Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Geoff Collins to Ga Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Geoff Collins to Ga Tech

Dec 7, 2018, 9:43 AM

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/geoff-collins-hired-georgia-tech/3Ee8R5V7wSU6MVTrauMHOL/

It'll probably get worse for them long before it gets better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that could work. He has the right personality for

Dec 7, 2018, 9:47 AM

that job and Temple was actually pretty good this year.

At least they didn't hire Ken Whisenhunt (or Mack Brown).

The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire***

Dec 7, 2018, 9:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire***

Dec 7, 2018, 9:51 AM

I don't know any Tech fans so I have none to ask.

What is their reason for disliking it? Don't like what he has done or just not well-known enough for them?

Limited head coaching experience and

Dec 7, 2018, 10:01 AM

a very mediocre 15 - 10 record in a weak conference.

Most of the folks I know wanted someone like Kingsbury, Satterfield or Neal Brown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Limited head coaching experience and

Dec 7, 2018, 10:05 AM

Thinking Kingsbury would come in to take over an option program is hilarious.

The other 2 are reasonable wants but I don't see a ton of difference other than a little experience. Satterfield took an easier spot to turn around since he only has to compete against Kentucky in state. GA Tech has to compete against tons of major schools trying to come into Atlanta for recruits.

If you're GT, is this really the guy...

Dec 7, 2018, 10:12 AM

you want out recruiting against Alabama, Georgia, Auburn and Clemson?

Re: If you're GT, is this really the guy...

Dec 7, 2018, 11:21 AM

No. But to be honest I don't think that should be GA Tech's plan. They should be trying to find a guy who can beat NC State, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky for traditional offensive players.

I don't know if this guy can do that or not.

Then once they get the rebuild started you either stick with a guy who has been doing a good job or you try to make a bigger hire that can take it to the next level.

They are not going to hire a coach who can go against the big boys in the region if they are asking that coach to spend his first year or two with players who can't run his scheme on offense.

15-10 record in a weak conference. What does that

Dec 7, 2018, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Limited head coaching experience and ]

even mean? It's not like he's coaching Clemson in the AAC and going 15-10. He was at frigging Temple. He was in the northeast trying to recruit kids to play in Philadelphia. Do you think that's easy? These things are relative. And, for what it's worth, Temple finished 34th in S&P+ this year after being projected 81st in the preseason. They played their best football down the stretch winning 6 of 7 with the sole loss a very competitive game at UCF. He's also recruiting in the top half of the AAC and currently has Temple 56th in Rivals for 2019. That's solid.

And not every up-and-coming coach can go 12-1 or 13-0. Those guys only come around once every few years and they end up at Texas (Herman) or Nebraska (Frost) or Florida (Meyer), not Georgia Tech. I think too many people just have unrealistic expectations.

Re: 15-10 record in a weak conference. What does that

Dec 7, 2018, 10:31 AM

Matt Rhule left that Temple program in really good shape. Collins just kind of drifted along afterwards. Not saying he can't do well at GT and I'm sure they'll be patient and give him time but nothing really points to this being a dynamic hire.

Rhule did a great job at Temple. He had Temple up to

Dec 7, 2018, 11:19 AM

32nd in S&P+ his final season in 2016. But that's just 2 spots ahead of where they finished this year under Collins. And that 2016 team was led by a SR QB, SR RB, and a very SR heavy defense including Haason Reddick who got drafted 13th overall that year. Collins had to retool a little last year after losing all of those guys and i think it's positive that he was able to get the team back to that 2016 level this year.

I'm not saying GT knocked this hire out of the ballpark, but i think it's solid. We don't even know if Neal Brown was willing to take the job. It was a buyer's market this year and i wouldn't blame somebody like Neal Brown for sitting tight this year and waiting to see if jobs like USC and Auburn come open next year. Even if he can't actually land those jobs, those are still the kind of job openings that set off major dominoes and lead to other good jobs coming open.

unless he was some master recruiter at Temple

Dec 7, 2018, 12:28 PM

i think this hire was subpar. They needed to hire a recruiter and preferably someone familiar with the state of georgia. Tony Elliot must've turned them down b/c i don't know how you offer this guy over Tony. Tony is a great recruiter, offensive minded, and with his academic background would have fit perfectly into Atlanta and eventually become a superstar over there. Good for us, dumb for them.

Tell them to re-run their calculations.

Dec 7, 2018, 9:52 AM [ in reply to The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire*** ]

This is a homerun for GT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire***

Dec 7, 2018, 9:54 AM [ in reply to The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire*** ]

They would not be happy with any hire because the majority want Bobby Ross and or Bobby Dodd back and as we know that isn’t happening under present circumstances at tech. To them I say - give the man a chance!

Go Tigers ??!!

Re: The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire- true

Dec 7, 2018, 10:35 AM [ in reply to The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire*** ]

I heard all three of them grumble

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stinGTalk doesn't seem to mind.

Dec 7, 2018, 11:20 AM [ in reply to The Tech fans I know are not happy with this hire*** ]

https://stingtalk.com/board/threads/approve-of-collins.99414/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Geoff Collins didn't he play for Ga Tech?

Dec 7, 2018, 10:02 AM

Temple was ok might be a good hire; you never know.

I think he was a Grad Assistant

Dec 7, 2018, 10:03 AM

I believe he played at Western Carolina

Re: Geoff Collins to Ga Tech

Dec 7, 2018, 10:03 AM

Congratulations Coach Collins. Btw, your first game is at Clemson on a Thursday night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Re: Geoff Collins to Ga Tech

Dec 7, 2018, 10:48 AM

LOL, I think he is not a good fit.

Why not?***

Dec 7, 2018, 11:23 AM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic