Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
uhhh. ummmmm. Aids?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 423

uhhh. ummmmm. Aids?

Apr 15, 2014, 12:52 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=15258596#15258596

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ADHD is a cop out so they can just medicate kids and

Apr 15, 2014, 1:02 PM

be done with it. Don't care if that's insensitive.

Of course, all the parents that supposedly have kids with it are all like, "yeah, but my kid really DOES have it!!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ADHD is a cop out so they can just medicate kids and

Apr 15, 2014, 1:03 PM

So you never popped addy's?

A few times, sure...but popping one for an exam and being

Apr 15, 2014, 1:06 PM

force fed it from elementary school on is two different things.

Are there any young males who don't fit the description for ADHD? Heaven forbid they don't want to sit in a classroom all day and listen to someone talk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know, right? All kids have mood swings, wonder why

Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM

we don't just feed them all bi-polar meds. Everyone gets sad, why not just feed kids valium all day.

I wonder why in the world the medical community has made a distinction between these scenarios?

No need to when you can just sedate them with Adderall

Apr 15, 2014, 1:12 PM

Hopefully they'll have a personality after 20 years on the stuff.

Hopefully you don't have a kid that is ADHD

Apr 15, 2014, 1:20 PM

because your cavalier stance on the subject and total disregard for the opinion of the medical community will result in problems. Big ones, trust me.

The sad part is that the real problems will exist with your kid. And dad won't help.

Nah, beat 'em with a belt. That'll get 'em to behave. Yell a little louder at him when he cannot field a ground ball. That'll help. Heck, make him field thousands of them in the backyard. More studying. Yes that's it. Johhny 2nd grader just isn't hitting the books hard enough.

i'm not a professional, but I believe that

Apr 15, 2014, 1:21 PM

shit just got real

I have two brothers who are ADHD, one diagnosed as an adult

Apr 15, 2014, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Hopefully you don't have a kid that is ADHD ]

and I sometimes don't believe their stuff is worthy of medication, especially the one diagnosed as an adult. My little brother was diagnosed in Junior High or High School and once he got medicated, he lost ALL his creativity. It took a while to find the right dosage. I think it is mis-diagnosed alot, but it is a real thing. He is not a tolerable person without meds, it is bad.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people are actually DIAGNOSED as adults now??

Apr 15, 2014, 1:35 PM

i thought it was just automatic once you hit 18

lawdy mercy***

Apr 15, 2014, 1:35 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure I will by today's standards..hell I'm sure I did or

Apr 15, 2014, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Hopefully you don't have a kid that is ADHD ]

even still do by those same standards. Yeah, the examples brought up there are certainly justifiable reasons for getting them hooked on pills at an ungodly early age. Like I said, we wonder why there's a prescription drug problem. Dad will help, but it won't be by doping them up.

And you're not being honest with yourself if you don't think it's widely over diagnosed and used as a crutch for parents and students alike. I guess it's just easier to deal with everyone if they'll all act just alike, though.

crutch for teachers

Apr 15, 2014, 1:34 PM

#ohnohedidnt

Oh yes, I recall not too long ago the day which one

Apr 15, 2014, 1:41 PM

of my sisters teachers protested adamantly that she needed to be on ADHD medication, because ***GASP***, she talked too much in class. My parents are ######## too, but I imagine there are a great many that just roll with it and say "YES SHE DOES!".

Easy statement to make

Apr 15, 2014, 1:43 PM [ in reply to I'm sure I will by today's standards..hell I'm sure I did or ]

"widely over diagnosed and used as a crutch for parents and students alike"

Could be true, I don't know. But what would you base that on?

Medical community?
Being a parent?
Having a sibling or other relative "misdiagnosed"?

My thoughts are based on:
I have a child that is ADHD and more that are not.
I am a parent.
I have challenged the medical community on this, relented, and realized I was wrong.
I've never heard nor seen a parent, teacher, nor student use ADHD as a "crutch".
I've observed MANY kids that are "misdiagnosed" because they have not been diagnosed. They would be better off at home, socially, at school, and in other activities if diagnosed properly.

Much easier to throw a blanket over it and make wholesale comments when you aren't near or around it. Probably doesn't help that adderol is used recreationally as well.

Far better off in what way? Easier to deal with?

Apr 15, 2014, 1:54 PM

Try going to a college campus, you know why it's used so much recreationally? Because it's given out like candy to whoever wants it. I've been around it plenty, ever since I was a young bum in elementary school. The kids who've been on it all of their lives have zero personality or they're weird as ####, generally speaking. And yes, I've known many, many people who were "misdiagnosed", not because they weren't diagnosed, but because they knowingly went and got diagnosed when they themselves knew nothing was wrong with them. That is pretty telling about the standards used for diagnoses to me.

Your kid may need it, I'm not doubting you, what I do doubt is the seemingly ever increasing rate at which we're diagnosing people, especially children. And having spent time around what many would consider "druggies", it's easy to see the correlation between early use of pills and drug abuse later in life.

Welp, I guess a druggie can get drugs by feining

Apr 15, 2014, 2:59 PM

symptoms...that's not just limited to adderol, etc. It runs the gamut and yes is obviously an issue.

Inattention is the biggest thing that I've seen. There are obviously many sub categories of inattention, but that's the broad stroke answer. Hyperactivity can also be a symptom but not always, so it's not necessarily about keeping a kid under control or calm. Again you take a highly intelligent child with a strong parental background...and add a ton of inattention and it simply is an issue. Not one that is managed through easily.

Exercise, nutrition, and education are equally as therapeutic as medicine...at least for my child. While I would agree that putting any kid on pills should only be done with great caution, it doesn't override the need for many.

Creativity, by the way, happens to be a positive side effect to having the condition. Generally ADHD kids are more creative than others. 16 yr olds that pound pills for recreation may not show those same traits though and yes will come across as odd and zombie-like.

Re: Easy statement to make

Apr 15, 2014, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Easy statement to make ]

I also had one, was being passed up through the grades even though he was not passing. Put him in private school for a couple of years and guess what.
He graduated with his class even though we put him back in public schools. Mainly because the private school realized what was really wrong. And yes the public school recommended that he be put on medication prior to the private school stint but never mentioned it after.
Do some kids need it? Yes, but not at the level that it is recommended.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

ADD just means you lack the discipline to focus

Apr 15, 2014, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Hopefully you don't have a kid that is ADHD ]

I'm ADD when I don't want to do something.

what if you're ADD even when you DO want to do something?

Apr 15, 2014, 1:37 PM

that's my prob

uhhh, just ####### do it?

Apr 15, 2014, 1:38 PM

disclaimer: I have zero compassion or empathy for anyone

Being a psychopath does have it's perks.***

Apr 15, 2014, 1:39 PM

Can somebody my age get these pills?***

Apr 15, 2014, 1:10 PM [ in reply to A few times, sure...but popping one for an exam and being ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yeah, anyone can. Just say you have trouble concentrating

Apr 15, 2014, 1:11 PM

and it's done.

I couldn't even stay focused on your post.

Apr 15, 2014, 1:12 PM

got anything on ya?

I may know a guy...***

Apr 15, 2014, 1:22 PM

I can provide evidence of this concentrating

Apr 15, 2014, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Oh yeah, anyone can. Just say you have trouble concentrating ]

difficulty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol

Apr 15, 2014, 1:05 PM [ in reply to ADHD is a cop out so they can just medicate kids and ]

Like saying diabetes is a cop-out for laziness. Cancer a cop-out for bad hair. Polio a cop-out for those that lack athleticism.

And we wonder why prescription drug abuse is rampant now***

Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM

For some, yes, but not for all***

Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM [ in reply to ADHD is a cop out so they can just medicate kids and ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 423
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic