Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bye Bye Toyota Landcruiser.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 563

Bye Bye Toyota Landcruiser.

Aug 21, 2019, 10:16 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryancampbell/2019/08/20/toyota-is-killing-the-land-cruiser-in-2022-and-its-about-time/

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because they already turned the 4runner into one.***

Aug 21, 2019, 10:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo

Aug 22, 2019, 8:36 AM

This was my 4runner. Crying shame no one has the removable top anymore. Was AWESOME for cruising the strip in the Dirty Myrtle.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats seems like a very practical use for that

Aug 22, 2019, 9:11 AM

And at 50 years old, something i would do a lot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you could cruise the parking lot at the Geritol

Aug 22, 2019, 10:00 AM

convention and still pick up babes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

saw that. Actually makes sense.

Aug 21, 2019, 10:37 PM

As the articles about this imply, they should come out with a more spartan version of a beastly 4 wheel drive, like, um, say, the Land Cruisers they sell outside the US in rough parts of the world. Let it be the real deal all terrain vehicle, and quit trying to make it luxurious, when they aren't staying up wit other luxurious SUV's

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i checked out the Toyota Prada (Australia?) a while back...

Aug 22, 2019, 8:57 AM

version of the Lexus GX460 and sold under Toyota badge, but I think actually available in 'base' trims....cloth seats, no (or less) frills...

not sure that's the case anymore, quickly looking at the website...

https://www.toyota.com.au/prado

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woah, people actaully use their 4Runners for "trail riding"

Aug 22, 2019, 8:12 AM

I don't believe that for a second. Maybe 15 years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its still (supposedly) the most trail ready SUV off the line

Aug 22, 2019, 8:58 AM

...from what I read

prob won't see too many Limited's out there tho

I reckon that SR5 would be fine, but I'd

Aug 22, 2019, 9:02 AM

be real mad when I scratched it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh fer sure

Aug 22, 2019, 9:07 AM

I'm back to focusing solely on 4Runner as a new (to me) vehicle...and the extent of my off-roading will be mostly limited to jumping a curb while parking at Publix

part of me is even wondering if 4WD is necessary here...

You will need 4WD for that bro weekend camping

Aug 22, 2019, 9:23 AM

thing you do instead of coming to Vomitfest. I've not done any "trail riding" since I destroyed the muffler of my 1994 Lumina on some mountain around Cashiers.

I'm still aiming for a truck in a 2-3 years. What I want is the body and guts of a 86-87 K-10 with the dash of a 2019 Silverado.

the bro camping has only interfered w/ VomitFest once

Aug 22, 2019, 9:41 AM

technically, I went camping directly from the first VomitFest (you may not remember, you took a good shot to the head that day)...and then prohibited me from going the following year altogether.

That said, I DO like doing a lot of outdoors-y things, but it usually only entails me driving to a parking area, and hiking/skiing/biking from there...

I've never NOT had a 4WD though, and it's always nice to have for the occasional weather and winter drives to NJ and Tenn

further kangfirming our hair sweater brotherhood

Aug 22, 2019, 10:09 AM [ in reply to oh fer sure ]

I have a 4WD SR5 4Runner. Now I live in the midlands, so I'm not rock climbing in the blue ridge, but there ain't much around here that it don't handle with ease. Fields, woods, brush, logging roads, small streams, swamps, etc. Basically, as long as you don't drive into a field that's freshly disced three feet deep by a heavy duty tractor or into swamp mud deeper than the axles, a 4WD 4Runner with good all terrains/mud tires can handle anything you can dish out.

Plus it's that rare combo of good looking, leather seats, sunroof, and I'm still willing to scratch it up with tree limbs or throw a deer or hog carcass on the rear weathertech liner (or in a hitch basket when I don't want them in the cab). I'm might feel different with a 5th gen high dollar vehicle, but mine's 10-15 years old. Not to mention it can tow 5k pounds, which handles both my boats. It's a perfect fit for me.

this would be our 2nd 4Runner

Aug 22, 2019, 10:26 AM

had a '96 (still love that body style) that we put 311k miles on before selling it

still ran great....cosmetically, especially inside, that thing was more beat up than Hope Solo's love pocket

the best big off roaders are the vintage ones - Jeep Grand

Aug 22, 2019, 8:31 AM

Wagoneer, old Land Cruisers, old Land Rovers. But you'd better enjoy working on cars or paying others to do it for you, for all but the Toyotas.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ever havd a Jeep Grand Wagoneer?

Aug 22, 2019, 9:15 AM

It was REALLY good at three things: Using gas, dripping oil, and rusting. Pretty much anything other than those things were outside of it's wheel house. It rode like an old truck (because basically, it was an old truck), had the take off and power of a very cheap Kia (because 1500 hp only goes so far), and had trouble towing anything that weighed more than about 3K#. I had two of those things, and Hollywood did more for those things than Kaiser, AMC or Chrysler ever did.

No but know a guy who has one. Very rusty.***

Aug 22, 2019, 10:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bye Bye Toyota Landcruiser.

Aug 22, 2019, 9:50 AM

I am in the minority in this thread. I had a 4Runner and just didnt ever really like the car....at all. Only kept it for about 18 months.

The Land Cruiser was/is the pinnacle. Yukon/Tahoe are just not capable and the Land Cruiser gave you everything, off-road capability, reliability, stylish and smooth ride to boot.

Range Rover - not reliable at all, but capable
Land Rover - not reliable at all, but capable
Yukon - not capable, somewhat reliable
Tahoe - see above

Land Cruiser gives you it all, just dont be hater in that your salary doesnt allow you to enjoy the car.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had a 2000 LC.

Aug 22, 2019, 9:56 AM

It was okay, but not near as bullet proof as everyone says. After the rear A/C went out, I had to get the timing belt changed, and then the front CV joints started making a noise. That was all within 5K miles of 90K miles. That, and the leather on the seat started tearing up.

That one had the 4.7L v8 and a 4 speed transmission. On top of all the other stuff I mentioned, it got 13 mpg and was kinda slow, too. I sure as heck wouldn't spend $80K on another one.

I only have ONE complaint with my 4runner

Aug 22, 2019, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Bye Bye Toyota Landcruiser. ]

The 4th Gen (2003-2009 models) have RIDICULOUSLY bad vertical clearance for the driver's seat. In other words, when I sit in the driver's seat, my hair is touching the ceiling. If I hit a big bump, I hit my head on the ceiling. It's pretty awful, and the seat is adjusted all the way down. When I drive through rough terrain off road, I lay the seat back and kinda "hunch over" so I don't beat myself to death.

The common mechanical issues are- seizing brake calipers, eventually the engine valve cover gaskets and timing gasket will leak and need replacing, and if you aren't religious about using the 4WD (Hi and Lo), the actuators will stick or the transfer case will need replacing, and they're both very expensive repairs. Someone also told me that the rear window weather stripping will dry rot over time and eventually leak. I haven't had any of those issues except for the timing cover gasket, which is currently "sweating" but not leaking. I'll have to get it eventually. The dashes in a couple of the earlier years cracked in the sun, but there is a recall and they replace it for free.

All that sounds bad, but it's virtually flawless in comparison to the rest of the market, and if you keep the vehicle maintained properly, the engine and transmission are BULLETPROOF. It's probably the most reliable versatile vehicles the market has seen in the last 15 years.

I couldn't imagine taking a newer Land Cruiser off road

Aug 22, 2019, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Bye Bye Toyota Landcruiser. ]

I've got a 31 year old Pathfinder that I took off road once, and I'm still pissed off about the scratches I put on it during that little excursion. And it's worth maybe $1000.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BTW, although APM drives a Toyota, APM ain't sayin BUT

Aug 22, 2019, 10:54 AM

just sayin':

a good car is a good car

Aug 22, 2019, 10:58 AM

even (especially?) terrorists need a reliable ride

a bad ride is better than a proud walk any day ***

Aug 22, 2019, 11:00 AM

Replies: 24
| visibility 563
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic