Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
thinking about the rankings..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 928

thinking about the rankings..

Oct 8, 2019, 6:47 PM

20th-UVA at 4-1 only loss was to ND at ND and also out gained ND despite 5 turnovers that game..
12th-Auburn who put up less yards and points than Miami vs UF also giving up 100 more yards than Miami
15th- Utah 0 ranked wins and 1 loss vs unranked USC. 0 ranked teams on the schedule this year.
16th- Michigan who should've lost to Iowa and Army both at home with a "vet" QB? Up 3 ranks after 10-3W
19th-WF 5-0
25th- A&M 3-2 wins vs 2 non p5 and 1 p5 (Arkansas who lost to a non p5 already) and never looked close vs clemson.

UNRANKED- 5-0 Minnesota, 4-1 Missouri

Just weird they have Auburn ranked who was outplayed in their "signature win", LSU gave up 530 yards to Texas but Texas can't recover from that loss when LSU skyrocketed and is still riding hype although their toughest opponent has been Vandy who dropped almost 40 on them. OSU has just been praised although they've played THREE non P5 teams already and the only defense they've played was Michigan State who held them aside from the 2Q. UGA remember the Notre Dame team that "was soo bad they shouldn't be in the playoffs" as your players said last year? UGA nearly was beaten at home by a Notre Dame team that struggled through Louisville and lost their top 2 RBs, OL, 2-3 DL LB and best CB from last year..

Currently thinking maybe rankings shouldn't be a thing until the last few weeks of the year, without a number beside them things like "beating a ranked Auburn" wouldn't be a thing they'd say "they beat a 7-5 Auburn team" instead of claiming they were ranked because they held a high preseason rank before anyone saw them play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep! But It'$ All About The Benjamin$

Oct 8, 2019, 7:03 PM

SethSlyy - I agree 100%. The problem is "the marketing division at the networks have to have them early season rankings"! It gets more people interested in watching. The more people who will be watching the more advertisers will want to use that game to promote their goods/services! The more they do that - the more money can be made!

Generally speaking is also why so many SEC teams get ranked. Yeah, some are genuinely good too! But, they stay ranked b/c of the large fan bases and high interest! It will draw more eye balls to the TV when teams are ranked "studies show"! LOL, made that last part up but would not doubt if it's true!

Flip it: put ACC teams highly ranked like that! EVen if the teams are good is the interest in Duke football going to garner as much advertising dollars? Their stadium holds 47 thousand and it wasn't full last weekend for a prime time game with last years coastal winner!

They should leave it alone until after week 7 or so! But, don't see it happening!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thinking about the rankings..

Oct 8, 2019, 7:16 PM

PERCEPTION and BIAS are the two featured measures utilized in ranking college football teams, as well as many other topics. The pre-season rankings are strictly perception and , I must admit, Clemson has benefitted somewhat from perception. But, if Clemson were defeated by any one of the top SEC teams our ranking would drop like a lead balloon. A loss by an SEC team to another SEC team does not affect the loser's rank as much as it would for Clemson or some other team. For example, look at Auburn. They defeated Oregon and were virtually crowned king of the universe. Florida put a beating on Auburn (and it should have been worse) and it's considered a "good loss", therefore, maintaining a lofty ranking in the polls.

The polls are part of our "culture" and I doubt if the powers that be will clamor for a change as long as the SEC can get five to seven teams in the top ten.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a beauty contest

Oct 8, 2019, 7:22 PM

and some voters like ugly.

Re: thinking about the rankings..

Oct 8, 2019, 8:56 PM

Too much common sense in a place where egos and no sense run amuck! I 100% agree with you. Sad that the so called sports guys won’t admit they are wrong week to week and bump someone back. Perfect example is LSU keeping the clout of beating an extremely over ranked Miami last year after Miami proved they were a fraud. Just my two sense!

Replies: 4
| visibility 928
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic