Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Faster: For Tony Elliott, 2014's offense wasn't fast enough
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

New Story: Faster: For Tony Elliott, 2014's offense wasn't fast enough

Mar 10, 2015, 1:39 PM

Faster: For Tony Elliott, 2014's offense wasn't fast enough

Tony Elliott and the offensive coaching staff did a self-evaluation during the off-season, and prime directive number one didn’t concern the young quarterbacks or finding a starter at running back or even getting one of the freshman offensive linemen ready to start. Elliott already knows he has the pieces in place to have a strong offense, but he wants it to go faster than it did in 2014. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get how anyone could think it was Deshaun..

Mar 10, 2015, 1:53 PM

when you look at it, Cole played more of the season than Deshaun did (Cole 8 games starting and playing majority vs Deshaun's 4 games...FSU, UNC, NC State, and SCar). If a QB would be a reasoning at all, DeShaun shouldn't be the name that comes up.

Re: I don't get how anyone could think it was Deshaun..

Mar 10, 2015, 1:56 PM

Well good news for us is, we won't have to worry about that this year. God forbid Deshaun get injured this year, but if he does, Kelly will be an upgrade over the horrendous play we saw from Cole last regular season.

You must have missed the bowl game

Mar 10, 2015, 2:31 PM

Will a hurt Kelly play as good as a hurt Cole did? Nobody knows. Tucker and Nic ain't laying down either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You must have missed the bowl game

Mar 10, 2015, 10:40 PM

Cole did resurface for the bowl game, but he was submerged most of the season. Granted, he was injured. I get that, but we were not as effective on offense when he was in the games vs. Watson. So glad Cole had a great bowl game, but the rest of the year was sub-par. Also, to the point of the comments by Tony Elliott, the offense was slowed way down as compared to prior years, and it showed. When we ran fast, we kicked butt. When we were slow, we were not as much a threat., IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2015, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't get how anyone could think it was Deshaun.. ]

Kelly?? I hope he can play better than he did in the Shrine Bowl game. He looked lost. I'd take a hurt Cole over a healthy Kelly right now.

Let's just hope that Watson can stay healthy for most of our games.

Mar 10, 2015, 1:58 PM [ in reply to I don't get how anyone could think it was Deshaun.. ]

Cole...technically 9 games if you count the bowl. Though Deshaun started the GT and Louisville games, he was out by 1st quarter, so those are also counted more to Cole.

When Watson wasn't in it almost wasn't an offense

Mar 10, 2015, 1:55 PM

I respect the heck out of Cole for winning the games he did for us but the offense was just hard t watch without Watson in for most of the year. I do put a bit of that on Morris however. I don't think he ever fully made a game plan around Cole like he did Watson and Tajh

it's hard to say what coach is to blame.....

Mar 10, 2015, 2:08 PM

either dabo or morris or both.........IMO early on they "handcuffed" themselves by saying cole's the starter and we'll put deshaun in here and there........problem is, A. they were 2 COMPLETELY different style of QB.....and B. the obvious, Watson was just THAT MUCH BETTER anyways............when you rotate two different skill sets at QB w/ at two completely different skill levels you're gonna naturally get inconsistency/slow down in the offense.........and HUNH requires some type of rhythm to be effective.

using the georgia game for an example cole's in and it's slow and methodical b/c of his limited skill set.........watson comes in and throws a TD within 4 plays..........then back to cole.
That game was essentially how our season was.

Re: When Watson wasn't in it almost wasn't an offense

Mar 10, 2015, 2:09 PM [ in reply to When Watson wasn't in it almost wasn't an offense ]

Man! Yardage was down by 20% with less snaps and injuries.

Re: When Watson wasn't in it almost wasn't an offense

Mar 10, 2015, 4:45 PM

Just goes to show what a good D can do for you. Offense's yards down by 20% and we still win 10 games.

That,

Mar 10, 2015, 5:05 PM [ in reply to When Watson wasn't in it almost wasn't an offense ]

signing up for every job that came along and passionately wanting to leave SC for Tejus is why he isn't here now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That,

Mar 11, 2015, 2:07 AM

I don't think the reason we ran less plays was because Morris wanted to leave for Texas (and it is Tejas for reference if you're referring to the Native American name).

Re: New Story: Faster: For Tony Elliott, 2014's offense wasn't fast enough

Mar 10, 2015, 2:35 PM

he needs to take those gloves off if he wants to get their full attention.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't really go fast until you get the first first down of

Mar 10, 2015, 4:05 PM

the drive, otherwise the defense gets gassed. there were a whole lot of three and outs with Cole as QB. Also, its not like we were in the 800's for snap count. We only missed 1,000 by 10 snaps.

Mar 10, 2015, 4:20 PM

I think we can run 180 plays per game this year if we emphasis tempo enough.

We specifically slowed it down a lot in 2014

Mar 10, 2015, 4:21 PM

There were times where we had to just play great defense and run some time off the clock on offense. In those previous seasons, we couldn't rely on the defense to keep us in the game consistently.

I think we probably would have lost another game or two if we kept our 2013/2012 speed. They would have been awful fast 4-and-outs instead of longer, slower, clock-running 4-and-outs.

Not Fast Enough?? ----

Mar 10, 2015, 4:35 PM

Get ready for the Usain Bolt tempo folks!!

Oh my god. This is so stupid. We had lower snaps because...

Mar 10, 2015, 4:58 PM

duh, our offense held the ball much less. We weren't getting as many first downs with the Morris/Stoudt combo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Well Captain Obvious...

Mar 10, 2015, 5:08 PM

nobody blamed anybody or anything for the lack of snaps. You only scratched the surface of why our snap count fell off last season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2015, 5:14 PM

2014 = 31:10
2013 = 27:36

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

cu #34

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2015, 6:26 PM

My non-coaching opinion is that Power and Speed will consistently cause a "hurry-up" offense to implode. National championships: Auburn vs. Oregon, Ohio State vs. Oregon. Maybe some others...

Mar 10, 2015, 10:31 PM

With my no coaching skills at all, I liked the way our O moved the ball in the bowl game better than any other time. It is possible to try and get to fast....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too fast...

Mar 11, 2015, 9:42 AM

Agree, that's why its called tempo and not just speed. And there's got to be strength and power too.

Like a golf swing or baseball swing, you can go too hard/too fast and then nothing works. But power combined with high tempo should be nearly unstoppable.

Snap the ball when we're ready and the defense isn't and hit the marks on full-power. Just don't dilly dally with the play calling or getting to the line-of-scrimmage and there's 10-15 seconds not run off the clock. Move with a purpose and confidence and tempo will improve.

OTOH, there were some games where we tried to use all the clock per snap just to run down clock. So TOP is up but snap count is down. What's the tempo when we aren't trying to kill the clock?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2015, 6:34 PM

A good, reliable offense combined with a great defense wins championships.

Mar 10, 2015, 7:16 PM

I don't think Elliot and Scott did a bad job against Oklahoma for their first game behind the wheel of the offense. I see nothing but good things ahead of this team.

Mar 10, 2015, 7:36 PM

How about that our defense was that good. No use in letting the offense lose games for us, especially in that horrid stretch in the middle of the season. Cole had completely lost all confidence and was just as likely to throw it to the opponent as he was to the good guys. Opposing defenses had keyed in on the short game and not a whole lot was working at all. Our coaches tried to shorten games and just let the Defense win.

Mar 11, 2015, 7:58 AM

What confuses most people about the HUNH is that if you do NOT move the chains with the HUNH, then it becomes ineffective and is detrimental to the team and especially your D. Making the D return to the field after a very quick 3-and-out is horrendous to the D. We failed to move the chains last season with the HUNH, so it failed us in many cases. If it's working as expected, it's a thing of beauty.

I don't care if the Tigers ran 10 plays short of 1000,

Mar 11, 2015, 8:59 AM

THEY STILL BEAT THE ####$!!!! Would running over 1000 plays for the year have helped the Tigers in beating GA or Fla State? I doubt it.

Go d@mn Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic