Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not to politicize a tragedy but there are some faslehoods.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Not to politicize a tragedy but there are some faslehoods.

Jun 18, 2015, 9:48 PM

According to a 2013 Pew Research study, 37 percent of households had an adult who owned a gun — 24 percent said they owned a gun, and 13 percent said someone else in their household did.

There are about 319 million people in the United States, so that means there are about 118 million gun owners in this nation. Mother Jones reports there have been 69 mass shootings in the last 30 years. The Washington Post says, a Congressional Research Service report published in 2013 counted 78 incidents over roughly the same period, in which 547 were killed.

That means, out of 118 million gun owners, 78 or .00007 percent of the gun owning population are potential mass murderers (using a 30-year total).

Since Mother Jones published its analysis, five people were killed in a shooting spree in Las Vegas that authorities said was driven by anti-government views. In February, a man named Joseph Jesse Aldridge killed seven people in Texas County, Mo., including several of his relatives, before taking his own life. His motivations remain unclear. So that makes 560 people killed.

Now we can add Dylann Roof to the list. It is awful and tragic. He appears to be a sick human being who should never have been given a gun.

Of course, now the gun control activists are out in force. Any white person who legally owns a gun must be a racist white supremacist nut bag.

It is a sad truth that there are likely more mentally ill individuals in our nation who will one day get their hands on guns, legally or illegally, and take the lives of some innocent souls.

But some perspective is needed.

Let’s take that figure for the number of people killed in the last 30 years during a mass shooting of 560 and add another nine to it. That makes 569.

Now compare that number to 10,076. According to MADD, that’s the number of people killed during drunk driving crashes in 2013 alone. In fact, every day in America, another 28 people die in drunk driving crashes. Every. Single. Day.

Using the liberal logic of banning guns because of tragic (and thankfully, comparatively rare) mass shootings undertaken by crazy white folks (and some not so white), should we not then ban cars?

Cars clearly cause many more fatalities in terms of numbers each day than whack nuts with a gun.

Heck, we should ban bathtubs too. Because 341 people die from drowning and submersion while in or falling into bathtubs. And floors. We need to ban floors too, because 565 people die each year from slipping, tripping or falling.

I don’t mean to be flippant, or to trivialize this terrible tragedy. But as the stories fly around in the next few days regarding this event, you can be darn tootin’ liberals will begin pushing their agendas.

It’s useful to have some facts at your fingertips to provide some perspective – because you’ll never get that from the mainstream media.

Note: this article was written by Michele Hickford

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Oh thank goodness.

Jun 18, 2015, 10:05 PM

Until I got to the very end, I was afraid you actually wrote that.

Thanks for the comedy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: Oh thank goodness.

Jun 18, 2015, 10:15 PM

Factual comedy at that... Meaning that all of the facts are true. Being shot by a firearm in the United States are one of the least likely causes of death. You're more likely to be killed by an automobile accident.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

"Factual"

Jun 19, 2015, 8:40 AM

Let's start at the beginning and see how far we can go before hitting bullsh!t...

According to a 2013 Pew Research study, 37 percent of households had an adult who owned a gun — 24 percent said they owned a gun, and 13 percent said someone else in their household did.

There are about 319 million people in the United States, so that means there are about 118 million gun owners in this nation.

Oops, we're there already. Even if those numbers were right (and the actual numbers are close enough: 34% of households include a gun owner), the author of your post took the percentage of households and converted it to the percentage of people. So a family of 6 with a single gun in the house would be counted as 6 gun owners, even if 4 of the household members were young children.

In reality, that household may have one or two actual gun owners.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

By the way Spooneye.

Jun 18, 2015, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Oh thank goodness. ]

I am all about disarming the people under these certain terms and conditions only. She's right, we need to disarm the criminals in this country. We need to make sure that they don't have any weapons... Then all we need to do is Nuke, China, N.Korea, Iran, Russia, Pakistan, Syria, Libya, Sudan, and then send in our military to disarm the planet. After that, we disarm all military and law enforcement. After that, I will gladly turn my weapon in for at least 50% of the cost that I originally paid for it. Once they meet those demands, then I will disarm.

1. We disarm criminals first. Criminals being defined as gangs, drug dealers, child molesters, rapist, thieves, and the criminally insane.

2. We disarm and /or annihilate China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, Pakistan, Syria, Libya, Sudan, and build a fortified bunker on the northern and southern boarders of the US.

3. We need to outlaw any religion that is supported by a doctrine that calls for the death, imprisonment, or enslavement of other faiths or nonbelievers that reject or refuse that faith... (ISLAM)

4. The rest of the world to include, law enforcement, military, and citizens must disarm and turn in all weapons of any sort for destruction and disposal.

5. Finally, our military and law enforcement needs to completely disarm to include the secret service. After all if nobody else has firearms then there is zero need for them anymore.

Just meet those five request and I will turn my weapon in to the government for disposal. Heck, I would be first in line. However, I think I will keep my weapon and my freedoms for now.

~Chesty Puller

It seems that spooneye

Jun 19, 2015, 7:37 AM

has run off......geez...liberals

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Found this video of you, bengaline.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:30 AM

But ChestyPuller isn't interested in playing ball with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg

- Jonathan Swift

The worst realization about all of this tragic mess?

Jun 18, 2015, 10:14 PM

The event itself is grossly insane and one of the worst tragedies to ever happen to the great state of South Carolina. What sickens me is the blatant negligence of the moral decay of our youth. When I was growing up, we didn't have nearly as many gadgets and widgets to play with and waste hours of the day accomplishing nothing. We had outside, our friends, our family. We used our wildest imaginations and shot at each other with toy guns. Things were golden in my youth. I can still vividly remember Lt.Gov. Nick Theodore telling me that children were the future. What ever happened to that?

The sickening part of this mess is the elected officials who pretend to care while using a tragedy to boost their own agenda or image. It makes me sick to my stomach, but the worst part of it all is how the media will be giving more exposure to Lebron James' retirement from the NBA by next week. Even worse, will be the Americans with very short memories who gorge themselves with hours of television like piglets at a feeding troth.

We've become so indulged with television and entertainment that we've forgotten how to be basic human beings. We are totally ignorant of the influences that are directly impacting our youth. We're allowing Tosh.O, Justin Bieber, and Lil Wayne influence the moral thought process of our youth. It's time to put Facebook and Twitter to rest for a while. Time to turn off the television. It's time to focus on family matters and influence our children to be positive contributors to the community. We need to be teaching selfless service to our children instead of entitlements and childish behaviors.

The people need to stop living on television and internet, and start becoming free thinking individuals who have goals to succeed in life. This will in turn set an example for the younger generations to follow. The actions of your offspring are a direct reflection of your leadership and mentor-ship in the home. If your child is failing at life in their teenage and early adult years it is because of your failures as a parent. Plain and simple, do your jobs as parents.

~Chesty Puller

Since I don't have/don't even kow any children

Jun 18, 2015, 10:37 PM

Can I keep my TV and computer turned on?

I make my living from both, so unless you want me on welfare, its probably a good idea.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since I don't have/don't even kow any children

Jun 18, 2015, 10:44 PM

In the famous words of Curly Howard.... Why Soitenly

~Chesty Puller

thumbs up***

Jun 18, 2015, 11:08 PM [ in reply to The worst realization about all of this tragic mess? ]

Except you politicized the tragedy anyway.***

Jun 19, 2015, 1:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I'm still waiting for his source from the last post he made

Jun 19, 2015, 1:20 AM

Patient Drewtigeralum is patient.

Re: Except you politicized the tragedy anyway.***

Jun 19, 2015, 2:09 AM [ in reply to Except you politicized the tragedy anyway.*** ]

Not exactly.. I didn't make it a political issue at all... I made it a moral issue.

~Chesty Puller

Gun control has little to do with gun control and a whole

Jun 19, 2015, 2:09 AM

lot to do with people control

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gun control has little to do with gun control and a whole

Jun 19, 2015, 2:13 AM

I agree with that statement... While I don't believe that everyone should own a firearm, I'm not sure as to how our nation would determine who could or couldn't. I honestly agree with some gun control measures. Measures such as background checks. I'm not in favor or a prior rapist owning a firearm. Nor a person who has been declared by proper adjudication to be mentally or criminally insane.

~Chesty Puller

Same with hand grenade control and nuclear sub control.***

Jun 19, 2015, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Gun control has little to do with gun control and a whole ]

- Jonathan Swift

Re: Same with hand grenade control and nuclear sub control.***

Jun 19, 2015, 3:03 PM

Look at how many people die each and every year from recreational drugs. I'm thinking that we should ban Cocaine, Crack, Ecstasy, and Heroine. Oh wait those drugs are already illegal. So why are people still selling them and why are thousands each year dying from them? It's probably because criminals have zero regard for US law. The same will be for firearms. If you restrict firearms to such a degree that nobody can use them for self defense it makes for a great pay day for criminals who will target citizens who obey the new gun laws.

~Chesty Puller

Jun 20, 2015, 8:52 PM

So you're saying that we shouldn't outlaw cocaine and heroin because people will break the law and use them anyway?

- Jonathan Swift

Same with murder bro

Jun 20, 2015, 8:55 PM

I mean, Cain murdered Able and it's been all downhill from there. Why outlaw murder when people have been murdering since we first picked up clubs (probably before that even).

Jun 20, 2015, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Same with hand grenade control and nuclear sub control.*** ]

No, Cocaine and Heroine is already outlawed and it's continuing to kill those who use it. If they outlaw firearms people will still die from them. The difference between drugs and guns would be that drugs kill the person using them. When guns are outlawed most of the people dying will be those that are unarmed and defenseless.

~Chesty Puller

Jun 20, 2015, 10:52 PM

you did see the factoid I posted where 1 in 34 gun homicides are justifiable self defense? right?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And another 22 'who served' commit suicide "every day"...

Jun 19, 2015, 4:02 AM

What's being done about that? Who created that culture? Thank them and remember them... then abandon the ones that don't sign back up. You don't get more than an occasional mention about that from the mainstream media, either... 22 per day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Something like 2/3 of shooting victims are suicides.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:31 AM

For some reason neither side ever seems to acknowledge that statistic.

Link

Jun 19, 2015, 9:43 AM

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/05/24/suicides-account-for-most-gun-deaths/

Thanks... +1. The point I was trying to make is these types

Jun 19, 2015, 10:28 AM

of tragic events create a media frenzy and a showcase for politicians, all who claim to "Support the Troops". Every sporting event starts with something along that line. But yet, they don't and the numbers don't lie. Is it just lip service or plain incompetence? 22 per day...yet the media doesn't hardly mention it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks... +1. The point I was trying to make is these types

Jun 19, 2015, 2:20 PM

You're correct in your assessment of 22 per day on average. The sad part is that it has nothing to do with guns at all. It has everything to do with transitioning. As a combat veteran, I have to say that it has little to do with my combat experiences. I survived suicidal impulses that I battled with on a daily basis for two years. These weren't thoughts mind you, but rather impulses that were so strong that it would drain every ounce of your energy to fight them. It was weird because you would be in a good mood and suddenly you would have a premonition of jumping off of a roof top, or running out into traffic. It would literally take all of your energy not to do it. I cannot explain it to a total degree, but I can say this much. I fought it and I won.

Some "experts", and I use that term loosely because they've never served in combat would argue that many commit suicide due to guilt or PTSD.... That is bogus info because it has nothing to do with it. Here are some factors that I feel like cause it.

1. We return home to an estranged family that has been separated from our lives for several years. They expect the same person to be returning home, but our experiences in combat have changed our persona to such a degree that we are literally a different person. Our family no longer knows who we are. It just feels weird and awkward.

2. Trying to figure out the next step in life isn't always so easy. We attempt to attend a college, but quickly find out that we do not belong or fit in with most of the students there because they have a different mindset.

3. Most of our friends have taken different paths in life and no longer remain connected to us.

4. Finding an income source is a task in and of itself. Most places that are quick to hire vets are also quick to pay you $9.00 an hour and act like its a ton of money. That's adds up to about 50% less than what I was getting paid as an E5 in the Marine Corps. To add more woes to the troubles, I now have rent, car note, and groceries among other expenses to deal with.

5. Most of us have a family of our own when we exit the service. Due to financial stresses and mental health disorders from trying to transition our spouses usually divorce us. This leaves us with legal expenses now, possible alimony and child support, and maybe a loss of material possessions.

With all of that loneliness and loss, what else is there to really live for? We have bare bones nothing. In fact, we now have less than nothing. So some of us just punch our time card and call it quits. Heck, I cannot blame some of my brothers for doing it. The hardest part is feeling betrayed by our own government. We literally fight for another 2 nation's civil liberties while ours are being auctioned off by congress at wholesale prices. We feel betrayed.

Up to this very day, I still have no clue how I survived it all. I just wake up each day and realize that nobody really wins at the game of life. So, I've decided to play the game until the buzzer sounds.

~Chesty Puller

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic