Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious discussion re: the play of our secondary Monday night . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Serious discussion re: the play of our secondary Monday night . . .

Jan 10, 2019, 11:35 AM

First of all, a couple of missed plays but all in all just a brilliant effort. Tremendous athleticism, smart play, and good coaching. Two ints on the big stage vs the previously crowned 2019 heisman trophy winner. That being said. It did seem like some deception, good gameplanning, and playcalling.

My question why was that there Monday night and sometimes doesn’t seem to be there. Is it because we don’t have to use that deception to win vs common opponents so we saved it for when we needed it? Surely not. And maybe I’m wrong but it just seemed like the best playcalling of the year. What are your thoughts? The point is they played brilliantly and we have some studs back there but would like to see that kind of play more consistently.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was really happy for Mark Fields

Jan 10, 2019, 11:37 AM

coming in and playing hard, making plays in his last game. Happy to see him go out with a good performance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed he played very well, couldn’t be happier with how he played.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:45 AM

Does make you wonder . . . But none of my bidness.

I think the secondary concerns were grossly exagerrated***

Jan 10, 2019, 11:49 AM

We got lucky that there were never any injuries

Jan 10, 2019, 11:51 AM

we only had 4 safeties all year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious discussion re: the play of our secondary Monday night . . .

Jan 10, 2019, 11:52 AM

I thought the "playcalling" call of the game on defense was playing a 1 high safety look a lot after the first long TD pass.

Putting Johnson, Turner, or Wallace (I believe they alternated the duty) back to play over the top allowed everyone else in the secondary to play tighter to make Tua hold the ball and take more gambles to jump routes and break up passes. It let everyone play without the fear of not having help and giving up "the big one".

We didn't use this exclusively the rest of the game, but I felt like we used it a lot until we got up a couple of scores and could afford a mistake or two.

Had we done this to A&M or scar, it would have likely changed those games as well.

As usual, an error on defense early in the season results in a masterful plan when the games count.

Best play calling of the year on both sides of the ball.

Jan 10, 2019, 11:55 AM

Yes I believe it was planned that way and yes I believe we didn’t do some things against other opponents that were saved for the Bama game. It completely caught Saban and his staff off guard. It was absolutely brilliant. I never joined in on the complaining about the play calling all season long and the reason why is that we were blowing teams out. Great decisions made by our staff all year.

we play pretty vanilla all year, we switched up coverages

Jan 10, 2019, 12:59 PM

more against Bama. Mixed in zone well and aligned ourselves pre snap like we were in man. Something you would see a pro defense do.

We had laser focus, everyone was bought in 100% to the game plan. We kinda plow through the ACC schedule based on talent alone. We obviously don't have as great of focus throughout the year as we do in the CFP. We are kinda like a pro team, we really elevate the level of play when we get to the playoffs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic