Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
we won because of player development
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,334

we won because of player development

Oct 19, 2014, 3:09 PM

There's an old saying: "too much depth is almost enough". It's never been more true than now for the Tigers. People have really not credited idea how beat-up and short-handed this Tiger offense is right now. But it's fascinating how many fringe guys, walk-ons, and veterans who could have moved on (and would have been run off at other programs) have stepped up and carried this unit.

It's easy to recruit 4-and-5-star guys and just plug in ready-made answers. It's another thing to recognize and develop walk-on talent, or show sufficient patience with veterans when a lot of programs just run them off and replace them with new-and-shiny oversigns, which is the M.O. of virtually every SEC program.

Dabo doesn't do that. And we're still winning because these friks and fraks and projects and no-name guys are carrying an offense that should be completely dead right now. No, it's not a sexy offense at all right now, and without our killer defense, we wouldn't even be having this conversation...but this season should have been a disaster akin to the one UGA had last year. But it isn't.

We are short. How short?

QUARTERBACK:
We're two QB's short right now. Watson, obviously, is hurt, and 4-star Chad Kelly was dismissed from the team this Spring after venting all over Ali Green and a hapless pack of Capri-Sun. And Cole Stoudt has a messed-up left shoulder. He still didn't look tremendous Saturday, and the Tigers had to punt 10 times, but he looked a world more effective than he has been and might - might - be getting his mojo back after getting shelled against UGA and FSU. He completed passes other than tunnel screens to the WR, fired down the field, made much better decisions managing the clock, even made a couple plays with his feet. It was an encouraging sign from a QB who looked, to put it politely, DOA a week ago. More encouraging was that Stoudt hit enough throws downfield to chase BC's imposing defense back out of the box, which gave Clemson's offense some room to operate underneath. Morris has gotten a lot of flak this year - justifiably, IMHO - for some of his play-calling and inability to grab an inch at key moments, but he came out with a very good gameplan for Stoudt yesterday and did not give up on the guy, and was rewarded with an encouraging performance.

RUNNING BACK:
We're three four-star RB's short right now. Tyshon Dye, Zac Brooks, and Adam Choice were all highly-recruited 4-star blue chips coming out of high school, and now they're all hurt. Clemson still won because Dabo took the time to recognize and develop the talents of local walk-on Daniel HS product CJ Davidson, who rewarded Clemson with a 32-yard TD scamper at a time when Clemson absolutely, positively had to have a big play. We also got some quality PT from 5th-year senior DJ Howard, who Dabo never ran off despite the apparent embarassment of riches we were carrying at RB prior to the season. How wise does that seem now?

WIDE RECEIVER:
Does anyone realize we've lost 4 4-star-rated WR's who should still be on the field for Clemson? We lost true juniors Sammy Watkins and Martavis Bryant early to the NFL draft, and Charone Peake - the most highly-recruited of all of that trio coming out of high school - has been sidelined with knee injuries all related to that torn ACL he suffered last year. Kyrin Preister was also dismissed from the team. In their stead we've got two true sophomores and two true freshmen, all highly-recruited - but some of the biggest plays yesterday were made by 5th-year senior and former walk-on Adam Humphries, who snagged a number of key third-down grabs and is by a mile one of the best WR's at blocking down the field. His bulldog blocking is contagious, too - on one grab from Germone Hopper, I saw true freshman Artavis Scott - who is a budding star - lock onto a DB and drive him about ten yards up the field, springing Hopper for a first down. As young as this WR corps is, I honestly wonder where we'd be without Humphries this year.

TIGHT END:
And now our prototype future NFL superstar, Jordan Leggett, is down. Leggett, at times, shows you why everybody in the Clemson camp considers him the next Dwayne Allen, and he was taking over the BC game until he got hurt. Fortunately, when he went down, Clemson had a 5th-year senior in Sam Cooper able to step in and provide the blocking Clemson had to have against a BC front that was determined to stomp a less-than-mobile Cole Stoudt into the turf, and McCullough and Seckinger are pass-catching TE's. We needed a blocker and a tough guy, and Cooper gave us that yesterday. Without Cooper returning from myriad injuries, where is Clemson today? Probably with another "L" on the ledger sheet.

OFFENSIVE LINE:
Clemson's four guys short. Guillermo is hurt, Joe Gore is recovering from surgery and is limited, Oliver Jones is out for the season, and OT Shaq Anthony was dismissed. We won because Kyle Norton has been gutting it out this season, playing hurt, and because OG/OT Reid Webster returned for a fifth year and has really bailed out an OL that's very short on numbers and quality this year. (You can cast a baleful look in Robbie Caldwell's direction at how thin the OL is right now, but that's a different discussion.)

Recruiting matters, but ultimately Clemson is still winning right now - winning ugly, granted, but still winning - because Dabo took the time to notice and develop walk-ons, and never ran off veterans who had fallen down the depth chart. Which is a fascinating object lesson, and it's meant that as the blue-chips have dropped like flies, the blue-collar practice grinders have stepped up and carried the team.

Tip of the hat to Dabo, folks...and respect for the blue-collar depth guys, who have continued to get it done.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Humpries wasn't a walk on***

Oct 19, 2014, 3:13 PM

Re: Humpries wasn't a walk on***

Oct 19, 2014, 3:19 PM

So Morris' offense is a fraud without Nfl talent like Cj nuk Sammy Tajh etc.

What offense wouldn't break records with that talent. Problem is Oregon and other teams have done more with less talent and less nfl players

Morris fell into a good situation and now nobody is talking about him as a HC.....missed his opportunity

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oregon has done more with less? LOL this board is really

Oct 19, 2014, 3:20 PM

getting unreadable.

I was just pointed out the Humphries wasn't a Walk On

Oct 19, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Humpries wasn't a walk on*** ]

Which is true. No reason to freak out.

Oregon is NFL Phil Knight training ground. No NFL talent?

Oct 19, 2014, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Humpries wasn't a walk on*** ]

Been watching football lately?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Oct 19, 2014, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Humpries wasn't a walk on*** ]

I wouldn't say Morris offense is a fraud. But he did come to Clemson at the perfect time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 19, 2014, 4:12 PM

Morris has been figured out by who ? If it has been figured out , maybe they are waiting for the perfect time to beat us ???
Are we a 4 or 5 loss team right now ?
Injuries , lack of leadership and newer , younger guys are causing some hiccups ...but quit with the " Morris stinks" and "our offense doesn't work anymore" garbage. 5-2 and 4-1 in the ACC and playing Syracuse next weekend...in a NIGHT game !
ALL IN men !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Tell 'em coot

Oct 19, 2014, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Humpries wasn't a walk on*** ]

smh

wow, i draw the opposite conclusion

Oct 19, 2014, 3:18 PM

I think if anything based on the overall talent gap you would argue BC has developed what they have to work with better.

Our talent is light years ahead of BC.

Re: wow, i draw the opposite conclusion

Oct 19, 2014, 3:22 PM

The talent we had available to play was not.

Since the close of last season, we've lost close to 20 offensive players - almost all of them high-end blue-chips and heavy contributors - to the NFL, injury, or attrition. Programs go through that on occasion.

It should have killed us. It didn't...or it hasn't yet, I should say. We lose too many more and we'll be literally playing waterboys.

I think you missed the point. It's not just about doing more

Oct 19, 2014, 3:27 PM [ in reply to wow, i draw the opposite conclusion ]

with less. That could be more of a coordinators thing anyway.

The main point of this post was that Dabo's philosophy/talent for recognizing the need to develop game-ready depth all over the field is helping us sustain success this year despite the attrition.

Talent that isn't ready to play in a real game is worthless. BC may have less heavily recruited guys but they are good at football, especially in the trenches.

For example, BC had a solid O-line. But our Dline doesn't rely on elite talent. We have like a dozen dudes who are game ready on the defensive line which is the reason our elite talent continues to shine. You can't take away our strength at that position because our depth is our strength.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This was a really good post. Great point.

Oct 19, 2014, 3:19 PM

I still think Morris is not earning his keep, but Dabo has most certainly built a solid program.

Morris is the only reason DABO HAS A #### JOB STILL

Oct 19, 2014, 3:21 PM

We went 6-7 the year before Morris got here. DABO WAS ON THE #### HOT SEAT!

This is just unbelievable.

You are oversimplifying it. And getting too excited.

Oct 19, 2014, 3:33 PM

Morris's system was fresh and caught people off guard. Add a QB who was an insanely good running improviser, in Tajh.

Just like Paul Johnson's brand of option when he won the ACC.

However, defenses acclimated themselves and now we can't just rely on the system he brought to carry us past teams... we need good adjustments and game-day coaching/playcalling. As a result of Morris spotty and sometimes dumb playcalling we often hit a ceiling against well-coached/talented teams.

Morris shouldn't get over amillion a year because he saved Dabo's job in 2012. He should only get a million a year if he's one of the top 5 OC's in the nation. He's not now.

"However, defenses acclimated themselves

Oct 19, 2014, 6:57 PM

and now we can't just rely on the system he brought to carry us past teams... we need good adjustments and game-day coaching/playcalling. As a result of Morris spotty and sometimes dumb playcalling we often hit a ceiling against well-coached/talented teams."

Agree 100%. Spurrier is a prime example.

Also, I don't see us adjusting quickly. We didn't open up the run game at BC until we started passing into their secondary. This forced the free safety and linebackers to stay home, which allowed us to run. For the life of me, knowing how good they were against the run, I don't know why Morris didn't have that in the game plan from the get-go. I am not inside his head, but it seems he is stuck on his game plan, regardless.

Re: we won because of player development

Oct 19, 2014, 3:29 PM

Very well thought out and written post. I agree whole heartedly!

Re: we won because of player development

Oct 19, 2014, 3:31 PM

Well said.

does player development include

Oct 19, 2014, 3:35 PM

coaching up the QBs for 4 years to not have what whadafuq moments in big games?

no where near a bash, just discussion

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: does player development include

Oct 19, 2014, 3:51 PM

> coaching up the QBs for 4 years to not have what
> whadafuq moments in big games?
>
> no where near a bash, just discussion

I think Stoudt got shelled. We started on the road against UGA and FSU, two places where it's easy to drown, and he got thrown into that meatgrinder with zero starts. It's easy for a QB to drown in those crimstances - especially when you've got a prodigy like Deshaun Watson breathing down your neck - and he did.

Is he better than he looked to start the season? Yeah. I don't think he's a future NFL guy or anything like that, I just think his confidence was completely blown up after the second half against UGA.

Stoudt also really has faced a murderer's row of defenses. In Athens, against Pruitt's blitz-happy D? In Tallahassee? Louisville, the #1-rated defense in the country? And now BC, the #8-rated D in the country? Not a lot of room to grow confidence, against that slate, which is as bad as any Clemson QB has faced, like, ever.

No, he did not look good. But in retrospect that slate also looks like what you'd schedule on Dynasty Mode in NCAA College Football. Our schedule was insanely front-loaded this year. So it's pleasing to see that Stoudt's still got a pulse and may be getting his confidence back...and we can safely say, the worst is over, as far as opposing defenses go.

POINT! *******

Oct 19, 2014, 3:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pretty good but...

Oct 19, 2014, 8:21 PM

let's not blame a bad left shoulder on a lot of weak throws and poor decisions that should've been picks. That's a stretch.

Well-thought and stated. Enjoyed reading this. +1***

Oct 19, 2014, 8:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a great post

Oct 20, 2014, 12:20 AM

very well said, I enjoyed reading that. I'd give 2 points if I could!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,334
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic