Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fumble review question that is legit bothering me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Fumble review question that is legit bothering me

Dec 30, 2019, 10:17 PM

We are often told that if there is a questionable fumble on a play, the referees on field are supposed to rule it a fumble to let it play out (rather than blowing it dead and now it’s irreversible) and then go to review after the play to reconcile it.

The problem here is if you intentionally lean toward calling it a fumble (even if your gut says it’s probably incomplete pass/no fumble etc), you need to remove the “burden of proof” of it being obviously conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field (fumble), otherwise these plays will end up being called fumbles unnecessarily - as in, if the ref initially felt it wasn’t a fumble but called it one in order to review; then sees review and feels it more than likely isn’t a fumble (but not clearly indisputable) it will still be called a fumble due to these two “rules” coming together.

The simpler answer here is that in this review scenario, the review ref just makes what they feel is the correct call based on the tape - even if it’s likely correct but not “indisputable” - however I’ve never heard someone say this specifically

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fumble review question that is legit bothering me

Dec 30, 2019, 10:21 PM

I agree. Even though they deny it, I think they actually handle it the way you are suggesting.

the problem it leads to is everyone whining about the Ross play

Dec 30, 2019, 10:23 PM

“How can you overturn it” when the whole point is the on-field ref may have felt in real-time that it was incomplete, but called fumble for the sake of letting it play out to review. You really can’t use the “on-field call” as basis here

the problem it leads to is everyone whining about the Ross play

Dec 30, 2019, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Fumble review question that is legit bothering me ]

“How can you overturn it” when the whole point is the on-field ref may have felt in real-time that it was incomplete, but called fumble for the sake of letting it play out to review. You really can’t use the “on-field call” as basis here

I have a similar view... see link

Dec 30, 2019, 10:22 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/My-problem-with-replays-(long)-1966731?tstart=0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ha! Same opinion here my man. We need to send this

Dec 30, 2019, 10:27 PM

Question up the chain so official minds can answer! Bugs me that it is still unclear

Re: Fumble review question that is legit bothering me

Dec 30, 2019, 10:37 PM

They don’t have to rule it a fumble though to let the play go. They can just not blow the whistle and let the play go on, and then talk among themselves after and rule it incomplete if that’s what they think happened. That way the play can still be reviewed by replay. It’s only when they blow the play dead that it can no longer be reviewed if no clear recovery occurred prior to the whistle.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic