Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will the offensive line be better in 2018 ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Will the offensive line be better in 2018 ?

Feb 20, 2018, 1:09 PM

The 2017 crew, although practicing against the Clemson Front 7 all year, got manhandled by an ANGRY Alabama squad.

Is there improvement on the horizon ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will the offensive line be better in 2018 ?

Feb 20, 2018, 1:09 PM

Yes

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be difficult to improve on 2017

Feb 20, 2018, 1:39 PM

Statistically, the 2017 offensive line was the best O-line in Clemson football history. They didn't have a good game versus Alabama (neither did the QB or WRs), but those guys were absolute road-graders all year.

I still think they'll be great in 2018, but expecting a marked improvement on last year is a lot to ask.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would be difficult to improve on 2017

Feb 20, 2018, 4:06 PM

agree. I think Bama knew we really didn't have a true deep threat receiver this year and they could load the box and come at KB plus stop the run. Their DB's were dang good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cain was/is an outstanding deep threat receiver

Feb 21, 2018, 7:49 PM

and will be in the NFL. Coaches and KB opted not to go deep as Fromm and UGA did against Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2018, 2:51 PM

O-Line was only a problem for one game really, but I do see it being better after adding depth at both tackle and guard as well as returning starters.

Feb 20, 2018, 9:10 PM

I just asked my magic 8 ball and it said yes, it has not failed me yet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

unpopular opinion

Feb 20, 2018, 10:12 PM

i thought oline underperformed for amount of talent they had, agree that it was the single most talent ladened bunch i’ve seen in my lifetime

sometimes really good lines with cohesion just happen, even with less talent. i really think trimming the amount of snaps for 2nd/3rd stringers (not just in regards to the lines) actually ends gms quicker and affords the 2nd/3rd teamers to play more

Re: unpopular opinion

Feb 20, 2018, 10:34 PM

there is so much that goes in to any unit being good, much less stellar. with that disclaimer, I was looking for more from the o line. I realize a number of frustrations were due to missed blocks in the backfield, but that line seems it should have manhandled most every defense it faced, but did not.

Feb 21, 2018, 7:45 AM

KB's lack of productivity throwing anything other than very short passes is what killed us. AL's Def. knew that and exploited it from the get-go. Load the box like they did against a team with no ability to stretch the field with a passing attack, and the result is what we saw. I wish I had confidence that KB could do it, but after the first few games, he seemed to lose confidence in his passing ability, and he became a running back. Maybe he gets his confidence back, but we will see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not only KB's arm, but our WRs couldn't win jump balls

Feb 21, 2018, 1:46 PM

Last year we could just throw it up to Williams or Leggett in single coverage, and they would win that matchup more often than not.

Feb 21, 2018, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Will the offensive line be better in 2018 ? ]

I completely agree. The only way to have any kind of running game against bama is to establish the downfield passing game first. That’s the only way to keep their lb’s off balance and not constantly coming downhill to blow up any type of running attack. DW did that, and we still didn’t run the ball very well against them.

Feb 21, 2018, 7:50 AM

They might be a little better but what is going to show a huge improvement is getting the ball out faster at QB

Feb 21, 2018, 4:29 PM

I think we need to attack the corner more. Whatever happened to the wheel route? Against Bama I understand, but not against anyone else we played.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2018, 1:48 PM

They weren’t bad last year.

no, no they weren't***

Feb 21, 2018, 3:40 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic