Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Barbara Lagoa, Cuban American
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Barbara Lagoa, Cuban American

Sep 21, 2020, 9:57 AM

from Florida is rumored to be tops on the list.

I am wondering how Liberals will try to shred her apart.

On January 9, 2019, she became the first Latina and the first Cuban American woman appointed to serve on the Florida Supreme Court. Prior to her appointment by Governor Ron DeSantis to the Florida Supreme Court, Governor Jeb Bush appointed her in June of 2006 to serve on the Third District Court of Appeal. At that court, she became the first Hispanic woman and the first Cuban American woman appointed to serve on the Third District Court of Appeal. On January 1, 2019, she became the first Hispanic female Chief Judge of the Third District Court of Appeal.

Prior to joining the bench, Justice Lagoa practiced in both the civil and criminal arenas. Her civil practice at Greenberg Traurig focused on general and complex commercial litigation, particularly the areas of employment discrimination, business torts, securities litigation, construction litigation, and insurance coverage disputes. In 2003, she joined the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida as an Assistant United States Attorney, where she worked in the Civil, Major Crimes and Appellate Sections. As an Assistant United States Attorney, she tried numerous criminal jury trials, including drug conspiracies and Hobbs Act violations. She also handled a significant number of appeals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Call her a Tia Tomasina?***

Sep 21, 2020, 10:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

subtle. classy. funny. 10/10***

Sep 21, 2020, 11:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the party of hate will figure out how to hate her***

Sep 21, 2020, 10:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who ever it is

Sep 21, 2020, 10:02 AM

Raped somebody
Called someone the N word
Beats dogs
Picks their nose

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AND I think this pick...

Sep 21, 2020, 10:07 AM

would be the dems worst nightmare.

I think they could make Amy Comey Barrett a divisive choice. Not so easy with Lagoa.

If we are just looking at the political angle of the choice, it's a win-win nomination.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AND I think this pick...

Sep 21, 2020, 10:11 AM

The problem is she's an X-factor...and Supreme Court appointments are, you know, for life.

Nobody knows what her policy positions are. Is she a strict-constructionist? Is she a culture warrior? Does she oppose Roe v. Wade? Is she even a Republican?

You do a shotgun wedding, surprises can happen.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe Trump should just nominate Merrick Garland.

Sep 21, 2020, 10:18 AM [ in reply to AND I think this pick... ]

That's probably the only way Democrats wouldn't oppose the nominee.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand the hypocrisy of all of this...

Sep 21, 2020, 10:29 AM

I think what most of us are missing is the gravity of selecting Garland in 2016 and the gravity of a Trump pick now.

It is about who they are replacing. Scalia was the conservative poster boy in the SCOTUS. Ginsberg is the liberal poster girl in the SCOTUS.

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh was an exchange of conservative for conservative. Garland may be a good exchange for Ginsberg but not for Scalia.

What the pubs should have done in 2016 was hold the vote on Garland since they had the advantage and not confirm him. Yes, that as well would have come across as political pettiness.

The difficulty we have is that there were elections in 2018 and Republicans actually picked up votes.

The process of selecting Justices is just as much about that as it is who is the POTUS.

It will be interesting in how this all plays out.

Re: I understand the hypocrisy of all of this...

Sep 21, 2020, 10:58 AM

The GOP picked up Senate seats in 2018 because of the map. It was way in their favor. It was similarly slanted some in the GOP's favor for 2020...but Trump has completely dragged down-ballot races down with him because the Senate in particular has stood by him so completely, so the Dems are actually favored to pick up seats in 2020 despite the map favoring the GOP.

2022 is a different story. It looks absolutely brutal for the GOP. There's 34 seats up for grabs - 22 of them held by Republicans, many of them vulnerable.

Some obvious ones that are vulnerable:

1. Marco Rubio, Florida (won by 7.7% in 2016)
2. Kelly Loeffler, Georgia (if she wins the special election this cycle, she gets to do it again in '22)
3. Todd Young, Indiana (won by 9.7% in 2016)
4. Roy Blunt, Missouri (won by just 2.8% in 2016)
5. Richard Burr, North Carolina (won by 5.7% in 2016)
6. Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania (won by just 1.5% in 2016)
7. Ron Johnson, Wisconsin (won by just 3.4% in 2016)

In contrast the only vulnerable Dem seats are Michael Blumenthal in Colorado (won by 5.7% in 2016), Catherine Cortez Masto in Nevada (2.7%), and Maggie Hassan in New Hampshire...who squeaked it out by fewer than 10K votes in 2016.

The Dems seem likely to pick up another 3-4 seats in 2022 alone just based purely on who's up for re-election and where, especially with demo shifts and a base that has been galvanized by Trump. (We'll see if they stay awake for '22, especially if Trump is gone.)

If the Dems do what the map says they'll likely do, will they have a mandate to pack the court then, in your opinion?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nobody has a mandate to pack the court***

Sep 21, 2020, 11:06 AM

Re: Barbara Lagoa, Cuban American

Sep 21, 2020, 11:10 AM

but has she read the constitution, just the lines in black, not the ones in between

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic