Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball next year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Basketball next year

Mar 11, 2017, 1:13 PM

I'm on the record now that I believe a coaching change is needed. That said, I don't see it happening. So as with every year, being a huge hoops fan, I'll support the team 100% next season. I'll hope for a much better chemistry and continuity than we saw this year. That somehow we see major strides forward with some talented returning players and a good incoming crop of freshmen. I'm not going to actively root for failure.

I do think we see 1-2 transfers out of the program though I won't speculate on who. I do think we could use a grad transfer in up front.

And the one thing I really hope to see is some coaching adjustments to maximize our strengths and correct the glaring deficiencies, especially on the defensive end. We cannot succeed being as poor defensively as we were this season. Just to many fundamental breakdowns that never seemed to be addressed.

I think the fact we have the summer foreign trip scheduled for this year can be a huge positive for us as it was four years ago in KJ's last season

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

watching Championship Week, and seeing teams like

Mar 11, 2017, 1:19 PM

Alabama, VPI, Kansas St., Northwestern, and others (who I would compare Clemson bball too) playing for a shot at the NCAA tourney and being on the bubble (including how TCU performed under Dixon in his first year)

and its clear there is no excuse for not being in the discussion in a year when the ACC may get 10 teams in the NCAAT, and it's supposed to be BBs best team...

even Wake and GT played their way into the discussion with new HCs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't disagree, but what do you do?

Mar 11, 2017, 1:40 PM

I can't remember a more frustrating basketball season, but I refuse to root for failure. I don't think we're set up well to succeed as is, but he's getting another year, so I'll hope and pull for the team to surprise me. Nothing would make me happier even if I don't expect it

i don't understand another year

Mar 11, 2017, 1:48 PM

doesn't make any sense in any universe--

6 years w/o NCAAT, and this year when likely 10 get in, with his best team

I like BB, but I don't understand another year

Again, I agree

Mar 11, 2017, 1:52 PM

I can't think of one other ACC/SEC school where he'd still have a job. But since he does here, I'll pull for the team and hope I'm wrong

agreed-- never pull for failure

Mar 11, 2017, 2:19 PM

I'll support both BB and Clemson bball no matter what, and hope he gets us there next year. I think he's a good guy....

but I agree w/you in that I don't think he would have a job at any other ACC/SEC school

Re: agreed-- never pull for failure

Mar 11, 2017, 2:33 PM

Only at Clemson!

the blind leading the blind -

Mar 11, 2017, 5:08 PM [ in reply to watching Championship Week, and seeing teams like ]

exactly who said it would be

"BB's best team"

and exactly who believed them.

Stupidity is in fact a self-fulfilling prophesy.....

at some point, the "pundits" on TNET as well as in the media

have to simply wipe the egg off their face

and accept the fact that they sorely misjudged this team's ability

to integrate 3 new key players.

they also have to accept the fact that Brownell hasn't forgotten how to teach Defense -

no; there's just some teams that can't play it.

expectations that are "unfilled" are often just "unrealistic" in the first place.

Brad said it was his most talented team

Mar 11, 2017, 5:18 PM

and that the tourney was a realistic goal

you are an idiot

Mar 11, 2017, 5:47 PM [ in reply to the blind leading the blind - ]

BB said this was his most talented team- he said the NCAAT was the goal..

its clear you have never been part of an athletic program, either as a coach or a player... "teach defense"?? and "some teams just can't play it"?? how many coaches do you think that flies with?

Who recruited these guys who can't play defense?***

Mar 11, 2017, 5:49 PM

Who is the dude in your picture? I see others with that too****

Mar 11, 2017, 1:42 PM

Some dude that was known as the "Voice of the Tigers"

Mar 11, 2017, 1:44 PM

I called him dad ??

Sweet man! That is awesome. Now I know*****

Mar 11, 2017, 1:48 PM

Re: Some dude that was known as the "Voice of the Tigers"

Mar 11, 2017, 4:43 PM [ in reply to Some dude that was known as the "Voice of the Tigers" ]

Wow striperfan, never knew Jim Phillips was your dad. As a kid there was nothing like hearing him call a game, especially before most every game was on tv, he made you feel like you were at the game. Will always miss his Voice and remember Bob Fulton calling some of that CU v Furman game in 03'(?) as a tribute to JP.

I actually miss Yannity now that he is gone, has nothing on JP, but light years better than Dandy Don.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Some dude that was known as the "Voice of the Tigers"

Mar 11, 2017, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Some dude that was known as the "Voice of the Tigers" ]

Unrelated to the topic, but your father Jim Phillips is solely responsible for me being a Clemson fan, and ultimately a Clemson graduate. Growing up, our parents couldn't afford to drive us up Clemson to watch a game. Instead we sat in our bedroom and listened to Jim Phillips call the games. It was like we never missed a game, both in football and basketball. So on behalf of me and my family, thank you for your father providing so many special memories for us. God bless.

Re: Basketball next year

Mar 11, 2017, 2:06 PM

Coaching searches have become jokes. I too think a change is in order but it's not happening. I hope the extension is short and demands are in place for Brownell to meet or be fired. Having said that , I hope Brownell has a real sense of urgency to improve this program. Travel to other schools and learn their methods of success. The football staff does this all the time. He needs to demand improvement from every player on this team in a Sagan like way. Don't pamper them. Grantham needs tough love to break his funk. Make it clear to every player that if you dont get better, you are riding the bench. Brownell said a few years ago that we cant recruit the best players. That's giving up. You have to try harder by being more involved in the AAU leagues. Get your hands dirty if needed. Let's see how bad Brownell wants to save his job and win big.

Mar 11, 2017, 2:14 PM

I agree that we all hope the freshmen class can come in and be more than support role players. This is Brownells best class at Clemson. Can they mature quickly in the ACC? This team has to all costs get much better on defense.

Aye ! Agree !***

Mar 11, 2017, 4:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2017, 5:02 PM

Chris Holtmann - Butler - outstanding young coach with excellent assistants who grow players - 20 plus wins per season - beat Villanova twice this year - knows how and finishes games!!!!

And already has a much better job***

Mar 11, 2017, 5:19 PM

Maybe one of his assistant coaches*****

Mar 11, 2017, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Basketball next year ]

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic