Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Staying Power
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

New Story: Staying Power

Jan 16, 2016, 8:01 AM

Staying Power

What do you get when you have a stable coaching staff, outstanding recruiting, a rabid fan base and facilities that rival any others in the country and have a team that is on the front end of a wave of momentum that should last for a while? Staying power. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Staying Power

Jan 16, 2016, 8:26 AM

Nice article, David. These are truly exciting times for Clemson fans. Saban has the rings, but Dabo is the greatest coach in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love Dabo and probably will get blasted but Saban outcoached

Jan 16, 2016, 11:13 AM

him in this game. Special teams and defensive backfield (linebackers?) need some help? AND I THINK DABO WILL ADJUST AND MAKE US CHAMPIONS NEXT YEAR AND SEVERAL TIMES IN NEXT DECADE! GO TIGERS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2016, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Staying Power ]

I was also at the national championship game. My interactions with the other fans told me that they also realize that Clemson has a quality program that will be a formidable opponent for years to come.

BAM David, you said it ALL 110% well & glad media gets it, NOW!

Jan 16, 2016, 8:30 AM

Keep ROCKing TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2016, 8:37 AM

If the young defensive secondary talent rises up to fill the void created by the NFL, we'll make a run. The offense should be plenty strong enough to overcome an occaisional big play by the other team. If The kickers / punters work hard on leg strength and distance, we'll be dominant. If those things happen and we don't lose key players due to injuries, we should stay #1 all season long.

Jan 16, 2016, 8:48 AM

Sending this to my little brother in Ladson , who needs to understand what is going on .
He still thinks we were just " lucky " this year and last .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Could be the BEST offense ever per Watson. I can't wait!***

Jan 16, 2016, 9:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

there is no bigger Tiger fan than me and I may get blasted

Jan 16, 2016, 9:07 AM

for this but I am not of the mindset to put the cart before the horse. We are very talented and the outlook looks good but I don't look that far into the future about next years post season. There are a lot of factors that go into having a special season and that's why it's so hard to get to the title game. I hope that next years team has that drive and desire to excel and pass this on to the new guys, the players that hold each other accountable are imperative to success as well. Remember Dan Marinos feelings after his rookie year and playing in the Super Bowl (after losing) said that's ok, I'll be back plenty of times and one of the greatest QBs every never made it back. GO TIGERS!!

Watson seems very driven and will lead by example IMO.***

Jan 16, 2016, 9:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

absolutely NO question about DW....just using Marino as an

Jan 16, 2016, 9:33 AM

example

Re: absolutely NO question about DW....just using Marino as an

Jan 16, 2016, 9:37 AM

If Beyant steps up and gets the playing time next year as I expect he will we have at least two more years of this. Good times at Clemson

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bryant or Cooper may turn out to be excellent quarterbacks,

Jan 16, 2016, 10:29 AM

possibly as physically talented as Watson, but it will be a long time before we see another quarterback with the special leadership qualities of DW. In that respect, he is more akin to QBs with several years of NFL experience.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

once again.....the QB position was not intended to be the

Jan 16, 2016, 11:26 AM [ in reply to there is no bigger Tiger fan than me and I may get blasted ]

focus of the post.....player accountability in general and taking nothing for granted was.

Re: there is no bigger Tiger fan than me and I may get blasted

Jan 16, 2016, 1:34 PM [ in reply to there is no bigger Tiger fan than me and I may get blasted ]

I don't think (reasonable) folks are claiming anything is a given....but wedefinitely see no reason, given the team coming back along with new players, why we should not make it....if we get the lucky bounce s as well

Thanks, David and Nikki!!

Jan 16, 2016, 10:31 AM

You two are one more thing to be thankful for in the Clemson family! Your positive, yet balanced articles are always read with much interest.
I hope that neither of you are entertaining offers from elsewhere and that TigerNet is taking care of you.
God bless and keep writhing great articles like this one.

Woah there! We don't want to see David and Nikki

Jan 16, 2016, 10:48 AM

writhing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Staying Power: Yes. Playoffs again: ?

Jan 16, 2016, 10:43 AM

Our Tigers are built to contend for the long haul but far to many time we saw our special teams punt and kick off teams fail to cover properly. This has been a on going problem going back into the Bowden years. The team needs to add a new special teams coach that can provide a fresh outlook on punt and kickoff cover teams. If this problem is not fixed ASAP then the Tigers will be very lucky to go undefeated next year.

Bleeding Orange till the end of Days.

Re: Staying Power: Yes. Playoffs again: ?

Jan 16, 2016, 11:27 AM

I heard the entire runup to the game we were going to get beat on kickoff and punt returns. But with the exception of the one runback, I thought the coverage teams were excellent! This problem was not consistent in this game, but result of an individual breakdown on the outside, or so it seemed to me. I do not think we are as far away as this post makes it seem.

I know you're not saying we were one play away! lol

Jan 16, 2016, 11:29 AM

Tommy is that you? I kid I kid

Re: Staying Power: Yes. Playoffs again: ?

Jan 16, 2016, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Staying Power: Yes. Playoffs again: ? ]

There was a few times Bama started near midfield. Those extra yards make it easier to flip the field if nothing else. However I was looking at the season as a whole. They have been lacking in this area in past years as well. This year the Tigers dodged a few bullets that could have changed the outcome of a game. Like happened against Bama. I'm not sure if our luck can hold up for another season. One lost and the Tigers will not make the playoffs next year. Not with ESPN's love fest with all things SEC. Special team cover teams is the area the Tigers have room for a lot of improvement. This will help in our Tiger to take they game to an even greater level.

Special Teams

Jan 17, 2016, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Staying Power: Yes. Playoffs again: ? ]

I read and article a while back. Where very successful H.S. coach, that had won several state titles. Had a philosophy that every time they kicked off, it was an on-sides kick. His theory was to try to create as many possessions as possible, and if unsuccessful then defend an fifty yard field with no chance of a return.

Jan 16, 2016, 11:24 AM

We are right at the top, but until the special teams issue is fixed, we are vulnerable. I agree with the earlier post that now is the time to find a Special Teams Coach to take our special teams up to the next level. Could be a bit hard to do with some special team members playing other positions, but it needs to be addressed. With the speed that we have, no reason to fair catch as much as we have. Return game could be really big plus. GO TIGERS!!!

there are THRE facets to the game....offense, defense and

Jan 16, 2016, 11:31 AM

special team.....any or all can cause you to lose a game.

Especially with that N.C. Shrine bowl kick returner coming

Jan 16, 2016, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Staying Power ]

in - he was spectacular!

Re: Especially with that N.C. Shrine bowl kick returner coming

Jan 16, 2016, 12:15 PM

There is already talent on the field to have a great special teams unit(s). We need the desire to do better. Being ranked 126th in coverage is inexcusable for a team with that much talent. That's coaching and players executing their plays. Consider that all these kids we have now were just like the ones that are coming.. spectacular talents. We have to execute.

Good story David. I really think we will make it back

Jan 16, 2016, 12:15 PM

Next season. I believe we have enough coming back and new players coming in to make another run. Yes some things have to go our way but i believe the loss in national championship left a sour taste with these players and i believe them when they say they want to go back to finish the deal. Next year's slogan should be "unfinished business"

Jan 16, 2016, 12:33 PM

Special Teams suggestion. Frank Beamer just retired. Maybe he would be willing to consult?! In any case, a study/implementation of the elements which produced "Beamer Ball," or the like, seems in order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2016, 12:39 PM

Love the story. What stands out most to me is this statement: "The truth is this, however – Clemson might not make the playoff or the national title game next season. It’s hard to have that special kind of season and run the table and get the breaks to go your way."

We definitely had some things go our way this season. That is true of every team that makes the playoff. This year's team also overcame the adversity it faced along the way. It is by no means impossible for us to make it back to the playoff next season, but if we do, it definitely won't be easy, and we definitely would have defied the odds in my view.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

I think it's yet TBD as to the incremental effect of Watson.

Jan 16, 2016, 12:48 PM

No doubt he was the best player on the field the other night, and he raised the level of play for everyone on the team.

Quite frankly, Sammy and CJ both had the same kind of effect...

not really being able to determine the level of the team around them because they were so special and gifted in and of themselves.

Clemson may in fact be on the cusp of elite, but one game and one player is not the threshold for "elite", and

so it will be interesting, and maybe more germane to "elite program status", to see what we can do AFTER Watson departs.

Does the staff find another gifted player or do we slide back some a la FSU this year?

Jan 16, 2016, 12:55 PM

These are the five best seasons ever since I became a fan. I had to endure losing seasons, so I couldn't complain.

Jan 16, 2016, 1:15 PM

Think about this ,. How many times you think Dabo had to hear it during the 5 year slide ,.,

But he Fixed it ,., After the OB he fixed the Defense ,..,

How many times you think he has Heard about Special Teams and times he has watched the game ,.,

I bet my net worth you see a different kicking game come September .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

O believe me, fair catching is a non issue

Jan 16, 2016, 2:37 PM

You want to fair catch, and put the ball in the hands of the best offensive playmaker on the team. The shortfall has been with the coverage unit. That's where the big plays have been given up. But Dabo knows it and they will shore it up.

#ALLIN

Maybe Pearman could be happy so where else

Jan 16, 2016, 2:38 PM

or just coaching the TE's at Clemson!

I'm glad you mentioned Special Teams, David.

Jan 16, 2016, 11:34 PM

Special Teams is a GLARING weakness that needs to be addressed. To lose a game because of special teams, with our teams' athleticism, is quite frankly absurd.

Until we bring in some fresh perspective on special teams

Jan 17, 2016, 1:12 PM

We are gonna keep seeing more of the same. Our kick coverage has been HORRIBLE. Not just this season either. It goes back to the Bowden days. There's no excuse for a team with the athletes we have to give up as many long returns as we did this season. Not just the TD returns either. How many times did an opponent start near midfield due to poor kick coverage? It's well past time to bring in a ST coach/cord and get it fixed.

Jan 17, 2016, 7:57 PM

And THAT my friends, is why I'm ecstatic to be retired and moving back to God's country.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic