Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Attrition...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 3,631

Attrition...

Feb 3, 2015, 1:57 PM

With all the focus of late on our stellar recruiting class (and lack thereof for the chickens), I wanted to touch on a subject that never gets brought up until it actually happens....

Transfers, disciplinary issues, and recruits not panning out as projected

These issues aren't discussed without an instance of it actually happening (rightfully so), but I still can't help but wonder if any of our highly-rated 2015 prospects transfer or don't pan out

We are currently set to ink our best recruiting class since 2011. The 2011 class included 7 prospects in the ESPN 150, two 5-star recruits, and a host of other highly coveted players. But only a handful of the top guys actually lived up to their billing....

Tony Steward and Charone Peake, our top 2 signings, have been hampered by injuries their entire careers at Clemson. It was great to see Tony come through with a great year this year, and I think we will see the same out of Peake next year as well. Three of our other top 150 signings - Mike Bellamy, Spencer Region, and Lateek Townsend speak for themselves. Cortez Davis was another that was just outside the top 150 rankings. That leaves just Stephone Anthony and Sammy Watkins as the only true "career-long" impact recruits from the top of that class. Obviously, there were sleepers like Isaiah Battle and Grady Jarrett, but I am focusing on the "blue chip" recruits as dubbed by the "experts."

In 2012, I would say that Travis Blanks was our top recruit, but Chad Kelly was certainly the cornerstone of the class. Blanks has been good when healthy, and I am hoping he gets back to his freshman form soon. We all know what happened with Kelly, and Patrick DeStefano was another top 150 guy that is no longer with us.

We haven't seen much turnover from the 2013 class, but the same can't be said for 2014. 3 of our top 8 signings are already gone (Oglesby, Kitt, Preister) for better or for worse.

I can't help but wonder if any of these guys will end up like a Cortez Davis/Lateek Townsend and not pan out or a Bellamy and be their own wort enemy. My gut says no, because these are all kids of high character than know what it takes to be "All-In."

Offseason suspensions, however, can come at any time to anybody. A couple years back, it was Sammy. Last year, it was the 4 starters out against UGA. While we ended up beating Auburn, Sammy certainly would have helped. I also think the UGA game might have gone differently with those 4 in the lineup.

I hope our guys stay focused and out of trouble this offseason, but if not, we at lease have the $EC luxury of cupcakes our first 2 games to occupy suspension time

Thoughts? Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Attrition...

Feb 3, 2015, 2:30 PM

Thank you Debbie... :)

Everyone suffers attrition. I agree with the vast majority of your assessment. We have had some really disappointing results from some of our most highly rated recruits. The most disappointing to me are always the disciplinary issues. Particularly, Bellamy, Kelly, and Priester were all guys I was very excited to see develop. I really hate it for Destefano, Steward, Peake and any others whose production was significantly hampered or in the worst cases, their careers ended as a result of injury. It is sad to see really good kids go through these types of things. We would all love the story to go the way it was envisioned. For Steward, Blanks, and Peake we would love to see them thrive on the field here and go on to productive NFL careers. Hopefully their struggles with injury have compelled them to take care of business in the classroom and build some networking relationships for life after football should that eventuality happen sooner than they hope.
Going forward, looking at this data we should prepare ourselves for much of the same. We will have misses, whether through injury, personal problems, or disciplinary issues. I hate to think of any of these guys having their hopes for the future dashed. So thanks for pissing in my midday cornflakes:)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2015, 2:32 PM

Also, we are recruiting at a level now (classes full of highly rated players instead of just 2-4 headliners) that we can more easily endure this type of attrition.

TL:@Confessed_Coot DR

Feb 3, 2015, 2:39 PM

Well stated; Confessed_Coot didn't make it past your first sentence & he is now @Depressed_Coot.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TL:@Confessed_Coot DR

Feb 3, 2015, 2:42 PM

In his defense, ConfessedCoot seems to be a great guy. We should start a prayer chain and maybe get together some depression hotline information to have on hand for him and any other coots we think worth throwing life preservers to.

Re: TL:@Confessed_Coot DR

Feb 3, 2015, 2:44 PM

well written post!

You must be joking; all he has to do is

Feb 3, 2015, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: TL:@Confessed_Coot DR ]

go to the women's basketball page & get high on that.

But then he comes back down again when he realizes that the TigerNet reach around gang could beat those chicks 3 on 5 w/ a drunk dsp calling the defensive assignments & bob playing with one arm tied to IBWQ's leg.

Re: You must be joking; all he has to do is

Feb 3, 2015, 2:56 PM

I wish I didn't immediately try to form mental pictures... That was too much

Hey Louie, do you have a list of people in that group?

Feb 3, 2015, 3:11 PM [ in reply to You must be joking; all he has to do is ]

Wood be helpful.

TIA in advance

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

thanks bob, since 3Ts dropped that ball...***

Feb 3, 2015, 3:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wha?! Bruv, I'm already out the band, man; you tryina get me

Feb 3, 2015, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Hey Louie, do you have a list of people in that group? ]

sent to Columbia??

Alls I can tell you is that @deroberts somewhere in the pancreas area.

Feb 3, 2015, 7:01 PM

The bottom line is that "we never know". What looks good on paper.....well, we know, may not always be good. Great post!! TU

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks, TU for you too!***

Feb 4, 2015, 10:39 PM

I think it evens out in the end

Feb 4, 2015, 10:44 PM

For every top recruit that does not pan out, there is a Grady Jarrett that surprises you. It goes both ways...

Feb 5, 2015, 12:29 AM

This is also an issue at ALL other school's programs so it mostly evens out over the long haul. That's why you go for the highest caliber players you can, both in skill/speed and character.

And, the Grady Jarrett's will almost always rise to occasion. I say let these issues work themselves out and let the high paid guys over in Jervey worry about it and sort it out. They seem highly capable of doing just that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 3,631
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic