Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just pulled the trigger on one of these puppies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Just pulled the trigger on one of these puppies

Jul 15, 2015, 4:54 PM

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E70-C3-70-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00SMBG0S0/ref=sr_1_2?&s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1436993236&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:1232883011&pebp=1436993235802&perid=14FBRGHH9P9A73NV1CV5

Since I have an audio receiver, surround speakers, and a PS3, and a Harmony universal remote, most of the bad reviews did not apply to my setup. HUGE upgrade from my 10 year old 55-inch DLP. And this cost half as much as that behemoth, which is so dim now it's hardly watchable except in the dark.

BTW...Amazon has some good deals today. They made Wal-Mart drop the price $100 on this TV in the store.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FYI, you could have gotten 2 X 50" (100" total) for just

Jul 15, 2015, 4:55 PM

$1056

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Size isn't everything

Jul 15, 2015, 4:58 PM

when you can have two. McLovin knows.

ROH

I like that they tell you that you save $1.99

Jul 15, 2015, 6:46 PM [ in reply to FYI, you could have gotten 2 X 50" (100" total) for just ]

on a $500 TV.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E70-C3-70-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00SMBG0S0/ref=sr_1_2?&s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1436993236&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:1232883011&pebp=1436993235802&perid=14FBRGHH9P9A73NV1CV5

Go Amazon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIL that Tiggity has too much pesky money laying around

Jul 15, 2015, 4:57 PM

wowsers

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. Sugar momma bought the rest of the stuff

Jul 15, 2015, 5:00 PM

PS3, surround system, receiver, remote. I came out MUCH better IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice TV.

Jul 15, 2015, 4:59 PM

If my 55" would die, I'm going 70" next time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disappointed. Opened thread and expected

Jul 15, 2015, 5:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had the 2013 version, which developed a slight screen burn

Jul 15, 2015, 6:08 PM

at the end of last year. Still under warranty, so Vizio sent me a factory recertified one--that lasted a month before the LEDs burned out. So they said they were going to send me the one you just ordered, brand new. Which was a sweet deal, until I noticed the legs on the outside of it rather than the center stand--wont work with my configuration. So I got a refund, and ordered the 2014 model from Costco. It's a good set, you'll dig it. aero has watched some foosball on it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm waiting on this:

Jul 15, 2015, 6:20 PM

http://www.vizio.com/r-series

I'm not sure 4K is all it's built up to be

Jul 15, 2015, 6:53 PM

It's kind of like audio speakers and systems in the past, and CD's also. They were so interested on capturing perfect audio, they failed to tell people and music labels that much of what they were recording and speakers and systems were playing, were beyond the capacity of the human ear to hear. Speakers today are smaller and use less power than before because of this fact.

I find it odd that 4K has come first to TV sets and not to computer monitors. See, at anything more than 5-6 feet, the benefits of 4K resolution are lost to the human eye. The closer you are to the TV, the better the improvement. But if you get a 4K HDTV and sit 10 feet away, the screen size would have to be something over 100 inches for your eyes to discern the difference. Here is a chart:

Now for a computer monitor, or a big TV in a very small room, the difference is far more noticable. But computer monitors have been slow to adopt 4K for whatever reason, where they would provide the best improvement as you sit only 2 feet from a PC monitor.

I've already got a 4k Monitor.

Jul 15, 2015, 6:59 PM

Plan is to get a 120" 4k TV for the media room.

120 inches would work for a 10 foot

Jul 15, 2015, 8:45 PM

viewing distance and make a 4K TV worth it...if a second mortgage is worth it I guess.

Re: I'm not sure 4K is all it's built up to be

Jul 15, 2015, 7:00 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure 4K is all it's built up to be ]

Intradasting. I had known there was very little different in 720 and 1080, but pretty good to know.

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

It has diminishing returns, like SPF numbers on sunscreen

Jul 15, 2015, 9:16 PM

The difference between SPF 6 and SPF 8 is far greater than between SPF 30 and SPF 80. The difference between 460 and 720 is huge. 720 and 1080 less but still noticeable. And 1080 to 4K even less.

Your eyes can only discern so much detail on a certain sized screen at a certain distance. Your ears can only hear certain wavelengths of sound. That's what the MP3 compression algorithm does and it revolutionized music. When you "rip" pure audio from a CD, you get a file with a lot of up and down lines (frequencies) that spike. The vast majority of the range of those spikes in the frequencies are out of the range of the human ear. So when you create a MP3 from a .wav or raw CD audio file, the file size drops significantly, as more and more audio out of hearing range is clipped. Around 160Kbps is the maximum bit rate of audio that the human ear can discern. Even at 128Kbps, you get very minor distortion. So most audio files from iTunes, etc. are encoded around 160Kbps to 200Kbps or so (about 6mb or so for most songs). The raw studio CD quality audio file woudl be 60MB or larger, so 80-90% can be cut out with absolutely zero distortion that is noticeable. There is no need for anything larger. The same applies to the frequency range of the speakers that play the music.

4K might hold more potential in the future if TV screens get huge, like wall-sized. But for today's TV's, up to 65-70 inches, the benefits in an average sized room viewing from 10 feet away, is not noticeable. Interesting thing, I looked at Best Buy at 4K HDTV's. They had a large one (65 inches or so) sitting right next to a similar sized 1080P HDTV and standing 2-3 feet away you could see the difference. BUT, as I stepped back, I ran into a display, keeping me from backing up more than 5 feet. I told the sales guy I see what they did there and winked. He knew exactly what I was doing and knew I knew exactly why they did what they did putting a large display to keep you from backing up more than 5 feet or so. And all the other 4K demos, you will see they want you to sit or stand close to the screen to see the difference. 10 feet away, in your Lazy Boy recliner, in your home, you will be disappointed.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Re: It has diminishing returns, like SPF numbers on sunscreen

Jul 15, 2015, 10:10 PM

And yet I still download the AAC files when I can for some reason :( It's like a strange illness where I want the "source file" just like with a high res photo, uncut video, src packages, etc.

The 4K does make more sense for a computer monitor like you said in your earlier post. I'm gonna have to test it out there first since the resolution obviously works more in your advantage when you're dealing with "space" and not just "picture quality." I reckon they'll come down in price pretty steeply over the next few years too.

Jul 15, 2015, 10:42 PM

if you like your fonts unreadable, go with 4k.

2550x1440 is pretty much the sweet spot for a 30 inch imo.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2015, 10:50 PM

Sexy kerning is sexy. Definitely on my list here soon.

Jul 15, 2015, 11:32 PM

may I suggest....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=963179&gclid=COCYmL_b3sYCFVYTHwodULwDFA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

best monitor I have ever used.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that tells me

Jul 15, 2015, 10:07 PM [ in reply to I'm not sure 4K is all it's built up to be ]

that if you view your tv from > 10 feet, it doesn't matter what you buy.

and 45 - 50 inches screen size is the tipping point.

good info.

thanks.

BUT, you can tell all your friends it is a 4K TV and they

Jul 16, 2015, 8:05 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure 4K is all it's built up to be ]

can google the prices and be all "Dayummmm, Monica must be slangin rocks on the side to afford that TV."

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would be the friend that would say

Jul 16, 2015, 11:37 AM

"Dayummmmmm u stoopid yo! U gotz hozed at da stow. Wy u be wassin' mu-nee lik dat?"

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic