Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
STOP comparing Dabo to Ford, there is little comparison
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

STOP comparing Dabo to Ford, there is little comparison

Jan 2, 2015, 10:52 PM

Other than the fact they r both fine coaches. Dabo will never be Danny. Until dabo wins a national title , I don't want to hear it. Danny is King. Danny Ford is a Clemson icon. Dabo is a fine coach but no... He is not an icon. He is not a Clemson legend yet.

Coach Ford will always be the man.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: STOP comparing Dabo to Ford, there is little comparison

Jan 2, 2015, 10:53 PM

who ru trying to convince?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2015, 10:54 PM

Nothing to convince . This is simply put .

Jan 2, 2015, 10:56 PM

K, got that part, but I doubt many people confuse Dabo for Danny.( there are alwasy those juans...get it maybe)

Jan 2, 2015, 10:57 PM

Are you kidding me. I feel totes joshed by this whole revelation.

I thought Danny had just had botox injections and stopped chewing tobacker

Jan 2, 2015, 10:58 PM

I am beginning to think you are LLP's scok. Not really, but Huh?

Jan 2, 2015, 10:59 PM

I'm just glad someone finally told me that Dabo isn't really Danny. Dassit

Jan 2, 2015, 11:01 PM

all these layers of sarcasm are proof the English language is defunked.

Jan 2, 2015, 11:03 PM

Hard to tail the difference between iron knee and everything else

Jan 2, 2015, 11:05 PM

what you said will accrue...

Himself*******

Jan 2, 2015, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Re: STOP comparing Dabo to Ford, there is little comparison ]

The body works better with a proper nerve supply.

Re: Himself*******

you get a -1

using your criteria we need to rename The Rock****

aquí

Jan 3, 2015, 12:07 AM

Nm

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give it up. Danny hasn't been our coach since 1989.

Jan 2, 2015, 11:50 PM

Be a Clemson guy. I'm for the current coach and the 11 players on the field. No one is King.

That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any

Jan 3, 2015, 12:18 AM

coach in history, and he is already an icon. He's done everything Ford did except for the national title, and before you go there Ford NEVER played uSC teams like the C0cks from 2010 to 2013. The C0cks of 2008 and 2014 were much closer to the C0cks Danny played, and you know what happened there.

Just out of curiosity, what would you say were Danny's four best non-probation years?

Re: That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any

Jan 3, 2015, 12:25 AM

Danny put us on the map. He won a national championship. Without that, our program would not have the prestige it has today. Dabo has done great things in the time he has been here. Until he wins a national championship, he is just another Clemson coach. I think he will win that championship within the next few years, but until he does he is just another post Ford era coach.

"just another Clemson coach"??? You must be joking?

Jan 3, 2015, 12:30 AM

How long have you followed Clemson football? I agree that Danny did good things (and some bad things) for Clemson, and winning the national title puts him on top, but to say Dabo is just another Clemson coach is absurdly silly.

I'm not contesting the theme you've exposed here at all.

Jan 3, 2015, 1:51 AM [ in reply to That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any ]

As far as taking a shot at Danny for cheating I think that's overboard. Everybody did the things that Clemson did in those years. Danny didn't pass out instruction to boosters and assistants directing them to pass out favors to land recruits.

You made your point you didn't have to drive it in the ground by landblasting Danny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not really sure where you're getting that from?

Jan 3, 2015, 4:20 PM

I didn't take any shots at Danny?? I was in school during Danny's prime, and believe me I appreciate everything he did for us. However, fact is it wasn't all a bed of roses. That's all I meant to convey, and the truth is Danny wasn't nearly as innocent in our probation as you seem to think. Kind of hard to compare coach A to coach B without weighing it all. In any case, I didn't bash him in any way.

Danny won 1 NC and 5 ACC Crowns. Dabo has some work

Jan 3, 2015, 4:26 PM [ in reply to That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any ]

to do. ACC is tougher now. If Dabo wins two more ACC crowns, I'll mention him with Danny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well you're right about one thing...

Jan 4, 2015, 2:39 PM

It was CONSIDERABLY easier to win games and conference titles in the ACC when Danny was coaching.

Our first two titles were against a 6-game league schedule with no championship game, where 9 of 12 wins were against ACC teams with 6 of fewer total wins. One team (UNC) had 10 wins and the two other biggest wins were against 8-4 teams in UNC and Maryland.

Our 3rd, 4th, and 5th titles (86-88) came against a 7-game schedule with no championship game. Losses to mediocre and worse teams like NC State and Maryland cost us a chance at bigger things nationally. If Dabo Swinney lost games like these he would be tarred and feathered on the spot. During those three championship years, no ACC opponent had greater than 8 wins. A grand total of 3 wins came against teams with 8 wins in those three seasons, and four teams had 7 wins. Everyone else had 6 wins or less.

In the 33 wins during those five championship seasons, 23 of the wins came against teams with 6 wins or less. Think about that. In fact, 13 of the 33 wins came against teams with 4 or less wins.

To say the ACC is harder now is a gross understatement. Therefore, to set some arbitrary opinion that Dabo needs to win two more titles to even be mentioned with Danny, well, that's obviously silly.

Dabo most definitely is doing more than every other coach in Clemson history. He deserves that recognition. There's simply no way to argue otherwise or say he needs to do this, that, or the other before he gains your respect.

Wrong. UMD, UNC, NCSU and GT were pretty good. How old

Jan 4, 2015, 6:00 PM

are you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC had 10 wins once. Nobody else ever

Jan 4, 2015, 8:18 PM

had more than 8 at any point. I don't consider that "pretty good" by any stretch. That's easy pickings for a team who was recruiting like Clemson.

Not on probation in 1981 - gotcha there***

Jan 3, 2015, 4:30 PM [ in reply to That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any

Jan 4, 2015, 2:12 AM [ in reply to That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any ]

When Dabo Swinney wins as many ACC Championships as Danny Ford, when he wins a National Championship. when he basically owns USC, yes then he can be compared to Danny-GO TIGERS!

Well, when and if the ACC

Jan 4, 2015, 2:45 PM

and uSC turn out sucking as much as they did then, then you may have somewhat of a point.

South Carolina was 6-6, 4-7, 3-6-2, 8-4, and 8-4 during our ACC championship years.

The ACC facts are here: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16618147. They sucked too.

OK, give Dabo the most expensive staff in college ball

Jan 4, 2015, 3:55 PM [ in reply to That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any ]

and he can win a Russell Athletic Bowl....yippee!!!!

They could hire me and give me the same staff and nothing would change. That shows how ridiculously unimportant Dabo is.

Give the coots a College HOF coach

Jan 4, 2015, 4:01 PM

And they can win some duck calls.

Didn't we just release our 1.3 million dollar coach and gave our best offensive performance of the year? Surely whomever can change Coordinators like that is doing something right. Didn't work for Auburn too well.

Clemson

But ####, you have the Ball Sack

Jan 4, 2015, 4:20 PM [ in reply to OK, give Dabo the most expensive staff in college ball ]

A 6-6 season and three 7-6 season including one this year, his 10th season? Are you you could personally do better than that, ####?

Re: OK, give Dabo the most expensive staff in college ball

Jan 4, 2015, 5:04 PM [ in reply to OK, give Dabo the most expensive staff in college ball ]

If they gave you the same staff, I'm sure you could get some wins, but the athletic department doesn't make those hires, Dabo does. Could you make those good hires?

What about recruiting too? Could you recruit at the high level he does?

Just because Dabos strengths aren't coaching doesn't mean you could emulate what he's done. To say that shows your ignorance.

What has Dabo done to make you think his strength is

Jan 4, 2015, 5:09 PM

not coaching? Say it enough and you might start believing it, but you don't get where he is unless you are a dang good coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't saying he was a bad coach, I was more talking about

Jan 4, 2015, 6:14 PM

His other strengths. He's one of the better recruiters out there and he's incredible at making the right hires. I don't know how much behind the scenes he does, but I believe he's a better coach than what people credit him for

I was just showing AllTimeClemson that he couldn't do as well as Dabo has done with the team. The poster isn't giving Dabo any credit for the success he's had

Danny won the NC and ACC title in his second year.

Jan 4, 2015, 5:58 PM [ in reply to That's not true. Dabo has done as much for Clemson as any ]

Dabo has done well, but Danny still holds the edge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pell left the program in much better shape than Bowden

Jan 4, 2015, 6:53 PM

did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet he never sniffed one again...because

Jan 4, 2015, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Danny won the NC and ACC title in his second year. ]

we would lose to suck teams like NCSU, GT, and Duke. With the players we had, I think we should have played for at least one more in the 80s.

Stop Huffing Paint And Posting***

Jan 3, 2015, 12:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson's three best coaches of all time...so far

Jan 4, 2015, 5:07 PM

I wondered when the Dabo haters would crawl out from under their collective rocks. This whole comparison is stupid.
The three top coaches in Clemson are:(listed in chronological order)
Frank Howard
Danny Ford
Dabo Swinney
Other than the fact they all played for Alabama, you can not really make a direct comparison as there are too many varibles. Howard was a master of the single-wing, t-Formation and the wing-T. Closest thing to any of these played today is Paul Johnson's offense at GaTech. For the most part, Clemson was a dominant member of the ACc but it only took 5-6 games to win it. Games outside the ACC except for Furman and PC were a disaster and were played to get $$$$. Danny coached I-formation and Pro-set power football. Both he and Howard featured a fullback carring the ball a lot. Danny hit Clemson at just the right time on the national scene. While neither of these coaches ever lost to Virginia, it was only a matter of time. Dabo coaches in the days of hurry-up and spread. Due to ESPN and the schedule we play with a conference championship game and a selection committee, he has the hardest row to hoe to get to a national championship. The bias toward the ACC doesn't help any. How successful would any of these coaches be if you could put them in one of the other's place? There is absolutely no way to know. Football has changed too much over the years. Howard had a losing record against the coots,mainly because of Big Thursday. His OOC record against the SEC was awful. But he was a legend and built the foundation for what we have today. He had some very good years. One undefeated season which was 11 wins counting the bowl. Danny had one undefeated season -the national championship. The only reason Clemson was # 1 was that no other team in America was undefeated. How long could Danny maintained if he had stayed at Clemson? We don't know. I will never understand why he couldn't win at Arkansas.He was atough, hard-nosed coach who did great things here.Dabo has had 4 years of 10 and 11 wins. No other Clemson coach has done this. He has built the program from the disarray of Bowden to what we have today with great recuits continuing. His players couldn't run the T-formation or Power I. Danny and Frank's couldn't run the spread.
In other words, you can't compare the three and no one should try.

That was very simply put, simpleton...living up to your name***

Jan 4, 2015, 10:08 PM

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic