Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: ESPN's Edwards thinks both Clemson and Bama have Orange Bowl ticket concerns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: ESPN's Edwards thinks both Clemson and Bama have Orange Bowl ticket concerns

Dec 4, 2013, 2:49 PM

ESPN's Edwards thinks both Clemson and Bama have Orange Bowl ticket concerns

ESPN college football analyst and BCS guru Brad Edwards held a conference call with the media Wednesday afternoon. What are his thoughts on Clemson making the BCS, and what are his concerns about a Clemson-Alabama matchup? Photo by Steve Mitchell / US PRESSWIRE Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't hurt us last year did it? We always travel well

Dec 4, 2013, 2:55 PM

The only reason the last OB didn't look great was because of the day it fell on.

Re: Didn't hurt us last year did it? We always travel well

Dec 4, 2013, 2:56 PM

Um, so we DON'T always travel well then.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Didn't hurt us last year did it? We always travel well ]

we dont always travel well. We did not travel well at all last time we went to the Orange Bowl. And that was after winning the ACC Championship. The Peach Bowl is played close to home on a holiday. The Orange Bowl is played far away on a week day. (unless that has been changed) Taking Clemson would be a mistake.

It was on a Wednesday. Who can go to a game on WEDNESDAY

Dec 4, 2013, 3:09 PM

Not me. Its a struggle to get fans to a game at their home stadium on a thursday night.

Re: It was on a Wednesday. Who can go to a game on WEDNESDAY

Dec 4, 2013, 9:57 PM

I was set to carry my whole family to Orange Bowl but couldn't because my daughter and granddaught was back in school on that Wednesday. We had to leave the two with my mother-in-law. Found out that a few teachers whom is Clemson grads couldn't go as well because of a midweek game with school.

Wouldn't that be true for any team that they pick?

Dec 4, 2013, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't hurt us last year did it? We always travel well ]

Maybe they should pick Miami and USF.

this year it is on a Friday, not a Wednesday

Dec 4, 2013, 3:21 PM

I couldn't go last time because it would have taken 4 days vacation at minimum, right after Christmas and New Years holiday. This year, just need 2 (Jan 2nd and 3rd). MUCH different scenario.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this year it is on a Friday, not a Wednesday

Dec 4, 2013, 8:54 PM

You are all over it! I think greed for the TV revenue last time got in the way of respecting what fans could do, and it cost the hotels, etc. a mint in lost revenue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wouldn't that be true for any team that they pick?

Dec 4, 2013, 4:41 PM [ in reply to Wouldn't that be true for any team that they pick? ]

They wouldn't pick Miami because their fans don't show up for a regular season Miami games at the same stadium. Assuming FSU goes to Pasadena and the Orange Bowl wants to have an ACC team, it is a "no brainer" for the Orange Bowl to pick Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can't pick Miami by rule

Dec 4, 2013, 4:58 PM

They're not in the Top 14 of the BCS.

No team travels great anymore.

Dec 4, 2013, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't hurt us last year did it? We always travel well ]

There are issues with any team and their ability to pack a bowl stadium. How many teams in contention for a BCS bowl berth can really travel better than Clemson or Bama?

Dec 4, 2013, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Didn't hurt us last year did it? We always travel well ]

To be fair, it was a terrible time to schedule a game. It was on a Wednesday night, I believe at 7PM, on January 4th, and everybody with a job had finished their holidays and were back in the middle of a work week. Schedule a game at a decent time, and many more Clemson fans usually will attend, especially for a BCS Bowl Game. That fans didn't show up was more on the TV scheduling and the need for that TV money than on the fans or on the university IMO. I'm surprised there were as many there as showed up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Beginning to believe ESPN and "Expert" are contradictory.***

Dec 4, 2013, 2:57 PM

shoot, the backup WalMart Bama fans will come if nobody else

Dec 4, 2013, 3:02 PM

you know, the ones that can't get regular game tickets and only go to the Spring game? They do get 90,000 for the Spring game every year.

Did he happen to discuss the exciting SCAR-Iowa matchup and the potential quick sell out for that one?

Completely understand the concerns...that's a long drive

Dec 4, 2013, 3:03 PM

and it's an expensive trip when you're dealing with a deflated fanbase.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah and it's not safe to pull a doublewide that far***

Dec 4, 2013, 3:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Easy solution for the OB

Dec 4, 2013, 3:12 PM

Take Clemson because of the ACC ties.

Then take Mich St if they lose to OSU this weekend! There is nothing forcing the OB to take Alabama.

I would think that Mich St would bring a fairly large crowd, trying to get away from the Mich winter. Clemson fans may be more incline to attend, thinking we have a better shot at actually winning. This would be a fun match-up in my opinion!

Under that scenario, MSU would still play in the Rose Bowl

Dec 4, 2013, 3:18 PM

as a replacement pick. MSU is probably in the Rose whether they win or lose to Ohio State.

Not necessarily....

Dec 4, 2013, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Easy solution for the OB ]

If Michigan State loses to Ohis State, there is a chance they drop out of the top 14 in which case the Rose would pass on them.

It doesn't matter that this year's game is on a Friday...

Dec 4, 2013, 3:30 PM

Ticket sales will be soft regardless. Our fanbase is deflated right now and a high-expense trip after the Holidays isn't a priority for most folks. They would just assume watch the game on TV.

As BigCUFan pointed out, MSU might fall out of top 14

Dec 5, 2013, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Easy solution for the OB ]

with a loss to OSU in which case they aren't even eligible to be selected for a BCS Bowl. I'm sure the Rose would love to take them if they are eligible because they do everything in their power to get a Pac 12 vs B1G matchup, but if MSU isn't in the top 14 there's nothing they can do.

That will actually cause a fairly interesting scenario where neither the Rose nor the Sugar could get their team of choice as both would prefer to get a school from their affiliated conference.

Orange - Bama
Rose - Can't select a B1G team (or SEC, or Pac 12)
Orange - ?
Sugar - Can't select an SEC team as 2 are already in BCS
Fiesta -

The Rose would only be able to select from the following teams:

Clemson
UCF
NIU
Big XII at-large (probably only Baylor eligible)

Miami is out of the way for most people.

Dec 4, 2013, 3:33 PM

So they are understandably concerned about any team's fans traveling to their stadium in droves. But schools like Clemson and Alabama, who always travel well, should give them the least cause for concern.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Except for Cubans apparently

Dec 4, 2013, 3:42 PM

;)

Deer OB committee...GOOD LUCK finding....

Dec 4, 2013, 4:04 PM

...a better matchup...LOL!

..100% right..any of the other matchups aren't even...

Dec 4, 2013, 5:56 PM

..close...and my tigers have a chance for redemption.....

Beating Alabama in the Orange Bowl would be a sweet

Dec 4, 2013, 4:27 PM

way to wrap up the season. It will take something like that to get rid of the bad taste from Saturday. Much rather have something like that to fall back on during the offseason like LSU gave us this past year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem is that few want to see a blowout in-person or on TV***

Dec 4, 2013, 4:35 PM

Aw, we'll take it easy on Nicki. We'll even bring a present-

Dec 4, 2013, 5:08 PM

Finebaum.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Problem is that few want to see a blowout in-person or on TV***

Dec 4, 2013, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Problem is that few want to see a blowout in-person or on TV*** ]

Aw Razz…..Dabo will let up on em about half way through the forth quarter let em get a couple junk TD's to make the score look a little better. Doesn't want to embarrass his alma matte. :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: ESPN's Edwards thinks both Clemson and Bama have Orange Bowl ticket concerns***

Dec 4, 2013, 6:56 PM

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Take Clemson and SCar.

Dec 4, 2013, 6:58 PM

That would sell out.

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Re: Take Clemson and SCar.

Dec 4, 2013, 7:25 PM

Bama fans are loyal and spoiled, they will travel, but their numbers to the OB this year would be down from previous bowl games for obvious reasons. Tiger fans will likely travel in force for a BCS matchup versus a Bama type team. Probably more orange than red/maroon in the stands IMO. Bigger game for Clemson fans, more at stake. Imagine if the Tigers beat Bama, one of the best wins in years, Bama fans likely to think opposite.

Re: Take Clemson and SCar.

Dec 4, 2013, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Take Clemson and SCar. ]

that would be the only way to sell it out ; as the article said Clemson only had 3 teams that was of any consequence ; they squeaked by a not so good Georgia team ( time has shown) and fell flat on FSU and was embarrassed by USC ; O B better hope Tide fans sell it out because don't think Clemson will see it's allotment

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Coot, Georgia was ranked #5 and had all thier players

Dec 5, 2013, 8:38 PM

healthy. They suffered injuries throughout the year as everyone with any college football knowledge knows except your goofy ###. One thing is for sure is SC won't be going to a BCS Bowl again and won't have any conference championships again, The trophy case is still empty.

Probably true. Good idea. 63-17 here we come!!!***

Dec 4, 2013, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Take Clemson and SCar. ]

Re: Front Page Story: ESPN's Edwards thinks both Clemson and Bama have Orange Bowl ticket concerns

Dec 4, 2013, 8:49 PM

The whole bowl scene for the most part is to pad the executives of the bowl itself. They force teams to pay high rates for a minimum number of tickets that they are required to sell as opposed to just placing the tickets on the open market to see what they will sell for. Thus, Clemson will have to pay full retail for 17,500 tickets (previous allotments) just to come and play. The rest get dumped onto the open market and sell for just a fraction of what the schools have to pay.

Then position yourself on the corner of the map and it ain't exactly like traveling to Atlanta.

I think this will all be solved this weekend.

Dec 4, 2013, 9:00 PM

When Clemson falls out of the top 14. I think the OB is torn between feeling obligated to take an ACC team and not wanting Clemson. No matter what we will not have enough fans travel that far after two blowouts for fear of seeing a third. Of the bowl games I've been to I didn't really think clemson had that large a fanbase in attendance compared to the other teams. Plus, I don't know why anyone would want to go play a pissed off bama team anyways.

Re: I think this will all be solved this weekend.

Dec 4, 2013, 9:02 PM

How many bowl games have you been too?

What other teams fo you go to their bowl games to compare?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Every bowl game that I've attended, we were well

Dec 4, 2013, 9:10 PM [ in reply to I think this will all be solved this weekend. ]

represented compared to the other team's fans. There were not as many Clemson fans at the Orange Bowl as West Virginia, but the timing had a big part in that game.

Bowl games

Dec 4, 2013, 9:21 PM

Been to several peach bowls. Miss st, tenn. Been to two music city bowls the gator bowl vs. Nebraska where I thought Nebraska outnumbered us by a lot. And the game vs usf. I know not very big bowls but still bowl games.

Re: Front Page Story: ESPN's Edwards thinks both Clemson and Bama have Orange Bowl ticket concerns

Dec 4, 2013, 11:36 PM

I love this matchup.

RT- Didn't hurt us last year

Dec 5, 2013, 12:59 AM

Do a little research. The Chik Fil A Bowl almost always sells out before the teams playing in it are even announced.

A not so good Ga

Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM

Seriously? No team in the country could've survived the injuries they had on offense. At one time they had all starting RBs and WRs out at the same time I believe. We beat them full strength, and that offense full strength is a dang good offense. Top 15 team without all the injuries.

Went last year after EOY pounding. Not this year.

Dec 5, 2013, 1:08 PM

And my company will not be buying any to give to clients until we beat SC again.

He thinks the Orange bowl is concerned about ticket sales...

Dec 5, 2013, 2:41 PM

if they pick CLEMSON and ALABAMA!?!

Who does the Orange Bowl think is going to be a hot ticket option?

null

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic