Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Clemson linebacker tears ACL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Clemson linebacker tears ACL

Sep 21, 2013, 9:50 PM

Clemson linebacker tears ACL

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Clemson linebacker tears ACL

Sep 21, 2013, 9:52 PM

I wonder if he will get another year due to medical? I know it is a long shot w the transfer but sometimes you see it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGH! This guy can't catch a break! Maybe there's a blessing

Sep 21, 2013, 10:02 PM

in disguise here...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, that sucks. He seemed like a good kid.

Sep 22, 2013, 1:53 AM

Hard working and motivated. Hope his recovery goes smoothly.

Re: Football Player Update: Clemson linebacker tears ACL

Sep 22, 2013, 9:29 AM

I think the medical redshirt deal comes down to snaps played at least I seem to remember that Tony Steward had like 7 too many snaps last year.

Hopefully Kellen is under that number.. from all I have heard he is an extremely hard worker.

This might actually be a good thing in the long run...

Sep 22, 2013, 10:22 AM

he was 3rd on the depth chart, but has a lot of talent. This might allow him to see the field for the next couple of years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Re: This might actually be a good thing in the long run...

Sep 22, 2013, 11:14 AM

He will not get a medical redshirt. Those are for people that have not taken a redshirt year he has. He will be a junior next year and never get the games back he lost. Sucks but its the way it works.

there are players that have taken a redshirt year

Sep 22, 2013, 11:20 AM

then later received a medical redshirt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To receive a sixth year, both redshirt years must

Sep 22, 2013, 1:12 PM

be medically necessary. Can't transfer and get a sixth year, they just won't do it. A few cases this year have already caused an uproar, but the NCAA usually doesn't waiver on it.

it's not a rule that i'm aware of unless it's changed.

Sep 22, 2013, 1:21 PM

nothing is guaranteed, but i believe he's eligible to apply. case keenum is the example i've always seen used; don't know what was different[rs is an rs].

it'll be interesting in a couple years when the academic redshirts kick in as well.

i don't see the issue, but the ncaa is the ncaa. at least they granted rodriguez waiver, then turned around and declared the guy this year ineligible because of a all-service 'intramural' league, which from my seat, didn't seem to make much sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the rule has always been to get a second medical

Sep 22, 2013, 2:17 PM

red shirt the first red shirt year had to be medical also

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

case keenum redshirted his freshman & was then granted

Sep 22, 2013, 2:38 PM

a medical years later to receive a "6th year".

i have no idea where you find the rule you suggest. the ncaa bylaw is 14.2.4 for hardship waiver, which is what is 'commonly' referred to as a medical redshirt.

he was injured his freshman year and that's why he

Sep 22, 2013, 2:51 PM

red shirted. If you could get an additional red shirt every time you were injured it would happen all the time. It is rare that the initial red shirt was medically related, but if it is, it is possible to get another year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i never said it would happen all the time, i said it had

Sep 22, 2013, 3:20 PM

happened. apparently there is no rule or someone would have provided one? if there is a rule, all i asked is to see it which would be kewl & helpful.

the waiver is a request. from reading the waiver it appears he may qualify. doesn't mean the ncaa has to grant it, but it doesn't seem there is any rule[prior rs] outside the guidelines for submission provided by the bylaw.

one of the posters talked about some that have been denied recently and the uproar that ensued; i agree, the ncaa doesn't make much sense at times.

tony steward's was submitted, but turned away because he was over the %. i don't believe jones is, but we'll see. it's a bit weird now with championship games i think included.

I hate to see motived and patient guys like him draw

Sep 22, 2013, 2:22 PM

bad hands. If eligible, how long does it take for a decision for med red shirt? Is there some lengthy submissions process or is it just ask, qualify, and receive?

he can't get a medical redshirt

Sep 22, 2013, 2:36 PM

his first redshirt was not medical or beyond his control, so he is not eligible for a second red shirt year

I read this link as he is eligible but cannot extend

Sep 22, 2013, 2:54 PM

his playing window beyond 5 years because his first redshirt period was voluntary (simply because he chose to change schools rather than stay, I assume). But in the third paragraph I don't see any medical redshirt limitation based on a previous redshirt seasons. Of course, there is still a question of how much playing time he had this season (requirement C).

Copy/paste:
"The medical hardship waiver can be requested to the appropriate conference or to the NCAA if the institution is an independent. The following situation must be met per NCAA rules: a) the incapacitating injury or illness occurs either during the senior year of high school or during one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition, b) the injury or illness occurs prior to the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA Championship in that sport, and c) the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or 20% of the scheduled contests (whichever is greater)."

http://www.collegeathletictrainer.org/newsletter/article.php?article=2

keep reading it's in there

Sep 22, 2013, 2:58 PM

"A similar request is to waive the five-year period of eligibility and extend a sixth year. This requires two out of five years of circumstances beyond the control of the student-athlete. An incapacitating medical circumstance would be one example of a qualifying condition. A voluntary redshirt year would not."

Right. I mentioned he will not be eligible for additional

Sep 22, 2013, 3:02 PM

playing years/seasons. But he will still be eligible for 5 years total. Is he a 5th year player already?? I'm pretty sure he is a RS Soph. I think if he gets medical RS this year, he will only have two more eligible seasons. He gets year 5 for voluntary RS. No?

Re: I read this link as he is eligible but cannot extend

Sep 22, 2013, 3:02 PM [ in reply to I read this link as he is eligible but cannot extend ]

2 c$$ts have been granted 6 years over the last about 7 years.. so, it can be extended to those in the SEC.. why not ACC????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dunno. I am just a spectator reading the words at

Sep 22, 2013, 3:12 PM

face value. The only way to extend to 6 per that doctor's write-up is for 2 years of ineligibility to be involuntary and out of the player's control - e.g. medical.

2 Words for this, BEN BOULWARE***

Sep 22, 2013, 3:15 PM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic