Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 3,722

we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites

Dec 10, 2018, 2:16 PM

but if you look at averages we have about 11 school bringing in more 4 and 5 stars. Fsu is doing a pretty darn good job considering there is a dumpster fire. Bama has only 1 three star out of 24 commits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites

Dec 10, 2018, 2:37 PM

We've still got a long way to go match Bama in recruiting. We have the number 1 ranked facilities in the country. what's it going to take?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Relax in Dabo we trust***

Dec 10, 2018, 2:39 PM

Indeed.. a few more years and Clemson should be in the CFP***

Dec 10, 2018, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Probably should be focused on

Dec 10, 2018, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

Virginia

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably should be focused on

Dec 10, 2018, 4:13 PM

o linemen (plural)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

I'd rather not match Bama in the bag man game. Top 5 and clean is the way to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 10, 2018, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

I must have missed the facility national title, when did we win that?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 4:24 PM

Tb1 -

Maybe this will get you there:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-facilities-2019-Alabama-Oregon-Clemson-Oklahoma-Texas-126107528/#126107528_3

Dec 10, 2018, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

If star ratings were THE determining factor, Clemson would have never made a playoff yet. Either the star ratings are wrong or Dabo’s staff is out Coaching everyone or both. Regardless I’ll take the results Dabo has produced. The Georgia’s and Ohio St’s of the world can have their recruiting Championships.
BTW, what does a recruiting Championship trophy look like?

Rankings and * %’s are a little skewed

Dec 10, 2018, 2:48 PM

Because of the uneven number of commits at the different schools. We took our “developmental” guys early and are getting ready to pick up a few 4* guys that will get us over the 50% BCR mark that is so critical.

And Bama is on track to have the best recruiting class in history, so trying to compare to that isn’t really attainable. There’s a lot of talent and a lot of depth in this class.

Right now the main worry is OL, both talent and numbers. Rayburn will be a good player but we need 3-4 bodies in this class at least to maintain depth in 2020. We appear to be in good shape with Putnam which is a big piece (literally), so hopefully we can snag 2 more guys that need a little developing.

You mentioned FSU as an example of a strong recruiting class. I don’t think you’d want to trade places with them. Their best commit (and only 5 star) is looking elsewhere and already confirmed not signing early, their QB who is supposed to be the leader of the class also looking elsewhere, they desperately need OL help and only have 1 commit and if they miss on Putnam will likely strike out with their major targets and have to go JUCO route. Plus they only have 15 commits compared to our 24 so the volume isn’t there either.

Re: Rankings and * %’s are a little skewed

Dec 10, 2018, 2:54 PM

I may be in the minority but I hope FSU completely strikes out on all questionable targets. Some people want to see them up so the conference looks stronger. I am not in that group. Other ACC teams can improve to bring up the conference average but put me in the category that hopes the giant that is FSU goes to sleep.

I’m with you

Dec 10, 2018, 2:58 PM

I hope the Taggart hire is a disaster (like it’s currently trending toward) and they take several steps back. Plenty of other teams that can step up and take their place.

We graduate 2 and we have a lot of young guys, we don't

Dec 10, 2018, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Rankings and * %’s are a little skewed ]

need 3-4 this year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s not how OL recruiting works

Dec 10, 2018, 3:18 PM

You take OL to have them ready 2 years down the road. Almost all incoming freshmen OL need a minimum of 1 year to develop to be able to contribute at the top tier level. If you’re not signing the stud OL (like Carman) who are few and far between, you need to sign numbers to ensure your depth continues.

So this class is addressing needs for 2020 and beyond where we will be thin on the OL because of the lack of numbers taken at the position in previous classes. They’re not like WR’s where you can just plug them in and play as true freshmen.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Rankings and * %’s are a little skewed ]

Why isn't it "attainable" that we compete with Alabama in recruiting? Our facilities rank number one in the country. Anyone notice the recent survey? How do we fix this?

My post said

Dec 10, 2018, 3:38 PM

This particular class which is trending to be the highest ranked class ever signed. That is not going to be us. If we had the numbers last year, I think we might’ve been able to have a top 3 class, but Dabo plays the game the right way instead of “processing” guys out.

Next year’s class should be a historical one assuming the pieces as currently assembled fall our way with some of the big names we have on the line and yes I know I’m mixing metaphors.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Rankings and * %’s are a little skewed ]

Is Crouch expected to sign in December?

Dec 10, 2018, 3:20 PM

I have heard that he will announce at his all star game in January and will enroll immediately to that school.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:01 PM

Who cares? We lost out on Webb. We're doomed now.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:02 PM

Don't forget that there were guys were tried to sign last year and failed also.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:06 PM

Exactly. If we miss out on anyone next year that's when we know there are issues and we need to shake up the program.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:08 PM

Why wait????

Slash and burn works in the farming world. Let's apply it to our coaching staff and recruiting approach.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:25 PM

Good point.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

I really haven't seen anyone on here advocating a "slash and burn" policy regarding our team, but is it wrong to seek improvement? I'm amazed that some would say that there are those fans who are never "satisfied." Get "satisfied" with any aspect and you are headed for a downfall. Does rendering opinions on certain aspects of the team's performance really mean that one has become a traitor to the cause. Come on guys, let's lighten up a bit. Anyone still maintain that our D played well against Carolina? Even after watching the comments of our Defensive Coordinator, who had the brutal honesty to tell it like it was: "Embarrassing, disgusting." What, should we fire him for "disloyalty?" What if we hadn't had an offense led by an all-world QB and RB to bail us out of that s### storm? Our only playoff would be in Tijuana, Mexico against the Children of the Saints 8th grade soccer team. A toss-up at best.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:37 PM

Dec 10, 2018, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Re: we are ranked top 5 in most of recruiting sites ]

Ok, I give up. Who is Webb??

Dec 10, 2018, 3:28 PM

The savior who would have saved our program. Sadly, we missed out on Webb and now we are just your run of the mill playoff team/perennial national title contender. We could have been something special.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:41 PM

Ok, you've got me. I give up! Who is Webb?? Is he spiderman? A secret agent? The Amazing Hulk? Give us a clue, because according to you he must be the next coming.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:46 PM

He is an offensive lineman like no other that has ever walked this Earth.

We averaged top 11 over the last 4 years

Dec 10, 2018, 3:03 PM

are rankings will now be higher, not because we are recruiting better, but because we are Clemson so our recruits will get higher rankings just because of that

Re: We averaged top 11 over the last 4 years

Dec 10, 2018, 3:09 PM

Makes sense to me. I've got to admit, Saban is a great coach.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:12 PM

Did you forget which message you were replying to or did you really just slip "Saban is a great coach" into a comment about Clemson's recruiting rankings raising because of success on the field?

Dec 10, 2018, 3:44 PM

No. I just happen to think that Nick Saban is one of the greatest college coaches of all time, and should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Not asking that you agree with me.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: We averaged top 11 over the last 4 years ]

This has been a little bit of a down recruiting cycle.

Dec 10, 2018, 3:39 PM

Unlike the last two years, the staff had to go quantity this year to fill close to 30 scholarship openings and weren't able to be ultra-selective. They also didn't seem to be in on as many really high end guys and they had to go all over the country to get a few of the ones they did get. There was almost no Clemson-worthy talent in SC this year outside of Pickens.

And despite all of that, this is still likely a top 10 class (or at least very close) when all is said and done. Clemson still isn't Alabama or Ohio State when it comes to recruiting, but when a down cycle still results in a top 10ish class, that's pretty dang good. And we know the staff's track record when it comes to developing players.

I’m excited about this class

Dec 10, 2018, 3:50 PM

Because we got to take some of the developmental guys that we haven’t been taking recently because of numbers. Guys like Greg Williams, Ruke, Zanders, and Thornton aren’t guys we would have taken the last couple years because we didn’t have the space but I think being able to give them a couple years to develop could turn them into special players.

You’re right it is a down recruiting cycle in terms of guys we were in on and SC and GA specifically. The staff still went out and got studs (with a couple more to come) which is a testament to how good of a job they are doing.

Need to snag a couple more upside OL to fill out the class with Putnam, Davis, and Crouch and it will be very strong.

Re: This has been a little bit of a down recruiting cycle.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:01 PM [ in reply to This has been a little bit of a down recruiting cycle. ]

And I totally agree that we do a great job at player development. And I think that our new facilities will take a couple of years to catch on with recruits. Dabo and company (especially Brent) have done an incredible job, and I hope that we can keep them here. We will recruit extremely well. and then Batson will turn them into monsters. Right now, I think that we are legitimately in the top three, and getting past a tough Notre Dame team will only advance that. I agree that the best is yet to come. Trevor Lawrence will win the Heisman.

Re: This has been a little bit of a down recruiting cycle.

Dec 10, 2018, 4:02 PM

And maybe, Etienne.

Wish we had a “Big Dex” type DT committed***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:13 PM

Re: Wish we had a “Big Dex” type DT committed***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:22 PM

Tyquan Johnson is of that mold in terms of body but needs to refine his technique. Although that “Big Dex Type” is pretty hard to come by. 340 pound balls of muscle that are that quick don’t grow on trees.

thanks. Going to miss Dex and Christian***

Dec 10, 2018, 4:37 PM

Replies: 41
| visibility 3,722
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic