Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do we want increased testing so badly?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 437

Why do we want increased testing so badly?

Mar 24, 2020, 10:06 PM

Is it more for the numbers game? I think if people see increased cases, then they'll be more serious about social distancing.

Also, if more people are tested, the mortality rate also will (likely) look better as 50% or so will have basically no symptoms.

Outside of statistics, why is testing important?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do we want increased testing so badly?

Mar 24, 2020, 10:11 PM

I'd think one reason is data of density. Knowing where it exists, will tell us where to avoid.

It can provide vectors and magnitude for speed/acceleration of transmission, and things like that.

If we could test every individual, get data on everywhere they've traveled, what they ate, what they bought, where that came from, what (if any) vaccines can do to combat in each person, etc... they'd do it.

The more data, the better. The more we know, the better we're battle against it, or anything like it.

Like fighting any opponent

Message was edited by: TS_Tiger®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this^^^ Why would you fight with a blindfold on?***

Mar 25, 2020, 12:09 AM

very simply if everyone is tested

Mar 25, 2020, 3:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Why do we want increased testing so badly? ]

and infected people are immediately put into quarantine, then the disease would be eradicated quickly

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knowledge is power homie.

Mar 24, 2020, 10:25 PM

Back when the fleas on the rats were causing the plague, they just didn’t know where it was coming from. Didn’t know who had it until they were dying and by then they’d already handed it off to a few other folks. They had lots of theories on the cause but not a firm grasp on the truth. (Still don’t know for sure if it was the truth, but we accept it because it’s over for now.)

The more we know, the more we grow. Or something like that.

Because we're chasing the boogeyman on his turf

Mar 24, 2020, 10:26 PM

without a map, a light, or even knowing if we have the right weapons or numbers in tow.

Widespread surveillance testing, targeted for optimal sampling, throughout the US (I'll start at home with SC), will feed our nation's #1 industry - technology - the goods it needs to reveal tendencies, volume, strength, and tactics of this thing so we can best mobilize our resources. And it needs to continue as we go to illustrate what's working best and what isn't.

Ignorance is not bliss here. Ignorance is panic and bad decisions.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Word. Guess I'm just thinking we don't need to spread this stuff

Mar 24, 2020, 10:31 PM

unnecessarily if you've just got some mild symptoms as a 30 yr old and show up at the doc giving it to a 80 year old sitting beside you who is at the doc due to another illness.

But I guess all the testing is done in your car?

Oh no doubt. I get that. Don't let it gather together

Mar 24, 2020, 10:48 PM

anywhere if you can help it.

I'm advocating more for private, home or workplace random surveillance testing in all areas, plus testing randomly in and around hotspots. Anything that's feeding spread, symptom, time, exposure, conditions, meds, diet, medical history, etc. data into our machines in as large a number as is available. This can be done with very limited exposure among persons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why do we want increased testing so badly?

Mar 25, 2020, 2:48 AM

They also help medical staff know what they are treating.

Replies: 8
| visibility 437
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic