Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it a good idea for Trump to tout "game-changers?"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 756

Is it a good idea for Trump to tout "game-changers?"

Mar 20, 2020, 9:36 AM

This is just a personal observation, but one thing I've long noticed is that idiot leaders tend to get exposed in times of crisis. People lose patience with leaders who don't know what they're doing, and it's always been in the midst of crisis when rational, sober, serious leaders tend to rise to the fore.

Trump didn't start this crisis off particularly well. He spent months denying the seriousness of COVID-19 - amplified by the echo chamber at Fox News - though now, confronted with the prospects of a collapsing economy and potentially hundreds of thousands (or more!) dead, has (to his belated credit) abruptly pivoted, and embraced the crisis with both hands. The problem is, we're also behind the curve in terms of preparation and Trump now seems to be trying spin the potential of "game-changing" medications that could knock this bug down in a few short weeks.

I'm not sure that's wise. This bug looks like it's going to be a lot more of a protracted siege than any kind of quick fix and the pandemic could well extend into the fall...or even longer. And the longer this goes on, the less patience people are likely to have with Trump's ever-shifting narratives and questionable relationship with truth and fact. He can't spin, right now...he has to crisis manage with cold dispassion.

Trump's popularity rate has remained largely fixed at around 42% pretty much his entire presidency, and seemingly nothing - not impeachment, not Russia, not mistresses, not tax returns, not anything - has changed that, but this crisis is something that could and without question will finally move the needle.

If he's to move that needle upwards, Trump's going to have to be positive, constant, sober, unifying, and above all else, competent. Prior to COVID-19 he maintained the support he did have largely on the strength of the economy; now that the economy's gone, if he's to get through this it's going to have to be on the strength of his actual leadership.

Can he?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am working feverishly to find...

Mar 20, 2020, 9:39 AM

all the political ramifications of this crisis for confirmation bias of my sociopolitical worldview.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am working feverishly to find...

Mar 20, 2020, 10:48 AM

Well, golly gee, shame on me for asking what the "political ramifications" of this crisis are likely to be...on a politics and religion board.

Trump's got a definite opportunity here. If he successfully leads America through this crisis, a whole lot is going to be forgiven and he'll get that five-per-cent-or-so (or a lot more!) of that swing vote he needs to win re-election.

If he fumbles it - and repeatedly promising what he can't deliver and then moving the goalposts is almost certainly not going to cut it, not on this - then he won't, and he'll get crushed, and it really is probably that simple.

I myself am genuinely curious how things are going to go. I mean, I personally think Trump's a narcissistic populist fool and that's going to get more exposed the deeper into the soup America gets, but I'm also willing to admit Trump might just be crazy like a, well, fox, and might somehow Forest Gump his way through this, too. He's been remarkably adept at surviving stuff in the past.

I am making no predictions, myself. I've personally learned the future tends to make fools of us all, one way or another, so I've kinda given up trying to predict tomorrow with any certitude.

this is not a political problem***

Mar 20, 2020, 12:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh,

Mar 20, 2020, 9:42 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump is an idiot

Mar 20, 2020, 9:44 AM

Biden said he was guilty of fearmongering when he banned travel...

Oh, and WHO...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-03/who-chief-says-widespread-travel-bans-not-needed-to-beat-china-virus

It would be a good idea if everybody would stop playing the blame game, but it's not going to stop.

Looks like all your hard work paid off.

Mar 20, 2020, 10:19 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/I-am-working--feverishly-to-find-27022323

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:22 AM

I was thinking honest wasn't a top priority in that post.***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:45 AM

Re: Uh,

Mar 20, 2020, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Uh, ]

Pointing out Trump's travel ban only addresses one of Mr. Hauss's points. What about the other ones ?

What other ones?

Mar 20, 2020, 12:56 PM

Trump and his minions still view this as a public relations

Mar 20, 2020, 9:59 AM

nightmare primarily, for the reasons you state. The stock market rise was the only thing he could sell. He and they are working feverishly to absolve Trump of any responsibility for anything other than markets that go up.

Once we have things more under control and can begin to examine what went wrong, the truth will come out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump and his minions still view this as a public relations

Mar 20, 2020, 10:16 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=27022476#27022476

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Trump and his minions still view this as a public relations

Mar 20, 2020, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Trump and his minions still view this as a public relations ]

Unfortunately, Trump's eye has been on re-election and

Mar 20, 2020, 10:33 AM

that has been obvious from his refusal of test kits/test kit debacle and basic inaction, especially early on.

Remember, Trump is the President of the United States of America.

Again, the truth about the last few months will come out eventually, in spite of the efforts of some.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you right square...***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:47 AM

Trump has lied over 18,000 times in a little over 3 years.

Mar 20, 2020, 11:10 AM

And people of your ilk want to lecture people on truth.

You're just jealous that he two lies ahead of you.***

Mar 20, 2020, 12:57 PM

I am sure people who you agree with have the answers***

Mar 20, 2020, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately, Trump's eye has been on re-election and ]

Ugh...more impeachments coming

Mar 20, 2020, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Trump and his minions still view this as a public relations ]

Maybe wait until we have a functioning country?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

welp, youve been wrong about everything else, why not this?***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:11 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Rex Tillerson’s assessment seems to be accurate. Since ...

Mar 20, 2020, 10:29 AM

people like Mattis, McMaster, Kelly and Haley are not part of the decision making team, competent crisis management is unlikely.

But hey, I play some hard ways in Craps .... come on double fives!

you don't like trump i never knew til now***

Mar 20, 2020, 10:31 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it a good idea for Trump to tout "game-changers?"

Mar 20, 2020, 12:33 PM

I am not sure that he has the intelligence to fully grasp the possible scope of this crisis, nor the focus to devote himself to its ongoing solution.

I think he might be best off staying mostly out of the limelight and let the health care experts do the briefings. I think that would do more to accurately inform and significantly reassure the public.

Re: Is it a good idea for Trump to tout "game-changers?"

Mar 20, 2020, 12:36 PM

I think the term "gamechanger" falls into Trump's method of operation nicely. He cares only for the latest news cycle. If the old malaria drug works, which would be wonderful, then he gets the next few news cycles. If it fails, he'll move on to another news cycle.

Blaming Dems, taking credit for something he didn't do or propping up false hope.

Either capture the news cycle.

Your proposed option..? Something is better than nothing.

Mar 20, 2020, 12:49 PM

If you get 'it', I bet you'd feel the same way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The MDM jumps on every new tweet like a cat chasing...

Mar 20, 2020, 1:25 PM

a dot of light. If Trump constantly keeps them on the move that's the MSM's fault. They constantly look for something negative and new about Trump.

He plays them, and you, like a fiddle. The media defines the news cycle, doesn't it? Ask Felix.

every press conference has a speaker congratulating

Mar 20, 2020, 1:15 PM

President Trump. What are they congratulating him on?

This isn't the time for patting themselves on the back every day. If they need some self-affirmation, they just should go home and pet their dogs.

It's weak and looks like they are pandering for some reward or some affection from their boss.

The whole crew, except Fauci, look and sound like an incompetent bunch of toadies.

Maybe Trump is allowing them to help determine what...

Mar 20, 2020, 1:28 PM

the government should do to end America's misery. See, that way they are really patting themselves on the back.

You never worked in corporate management, did you?

Fauci is the only credible actor in this. He disappeared

Mar 20, 2020, 1:37 PM [ in reply to every press conference has a speaker congratulating ]

after Trump said he was "becoming a major television star."

Glad they realized that and brought him back.

Replies: 29
| visibility 756
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic