dec 16, 2013, 1:39 PM

yea, this is not the nfl, it is college where you go RECRUIT the players(the best you can get), which means if you don't get them and develop and keep them coming you will not be very GOOD. recruiting is about 60-70% of all programs. it is not like high school where you take the hand you are dealt. chad has been here over 3 years, and if you guys are saying he inherited boyd and he is not his style qb, why has Kelly not played ahead of boyd? every body has to accountable, even someone making 1.4 million. who other than Watson has chad been responsible for or recruited here?

Let me decipher this, hold up.......ok

Dec 16, 2013, 1:47 PM

Well, let me see, he inherited an excellent QB, and he adjusted his offense to fit Boyd's skill set. It's not the offense he normally runs, but he made adjustments. No way a freshman comes in and takes over for all-american, no matter how much swag, said freshman brings to the table. Also consider that you might have seen a little more Chad Kelly this year, but he blew his knee out in the spring game.

As far as recruiting goes, Chad Morris is responsible for recruiting QB's. So far he has signed 2

Kelly - 4*
Watson -5*

Morris helps in the recruiting of other players, but is not the lead recruiter.

Re: Let me decipher this, hold up.......ok

Dec 16, 2013, 2:02 PM

The whole star rating is bogus....You will never really know how good an 18 year old kid is going to perform until they do it on the field. There have been just as many 5* flops as hits. That can also be said about 2/3* recruits.

The thing that sperates good coaches from great is what do they do with that talent once they get them. I think the majority of college coaches would agree that you win/lose at the LOS. Look at Auburn this year, they pounding the ball down the throats of some very good defensive teams and that is not all because of their skill players. It starts up front.

Has Oregon not proven that the past couple of seasons when they run up against the likes of Stanford.

The spread is fun to watch but when it comes down to a physical team on both sides of the ball -- give me the physical team.

That is simply not true

Dec 16, 2013, 2:06 PM

Tell you what. I will take a team of 5* recruits, and you take a team of 2/3 star recruits, and we will play 10 times. I'm guessing I win 10 times, but heck you may sneak in one win if I get bored. Let's take my other favorite team, Purdue for example, they are terrible because they sign nothing but 2 and 3 star recruits. Clemson is significantly better because we sign mostly 4* recruits. Bigger, Stronger, and faster is usually better.

Re: That is simply not true

Dec 16, 2013, 2:08 PM

I see your point, but what good is all that talent if you cannot take them to the next level.

Would you say FSU or Clemson has better talent? Think it is pretty even imo....

They have a freshman QB....what did they win the game not because of talent...

They actually recruit better than Clemson

Dec 16, 2013, 2:12 PM

The are top 5 consistently, and we are usually 10-15

Therefore, they have more talent. Their secondary in particular has a bunch of talent we attempted to sign. Also, Winston was a RS Freshman who happened to be a 5* player.

Re: They actually recruit better than Clemson

Dec 16, 2013, 2:23 PM

Ok so in your opinion, what is it going to take for Clemson to get over that hump?

I not bashing here, just curious.

I only ask because look at Auburn, where were they ranked in recruiting the 2 years they made it to the nationally championship?

2009 class was ranked #25
2008 class was ranked #19 (btw clemson was #2 that year)

2012 class was ranked #17

I just am a firm believer that talent will only get you so far. I also get that luck plays into it too. Auburn is an example of that this year in 2 different games.

Auburn had an incredible talent at QB

Dec 16, 2013, 2:31 PM

2 5* players in Newton, the best Q.B. to play in the spread option system, and Dyer pushed that team over the top. I would say that Auburn is the aberration in mix. Otherwise the previous N.C. looks like this. If you want to win a N.C. you have to have the best players. As for Clemson, getting over the hump, it really depends what hump you are talking about. Winning a N.C. is going to take an incredible amount of luck and Deshaun Watson being a talent similar to Cam Newton. Other than that, not turning the ball over constantly would be helpful in beating F.S.U. and U.S.C.

Alabama
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama
Florida
LSU
Florida
Texas
USC
USC

Re: Auburn had an incredible talent at QB

Dec 16, 2013, 2:37 PM

Thank you for you replies, it is enjoyable to discuss without dealing with overly sensitive football fans.

My next question is then do you think that the current coaching staff can take you to beating the FSU, USC, and winning the NC?

I understand that at the end of the game it comes down to the players executing but some of that does fall on the coaches. I have seen the majority of clemson's big time games and my observation is that when push comes to shove the lack of mental game is where I see the issues are. I agree that your talent is on par as most of the top contenders but for some reason on the big stage, the majority of the time (yes, I saw the UGA and LSU game) the team cannot overcome the emotional highs and lows that come with a college football game.

Do you agree? If so then where does that fall in the realm of the players, coaching staff?

I am a huge Clemson fan

Dec 16, 2013, 2:56 PM

I would be surprised if we win a National Championship. We have too many things working against us in terms of conference and recruiting. However, I do think we can beat F.S.U. on a fairly regular basis. The same thing goes with USC. This year, F.S.U. outplayed us and USC out coached us (Spurrier is one of the best ever when motivated). I honestly think Boyd has caused us some issues in a few games against teams with good D-Lines. Boyd holds the ball way too long. He looks for the perfect pass, and is slow in his reads when his primary receiver isn't open initially. He has poor pocket awareness and tends to scramble into sacks. I will be interested to see what Stoudt, Kelly, and Watson have to bring to the table. Like I said, to win a N.C. Watson is going to need to equal Cam, and we are going to have to get lucky.

Dec 16, 2013, 11:53 AM

York tiger lets back up. I made a mistake. He has turned down 3 interviews not 2.

Re: You wanna know why Chad is not a Great OC?

Dec 16, 2013, 1:34 PM

He panics and doesn't trust his eyes.

I reward you with your trophy post

Dec 16, 2013, 1:36 PM

Once again the pure fabric of your presentation is worthy of said such trophy post and I am delighted I utilized a portion of my lunch hour to locate and read an article that is very similiar to my own consensus.

( Still cant shake that kindler and gentler TMail)

btw- somebody needs to get SteelTiger a female companion and fast! Dude is about to blow

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2013, 3:04 PM

you might some great points with which I agree ( I have been a critic of Morris for sure and your points have lessened that) The second portion is play calling. I'm not being smart or an a.....but why did he or DAbo ever call the Sammy pass in the first quarter of a game when we clearly having our way with the coot defense. I believe that the pass by Sammy set a very porr tone for a good part of the game. I'll look for your post.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic