Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't think "most catches" makes you an all time WR at Clem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Don't think "most catches" makes you an all time WR at Clem

Dec 21, 2016, 10:53 AM

considering our style of offense under Dabo and guys like Rob Spence. A. Kelly and Artavis are very good players, but they piled up most of their catch numbers from bubble screens (Kelly) and quick passes to the outside as extension of the run game (Scott). Sammy did a lot of that too, but he was far more diverse in his WR game than those other two.

I wish so many people didn't forget about Tony Horne so often in their all time great WRs list. That guys was a baller and a warrior. He was better than Scott and Kelly in my opinion and should never should be left out of the Top 10.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously what the hell did Artavis do to you to make you hate on him

Dec 21, 2016, 11:07 AM

so much? Remember this summer when you said that Scott was our most over rated player? Sorry, but his career and accolades (all-acc every year of his career) don't back either of your claims.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1587458&ref=front

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

OP is clueless

Dec 21, 2016, 11:56 AM

HTH

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OP is

Dec 21, 2016, 12:35 PM

Tony Horne ? ? ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Don't think "most catches" makes you an all time WR at Clem

Dec 21, 2016, 11:19 AM

AK and Scott are clutch players past the line of scrimmage.

Another stat you should consider is their YAC/rushing stats within those plays and in A Scott's case the yards after contact/broken tackles.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree on Horne at least.

Dec 21, 2016, 11:21 AM

If he had come along a few years later, nobody would have forgotten him.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Williams is close but nobody lays out for a catch like Horne

Dec 21, 2016, 11:26 AM

in a Tiger uniform.

Part of the problem

Dec 21, 2016, 11:28 AM

Is that there a bunch of different types of WR's. Just like I wouldn't choose Spiller to get the 1 yard on a line plunge over James Davis or a bunch of other backs at Clemson, I wouldn't use that one scenario to say he wasn't one of the best RB's to ever play at Clemson.

Scott is a guy you get the ball in space and let him rack up the YAC. He isn't Williams who is goign to go up over CB's and catch the jump balls and back shoulder fades (or at least as often), but he is lethal on a well-called and properly blocked screen or pop pass.

It is rare that player can do it all, and with that I think most folks would agree Sammy is #1 on the list. If we're talking pure hands, we're probably gonna put Hopkins at the top. If we're talking clutch catches, I can't see any list leaving Renfroe off. Slants? Kelly was the man (that 4th and 5 catch against the ##### with a dude batting at the ball was as clutch a slant catch as I've seen.

So, there's a ton of criteria and everyone will rank them differently. You may think Scott overrated, I think him an incredible talent who we are simply lucky to have on our side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's super close, but I think if I can only have one of them

Dec 21, 2016, 11:30 AM

I'd rather have Nuk than Sammy.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see that

Dec 21, 2016, 11:35 AM

Like you say, it's super close.

I think for potential explosiveness I'd take Sammy, but Nuk has the best hands of a WR I've ever seen in a Clemson uniform, and did run cleaner routes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. Nuk was more durable and "clutch" IMHO ...

Dec 21, 2016, 11:39 AM [ in reply to It's super close, but I think if I can only have one of them ]

I don't think Nuk ever missed a game due to injury and he certainly didn't get suspended while he was a Tiger.

The catch Nuk made on 4th & 14vs LSU cements his place in the all-time Clemson receiving lore.

In spite of all the great things Sammy did while at Clemson, I can't recall an individual catch by Sammy that stands as important and memorable as Nuk's.

Love Sammy, but Nuk is better overall to me.

Sammy's Orange Bowl catch over the tOSU DB was memorable***

Dec 21, 2016, 11:47 AM

Sluggo vs FSU, VT in ACC champ game sealed it

Dec 21, 2016, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Me too. Nuk was more durable and "clutch" IMHO ... ]

several against maryland in the highest scoring game I can remember.

Syracuse 99 yarder?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

those are just off the top of my head...***

Dec 21, 2016, 12:25 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sluggo vs FSU, VT in ACC champ game sealed it

Dec 21, 2016, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Sluggo vs FSU, VT in ACC champ game sealed it ]

Also the slant against UGA. That was huge!!

Dec 21, 2016, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Sluggo vs FSU, VT in ACC champ game sealed it ]

Pardon me but who is Sluggo?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2016, 6:13 PM

Fake slant, then go long ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Scott goes down as one of the toughest WRs

Dec 21, 2016, 11:45 AM

in Clemson history. I'd have Scott in the top 15 at the position. I just wouldn't have him in the top 10 even if he breaks the school record in catches. That's no knock on him because he's been a very good to great player for us in his career. We've just been fortunate to have a lot of studs play that position the last 50 yrs.

Re: I think Scott goes down as one of the toughest WRs

Dec 21, 2016, 12:32 PM

So who are 10 above him???? Give me a break dude. Number of receptions matter.

Aaron Kelly got most of his catches and yards down field.***

Dec 21, 2016, 11:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2016, 12:31 PM

Artavis is for sure a top 10 WR all time at Clemson. With the talent we have had while he has been here and for him to have the same number of grabs as Sammy in 3 years like Sammy is amazing.

Dec 21, 2016, 12:43 PM

Atay is the man; catches anything you throw at him, helped carry us last year in a big way, and continues to be there in whatever way coach asks him to. In many ways he should be in the top 5 of clemson receivers all time. Fills in where he is needed and excels, all while having a huge smile on his face. And talk about a lock on catching punt returns

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic