Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
the Penn State versus Ohio State CFP dilemma - easy choice..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,281

the Penn State versus Ohio State CFP dilemma - easy choice..

Nov 23, 2016, 4:44 AM

1) PSU has absolutely no OOC wins of note. But Ohio State beat Top 10 ranked Oklahoma, who could also end up as the Big XII champ.

2) PSU would have to beat Wisconsin in the B1G Champ game for this to matter, but Ohio State already beat Wisconsin as well.

3) For this comparison to matter, Ohio State is going to have to beat Michigan - and Michigan hammered PSU 49-10.

4) PSU has a "bad loss" to Pitt that Ohio State does not have.

5) PSU and Ohio State both beat Maryland, Indiana, and Rutgers in-conference handily. But PSU barely escaped Minnesota by 3, while Ohio State hammered well-regarded (previously ranked) Nebraska 62-3.

6) The only thing that PSU has on Ohio State is the H2H - the B1G Champ game should not count extra as it is redundant to the H2H - in other words, the winner of the H2H got to go to the Champ game.

7) In that H2H game, Ohio State had total Game Control even as they lost, and they never trailed until the last 4 and a half minutes of the game. Actually for most of the game, Ohio State led by 2 scores, and led by 2 TD's going into the 4th quarter. PSU blocked two kicks that day, the latter one resulting in a 60-yard return TD with 4 minutes left that won the game. Ohio State outgained PSU 410 to 275, and held a 37 to 22 minute advantage in time of possession. PSU was all of 2 for 14 in 3rd and 4th down conversions. PSU went 8 of 23 in passing for all of 150 yards. PSU had 12 possessions in the game, and all of 12 non-penalty First Downs to show for it. A full 60% of their total yards came on 2 scoring drives (74, 90). With the exception of the two blocked kicks, it was barely a game.

But probably most importantly, the game was at PSU, not Ohio State. And PSU only won by less than the 3.5 point margin attributed to home field advantage, a distinction that odds-makers and the committee will take note of.

In short, if it comes down to 2-loss, B1G Champ PSU versus 1-loss Ohio State, the committee has no option but to apply the eye-test on this one and put Ohio State in over PSU. And it's not even close.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is easy, it's all about championships. They matter

Nov 23, 2016, 6:08 AM

More than anything else!

epibuckeye***

Nov 23, 2016, 7:23 AM

just another dumbarse comment from Randall

Nov 23, 2016, 9:40 AM

cause actually I can't stand the Ohio State University.

They and the rest of the B1G have been an OOC scheduling fraud for many years running, and given Pitt's win over PSU, I'm not at all sure that isn't the case again this year.

Re: just another dumbarse comment from Randall

Nov 23, 2016, 9:59 AM

We Are... going to the CFB. People hate on our schedule but we've generally demolished our competition, including good Iowa, Minnesota and Temple teams. We own the best win in the country over OSU.

And we'll pump the resume once OSU beats scUM and we beat Wisky for the Big Ten title.

Re: the Penn State versus Ohio State CFP dilemma - easy choice..

Nov 23, 2016, 7:48 AM

Disagree if PSU wins the B1G. So let's assume PSU wins the Conference championship.

Penn State and Ohio State play in the same division, right? Who won that Division?
Penn State and Ohio State play in the same conference, right? Who won the conference?
Penn State and Ohio State played each other, right? Who won that game.

So in this scenario, you're saying that the team who won the division, conference, and head-to-head gets left out over the team that didn't win the division or conference, and beat head-to-head?

Or Michigan somehow wins Saturday and it's all a moo point.

actually, this sort of logic is where I think the Committee

Nov 23, 2016, 9:17 AM

will step away from previous suggested ways of thinking.

You see, in looking at purely "differences" between the two teams, the H2H, Division, and the Conference all come down to H2H - it was all effectively decided between the two in that one game. This was almost the same for Clemson versus Louisville - the H2H also decided who would win the Division because neither team lost any other conference games. In our case we'll likely get an additional opponent in Virginia Tech in the CG that Louisville ultimately didn't play. That helps SOS, but it's a difference that really only comes about because of the H2H.

In the case of OSU and PSU, the Nittany Lion's H2H win allows them to play Wisconsin in the CG, a team OSU already beat. The awarding of a trophy for beating Wisconsin doesn't make PSU's win over Wisky a "better win" than what OSU has, it only denotes that the win came in a game at a neutral site. And the only reason it was PSU beating Wisky there instead of OSU was the H2H.

Separately counting the CG, the Division, and the H2H is therefore redundant. It's like counting the H2H 3 times instead of only once. I think the Committee will note that, and therefore discount the Div and the CG to the point of ignoring them.

I think they'll also discount the H2H because it was AT PSU, and because PSU only won by not having to play the game at a neutral field.

Then because PSU lost an extra game versus OSU, I think the Committee will select Ohio State over PSU easily.

JMHO.

I hate the "unbalanced" conference schedule

Nov 23, 2016, 8:05 AM

Ohio St. and Penn St. may very well tie for the Big East division championship; however, they did not play the same conference schedule.

Ohio St. went 8-1 against this group:

#3 Michigan
#6 Wisconsin
#7 Penn St
#16 Nebraska
Indiana
Maryland
Mich. St.
Rutgers
Northwestern

Penn St. went 8-1 against this group:

#2 Ohio St.
#3 Michigan
Iowa
Indiana
Maryland
Mich. St.
Rutgers
Minnesota
Purdue

Why is Maryland playing so many Big Ten games? -- NM***

Nov 23, 2016, 8:09 AM

weird......***

Nov 23, 2016, 8:11 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Maryland playing so many Big Ten games? -- NM***

Nov 23, 2016, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Why is Maryland playing so many Big Ten games? -- NM*** ]

^^^^Uh - the venues are bigger and the money is greater? Just a guess.

Or the real answer: We kept making fun of their unis and helmets.

I won't feel sorry for any team with 2 losses that doesn't

Nov 23, 2016, 9:31 AM

make the CFP.

I won't feel sorry for any conference runner-up that doesn't make the CFP.

You should have to win games and win conference championships in order to be assured a spot in the CFP.

Re: the Penn State versus Ohio State CFP dilemma - easy choice..

Nov 23, 2016, 11:50 AM

Trust me - and as a Pennsylvania resident - Penn State may be the most over-rated college football team in the nation!!!!

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,281
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic