Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Catanzaro says missed Auburn kick is motivation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Aug 25, 2011, 11:24 AM

Clemson kicker Chandler Catanzaro said the missed Auburn kick in overtime has made him stronger and more confident. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why must we be reminded!!!!????!!!

Aug 25, 2011, 11:29 AM

Just kidding...good luck to you catman. We will be counting on you.

I was there in person... this one really hurt.

Aug 25, 2011, 12:45 PM

Man- if he couldn've just made that second kick!

Go Tigers!

Re: I was there in person... this one really hurt.

Aug 25, 2011, 12:47 PM

Or if they just wouldn't have made that BS call...

Either or!

Or if they called the offsides on AU on 3rd & goal***

Aug 25, 2011, 3:18 PM

I put that one on skinner...

Aug 25, 2011, 2:27 PM [ in reply to I was there in person... this one really hurt. ]

catman made the kick he was supposed to

Re: Catanzaro says missed Auburn kick is motivation

Aug 25, 2011, 11:29 AM

Catanzaro is spelled with 9 letters
our '81 kicker's name (Igwebuike) is also spelled with 9 letters
coincidence? I think not

Aug 25, 2011, 12:01 PM

I couldn't pronounce Igwebuike correctly. I have trouble pronouncing Catanzaro correctly. Coincidence? I think not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 25, 2011, 5:56 PM

At least you can spell it, I can't and worked with his sister or aunt or something for a while.
I always just said Donald.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Aug 25, 2011, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Catanzaro says missed Auburn kick is motivation ]

1981: take the last two digits, (81) add them together, what do you get? 9 81 is also 9*9.

2011: Take the three non-zero digits (2 and 11). Subtract 2 from 11, what do you get? 9 Or subtract 11 from 20 and you still get 9.

This is getting weird.

Aug 25, 2011, 1:18 PM

In 1981 the field was green.....

In 2011.....the field is green...

I'm loosing my dang mind.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2011, 1:41 PM

In 1981 the football was oblong, and in 2011, the ### thing is still oblong. Coinsidence, H&ll no, its always been that way....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, I hope so

Aug 25, 2011, 11:30 AM

This is one of my big question marks for the season. If we get consistency hitting FGs could have a descent season. If not, we could be looking at a six win campaign.

I hope the other kicks he missed....

Aug 25, 2011, 11:40 AM

that cost Clemson at least two or three wins are motivation too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Admittedly, my lack of confidence in the kick...

Aug 25, 2011, 12:09 PM

had me yelling "GO FOR IT" on every fourth down. I don't think my heart can take another season of missed opportunities like that...really depressing.

Cat-man - You can do it. Make it happen.

Message was edited by: Beegshot® corrected typo

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Catanzaro's 2010 missed FGs didn't result in any losses.

Aug 25, 2011, 12:14 PM [ in reply to I hope the other kicks he missed.... ]

Catanzaro didn’t miss any game winning field goals in 2010. Look at Clemson’s 7 losses:
- Auburn (27-24): Catanzaro made one 42-yarder & missed one 32-yarder. Could have forced OT, not a win.
- Miami (30-21): No field goal attempts made.
- UNC (21-16): Catanzaro made one 48-yarder & missed one 42-yarder (which wouldn’t have caused a win).
- BC (16-10): Catanzaro made a 31-yarder and missed from 44 & 36. Could have forced OT, not a win.
- FSU (16-13): Catanzaro hit from 22 & 29, but missed from 38. Could have forced OT, not a win.
- SCar (29-7): No field goal attempts made.
- USF 31-26: Hit from 27 & 44, and missed from 26 (which wouldn’t have caused a win).

No place-kicker makes 100% of their field goal attempts, but even in the completely unrealistic scenario that Catanzaro had made 100%, it’s not clear that Clemson would have won any more games. And other than the Auburn game, it’s not even clear that making 100% of his field goal attempts would have even forced overtime, because in the 4th quarters, opponents like UNC, BC, & USF only needed to play conservative, clock-grinding, win-preserving football and FSU only needed to play for a FG to win. Those teams would have played a different style of football if the score had been tied. So I don’t think it makes sense for people to blame Catanzaro for Clemson’s loses or make the “one-kick-away” excuse—especially when Clemson ranked 87th in total offense in 2010 (and 74th in 2009).

Nonetheless, it’s pretty clear that Clemson’s field goal kicking has been pretty weak under Dabo. Catanzaro ranked 95th in FG percentage in 2010, and Jackson ranked 88th in 2009.

You can't hang the losses just on him, but you can

Aug 25, 2011, 2:04 PM

demand much better out of the kicker. Do we need one that can hit 55 yarders nearly as much as we need a guy who can hit most of the time if with in 40 yards.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Catanzaro's 2010 missed FGs didn't result in any losses.

Aug 25, 2011, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Catanzaro's 2010 missed FGs didn't result in any losses. ]

Epic Fail.

The whole outcome of the game, including field position and momentum changes on Made vs. Missed kicks is impacted. Made kicks result in kickoffs and better field position usually, with momentum.

To suggest that these games would not have been different and resulted in a few more wins with a few more Made kicks is not a fair statement.

I said it last year and I will say it again now.....

Aug 25, 2011, 2:48 PM

as poorly as he kicked last year, had I been coaching, I would have gone for it on 4th down everytime the offense had the ball inside the opponents 30 yard line. CatMan would only set foot on the field for warm-ups and extra points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Epic failure in reading comprehension.

Aug 25, 2011, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Catanzaro's 2010 missed FGs didn't result in any losses. ]

Terrierfan wrote:
To suggest that these games would not have been different and resulted in a few more wins with a few more Made kicks is not a fair statement.

I didn't make such a statement. Read first. Then comment.

Of course the outcomes of the games would have been different. Maybe Clemson would have won some more games in the COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC scenario where our field goal kicker makes 100% of his field goals. Maybe not. Maybe the made-FG, post kick-off field position and momentum would have led to Clemson wins. Maybe UNC, BC, & USF wouldn't have played conservative, clock-grinding, win-preserving football and maybe FSU wouldn't have played conservatively for a game-winning FG. Nobody will ever know. But it's not like Catanzaro missed any win-or-lose game-ending field goals. And there wasn't even one game in 2010 where if he'd have hit 100% that it would have generated enough points to produce a post-game theoretical win.

I'm just tired of people blaming Dabo's lousy season on Catanzaro when it's not certain that Clemson would have had even one more win even if Catman had hit 100%.

Aug 25, 2011, 11:51 AM

He kicked a 59 yarder in the FSU game? Was that supposed to be 49?

Aug 25, 2011, 12:03 PM

He missed some at FSU also I hope the kid does great but he wasn't very good last

Aug 25, 2011, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Catanzaro says missed Auburn kick is motivation ]

It is actually 29...thanks for catching that

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What happened to Ammon Lakip in FG & kick-off duties?

Aug 25, 2011, 12:19 PM

I haven't heard anything about true freshman Ammon Lakip. In high school was money, and hit some 50+ yarders. He also used to kick the ball out of the back of the end zone on kick-offs. At a minimum, I figured he'd handle kick-offs this season.

According to your poor sense of logic and reasoning...

Aug 25, 2011, 12:25 PM

He has to be either poorly coached or a statistical aberration.

Thanks for that logical, well-reasoned reply. Brilliant!***

Aug 25, 2011, 5:01 PM

Thanks, it is concise and 100% accurate. Again...

Aug 25, 2011, 5:42 PM

..sorry if the truth hurts.

Just double-checked it...

Aug 25, 2011, 5:46 PM

Saying you lack logic skills... check.

Saying you lack the ability to understand reason... check.

Saying you're ignorant for thinking every player that fails to meet their "stars" is either poorly coached or a statistical oddity... check.

Any other questions?

Juvenile reply? Check.***

Aug 25, 2011, 6:43 PM

If calling reality "juvenile" helps you sleep better,...

Aug 26, 2011, 12:20 PM

..then more power to ya.

that was High School

Aug 25, 2011, 12:38 PM [ in reply to What happened to Ammon Lakip in FG & kick-off duties? ]

Few successful HS kickers make a name in college, but not many. Just watch most HS special teams. They pretty much throw their hands up and HOPE they get a block. In College, they come at you - quickly. It's a completely different game for kickers. Completely different game. Add to the situation that kicking is one of the most MENTAL positions in the sport, and it all adds up to "re-learning" their craft. That takes a while...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Yep, but I would expect Lakip to KO through the end zone.

Aug 25, 2011, 4:26 PM

I'm not terribly surprised about the FG kicking, but I was pretty excited about Lakip handling kick-offs and putting them out of the back of the end zone. Seems like if you could do that in high school, you could do that in college.

Re: What happened to Ammon Lakip in FG & kick-off duties?

Aug 25, 2011, 1:12 PM [ in reply to What happened to Ammon Lakip in FG & kick-off duties? ]

Maybe you should pay more attention to practice reports and less to what color underwear Mickey Plyler has on and you might learn something. Lakip has had a good camp, but Cat-man is a little better at this point. He has made over 85% of his kicks, Lakip 77%.

What happened to civilized, adult discussion?

Aug 25, 2011, 4:28 PM

I ask a reasonable question and you come back with a rude, juvenile undewear comment? How old are you?

I read the practice report that said Catman hit a slightly higher percentage. I was hoping that somebody would provide some intelligent, adult, insider, insight, like Lakip is lacking on trajectory or timing.

I don't recall the practice reports mentioning anything about Lakip on kick-off duties, but that didn't stop you from making a rude comment about me paying more attention to the practice reports.

adult? this coming from a guy who waits every

Aug 25, 2011, 4:39 PM

day with baited breath for Plyler to post his blog so he can post some more drivel?

So commenting on blogs isn't adult, but you just commented.

Aug 25, 2011, 9:33 PM

Nice logic!

Reality check. I just checked the last 20 Plyler blogs. I posted on 9 of them-- twice to answer others' questions, and twice to say, "Good blog." How horrible of me.

Re: What happened to civilized, adult discussion?

Aug 25, 2011, 4:56 PM [ in reply to What happened to civilized, adult discussion? ]

whatever man. I mostly lay back and read comments, but I have to get in the action with you. You are nothing more than an agenda driven troll that finds EVERY opportunity to spin a situation into some kind of conspiracy within the athletic department or attack on Dabo's coaching.

Adults don't continuously nit pick every single action to death over and over and over.

You don't like Dabo's coaching, that is fine. I get that. So MOVE ON, Dabo is the coach, like it or not, and if you don't want to support him fine, but for God sakes quit acting like a little ##### with the complaining on every post about the football team.

So if I ask a question about Lakip, it's OK to get rude?

Aug 25, 2011, 6:17 PM

If you go back and look at my posting history, you'll see that a small percentage of my original posts are negative on Dabo or the administration. But if you're a a big fan of Dabo or the administration, it might seem like it's "continuous", "over and over".

Lots of people on T-Net continuously, over and over, post pro-Dabo comments. I don't insult them for repeatedly expressing their opinions, and neither do you. So apparently you're just intolerant of opinions which differ from yours, and you feel that those who express such opinions deserve juvenile rudeness.

If you disagree about any of my comments, I welcome logical, civil, adult counterpoints. If all you have to offer is juvenile insults (especially when I ask a simple question), then I'd appreciate it if you simply didn't read my comments or reply.

Glass houses....

Aug 25, 2011, 5:47 PM [ in reply to What happened to civilized, adult discussion? ]

and ignorance.

No way to go thru life, son.

Ironic.***

Aug 25, 2011, 6:46 PM

Not in the least bit.

Aug 26, 2011, 12:26 PM

What I am pointing out about you, i.e. that..

a) you throw stones yet judge others for doing so, and
b) you clearly exhibit ignorance and shallow-mindedness,

..these things are evidenced all throughout your post history. Simply calling my statement of facts "ironic" does not mean a hill of beans nor does it change the said facts.

i hope so, cause we will need him. Poor kicking cost us at

Aug 25, 2011, 12:59 PM

least 2 wins last yr. Still not calling him Cat Man

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which two wins did Catman cost?

Aug 25, 2011, 4:41 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=10880329

Catman missed key kicks in 4 different games

Aug 25, 2011, 4:45 PM

AU BC FSU and UNC. While they certainly hurt, we were such an inept offensive team I hate to put it all on him....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Are you serious? Really??

Aug 25, 2011, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Which two wins did Catman cost? ]

Did Catman miss any kicks at the last second that directly cost us some wins? No.

Did Catman miss A LOT of key kicks that could have enabled us to win several more games? Absolutely.

Please open your shallow mind a little. Okay? And again, I'm sorry if that truth hurts, but nearly every time you post you expose it.

Answer the question. Which two games would we have won?

Aug 25, 2011, 7:04 PM

Above GateCityTiger said that Catman "cost us at least 2 wins last year". Which 2-3 games would we have definitely won in the unrealistic scenario where Catman had hit 100% of his field goals?

Stanley: When you say, "sorry if the truth hurts", you should understand two things:
1) Your opinions are not "the truth".
2) Juvenile insults don't hurt me. They just make you look bad.

Yet again you're showing your tunnel vision...

Aug 26, 2011, 12:22 PM

We "could have" won any of the games where Cat missed key kicks.

My statements on this matter, and those on your shallow-minded approach to stars, is TRUTH.

Like I said, sorry of the truth hurts... But it ain't my fault.

You're showing your inability to follow a thread again.

Aug 27, 2011, 1:39 AM

GateCityTiger wrote: Poor kicking cost us at least 2 wins last yr.
Note that there is no "could have" in this statement.

Razz replied: Which two wins did Catman cost?

Stanley replied: "Are you serious? Really??... Open your shallow mind a little..."

Razz repeated: "Which two games would we have won?"

Stanley squirms away and backs off to "We could have won".

Great! So apparently you agree with me that contrary to GateCityTiger's assertion, 2 wins would not have been assured if Catman made 100%. It's too bad that your reading comprehension is so poor that you don't understand the difference between:
"Poor kicking cost us at least 2 wins last yr," and
"We could have won any of the games where Cat missed key kicks."

This is the same thing that you've done on the other threads where you argue with me. Your reading comprehension skills are so poor that you misinterpret what others write. And you don't exhibit the mental capacity to keep track of what's said in a thread (let alone keep track of multiple different threads). But that doesn't stop you from "arguing" against stuff that I didn't say, and "arguing" irrelevant points, while hurling childish insults. I've neve seen anything like it.

It's absolutely bizarre that you actually agree with me here but you're so obsessed with arguing that you squirm and twist and spin to come up with some irrelevant "argument". And it's ironic that you hurl childish insults, even though you don't have the capacity to comprehend English or keep track of what's said in a thread.

I didn't even bother to read your last comments on this article or on the last few because I assumed they'd just be more illogical juvenile retorts. Once you got to the point where you you called a 4-year starter freshman all-American, a 4th round NFL draft pick, et al, as guys who didn't pan out as 4-star recruits, I knew that you're either completely dishonest or you don't know much about football. Either way, you're a waste of my time since you're not capapble of having an intelligent, adult discussion. So I won't bother to come back and read your juvenile response to this, which I'm sure you'll make.

Conversely, you're showing your shallow-minded thinking

Aug 29, 2011, 12:43 PM

again... and using entirely too many words to prove it.

You insinuated our kicker's missed kicks did not cost us any games. You don't know that, not at all, so you can't make that statement.

Did you even read my reply, or are you just THAT shallow-minded?

I said, "Did Catman miss any kicks at the last second that directly cost us some wins? No. Did Catman miss A LOT of key kicks that could have enabled us to win several more games? Absolutely."

The absoluteness of those statements remain. I didn't squirm or twist anything, nor have I lacked any comprehension. It is hilarious though how much you resemble your own remarks.

And you're still wrong to say that our WRs must be poorly coached or statistical aberrations. Weird that you still can't see it and/or admit it.

Yup, shallow-minded and ignorant indeed.

If a kick from 11 months ago, is still on his mind...

Aug 25, 2011, 12:59 PM

we may be in trouble. Kickers need a short memory.

he's probably a good kid, but I would just say prove it on

Aug 25, 2011, 1:01 PM

the field instead of talking about it

Re: he's probably a good kid, but I would just say prove it on

Aug 25, 2011, 1:22 PM

Wow, how conventional and profound a statement!

He's talking about it because he was asked about it.

The season hasn't started so all there is to do it talk about things.
I for one am happy to see the efforts made to improve the kicking game. The results will ultimately show how successful these efforts were, but for now, the facts surrounding the attempts to improve suggest we should be better. Will have to see beginning in 9 days.

he's not required to talk to the media a##hat***

Aug 25, 2011, 1:28 PM

He is a kicker, and the season hasn't started, and he is

Aug 25, 2011, 1:22 PM [ in reply to he's probably a good kid, but I would just say prove it on ]

being interviewed. Why should he not mention last season?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GOOD LUCK CAT-MAN & the Snapper too !!!!!! GO TIGERS !!!

Aug 25, 2011, 1:56 PM

why doesn't anyone ever know the Snapper's name?

Shout out to Phillip Fajgenbaum !!!!!!!!

null

well im glad you got motivation at our emotional expense :)***

Aug 25, 2011, 3:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic