Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LSU Bowl Game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,198

LSU Bowl Game

Dec 5, 2012, 6:40 PM

I am interested to see what you guys think is going to be the key to the game against LSU? I think if we can get Sammy and Nuk in the game plan alot early it will open up the lane for Ellington & Mcdowell. I think Ellington plays a great game being his last one. As far as our defense goes. I think they will be way better than everyone is giving credit. We will have a few CBs back which will help out and LSU is not lights out on Offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LSU Bowl Game

Dec 5, 2012, 6:44 PM

good DL play and esp pass rush would help the secondary. without pressure we blitz and leave secondary more exposed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2012, 6:45 PM

I agree with that. I would like to see Vic Beasley in there DE position more. Guy seems to make a play. I know some have said he is a bit undersized but I still think he is a good pass rusher.

Dec 5, 2012, 6:52 PM

Score baby,Score!!!!!Go Tigers.

Dec 5, 2012, 6:56 PM

Prayers. Lots of prayers.

Dec 5, 2012, 7:00 PM

"Prayers. Lots of prayers."

This.

Dec 5, 2012, 7:08 PM

I think you guys are buying into the "SEC hype". Townsen almost beat LSU. They are very beatable. They have several weaknesses also especially on Offense. I think if we hang onto the ball and dont throw INT or Fumble we will be in great shape. Townsen is NOT better than Clemson and does NOT have the skill players on offense that we do. We are very capable of winning. The lines are the only thing that im a bit worried about. They have to hold up and give Tajh time.

Dec 5, 2012, 7:24 PM

First of all, it is Towson. And secondly, they didn't "almost" beat LSU. LSU won by 16.

And third, the LSU team that played Towson was a completely different team from the one that played Alabama.

LSU's quarterback was still finding himself in the offense. He played terrible in that game. The whole team played terrible in that game.

This LSU team is like a tale of two halves. The first half of the season, they were winning on talent alone... mostly on the defensive side of the ball. They were struggling mightily, but still winning due to sheer will. They beat teams like Texas A&M and South Carolina even while not playing even close to their potential. They were just sloppy.

But they found themselves during the Alabama game. And they have been a different team on offense since. The offense has really picked it up. The light went on for Mettenberger. The receivers are catching balls. But then the defense started struggling a little bit... probably from having to carry the team for most of the season. They were wearing down.

But with a month to prepare, the defense will be rested, and the offense has found it's groove.

The difference between LSU in the Towson game and how they will play in the Clemson game will be night and day.

If you have any fantasies of LSU playing how they played during the first few games of the season, you are going to be very surprised.

Dec 5, 2012, 7:35 PM

One more point....

LSU had several injuries to their offensive line and defense.

It took a while for them to get the right offensive line, and for the freshman who were playing 2nd string to get settled in.

Those players have had nearly a full season of work now, and they are much improved, and the team as a whole has improved from when they first stepped in at the beginning of the season to fill the roles of the missing starters.

their pass defense hasn't been great lately, though

Dec 5, 2012, 7:36 PM

Clemson doesn't need LSU to play like they did at the beginning of the season, they need LSU to play like they have been recently. In fact, looking at the scores, Clemson doesn't want the LSU team that played at the beginning of the year.

As for their offense, I see that Arky outgained them by 160 yards with LSU only gaining about 300. Less than 100 of that was on the ground. You made it just over 400 yards against Ole Miss, but Mettengberger had 2 int's and no TDs.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: their pass defense hasn't been great lately, though

Dec 5, 2012, 7:52 PM

I'd be willing to bet LSU's defense was a little banged up and the end of the season, and lacked the same motivation they had against Alabama when they played Ole Miss and Arkansas.

Ole Miss and Arkansas are 2 of LSU's biggest rivals, so it was the Super Bowl to them, while LSU was coming to the realization that they weren't going to be playing for the national championship after a crushing last-minute defeat to Bama.

For the bowl game, the defense will be well rested and motivated. Same for the offense. The passing game has come alive, and the O-line has found it's groove and has been giving good pass protection, and the running backs will be well-rested and ready.

either way, the defense hasn't quite been stellar lately

Dec 5, 2012, 8:05 PM

And while your passing offense has "come alive," the numbers still aren't huge. What's more, some bad to mediocre defenses have held you under 100 yards rushing. Now, just about everybody has been able to pass on Clemson, but Clemson's rush defense has been pretty good lately. If Clemson can pass on LSU like the last three teams they've played, and if LSU can't run the ball, Clemson's going to win the game.

LSU has been a very good team this year, and maybe their offense has gotten better lately as you say. However, just as they survived by the skin of their teeth against Auburn and South Carolina at the beginning of the year, they also barely squeaked by against Ole Miss and Arkansas. Yes, LSU won the games, but the evidence of them being much better than they were at any point in the season just isn't there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: either way, the defense hasn't quite been stellar lately

Dec 5, 2012, 8:55 PM

camcgee you said it. Im not seeing what everyone is so scared about. I havent seen a stellar LSU team this year. They were barely winning at the start of year over Mediocre teams and still at the end of the year.

Re: their pass defense hasn't been great lately, though

Dec 5, 2012, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: their pass defense hasn't been great lately, though ]

It might have been like the super bowl for Arky and Ole
Miss but its going to be like that for Clemson also. Just loosing to USuC four years in a row. We have something to prove. We lost to the only 2 ranked teams we played this year. This team has something to prove and thats they can play with the big programs.

Dec 5, 2012, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: LSU Bowl Game ]

ok that could be true. But also our team has improved over the course of the season especially the defense. Granted our defense is not great by no means but they are getting better. I also think having Breeland back will help us greatly. Your making it sound like LSU will blow us out and that I just dont see happening. LSU QB might have gotten better but he is not even in the top 3 best we seen this season. Personally I think Thompson, Glennon, and Manual are all better than him in all aspects of the game. Our offense will be firing at full speed after being able to rest for a month. I think you will be very surprised with the outcome of the game. Do I think we blow LSU out. No not by no means but I think it will be a very close game and will come down to the 4th quarter.

Keith Adams shows up on Defense

Dec 5, 2012, 7:15 PM

otherwise, there is no hope.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

probably keeping our offense on the field, like usual

Dec 5, 2012, 7:35 PM

in games like these, everybody always focuses on the marquee matchups, but it usually comes down to the weaker squads matching up.

Re: probably keeping our offense on the field, like usual

Dec 5, 2012, 8:57 PM

thats true. Most are thinking how our offense will fair against there defense. I would like to see our defense come out and get some turnovers and wreck havoc. We need this win over LSU and to star of UGA to help Clemson as a program in that we can play with the elite teams and if we plan on sticking in the ACC to help the ACC perception.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,198
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic