Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So here's my unsolicited opinion on the GT shooting story......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

So here's my unsolicited opinion on the GT shooting story......

Sep 18, 2017, 3:23 PM

This kid was mentally ill, period. Instead of getting him the continued help he needed, his parents and those around him patted him on the back and told him he was perfect just the way he was and started referring to him as "them" and "they", thinking how progressive and accepting they were, and all the while the kid was going around miserable with a couple wires crossed.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do think that when you try to expand the bell curve to the point that any deviation from the norm is no longer considered a deviation, you're going to have people like this falling through the cracks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/17/us/georgia-tech-student-killed/index.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he/she was playing D&D in his/her spare time

Sep 18, 2017, 4:52 PM

the warning signs were evident

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: So here's my unsolicited opinion on the GT shooting story......

Sep 18, 2017, 5:12 PM

I like the way you mixed the word progressive in there and tried to pin this on political ideology. Clearly progressives are at fault here. And of course you did not make any of that up either.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You used progressive in a political sense, I didn't.

Sep 18, 2017, 5:46 PM

And yes, right there in the subject line I declared that what was to follow was "opinion".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You used progressive in a political sense, I didn't.

Sep 18, 2017, 5:56 PM

true, you did. And you did a good job of blaming psychotic behavior on the loose social constructs enjoyed by progressives. I am going to find out from my neighbors what to wear tomorrow so we can identify mentally deranged psychopaths wandering around with knives more easily.

I'm probably most closely aligned with libertarian ideology,

Sep 18, 2017, 6:00 PM

and there's a certain live and let live mindset that goes with that, so if Bubba wants to wear Muumuus and heels, I'm ok with that. With that mindset though, needs to come some common sense ability to identify when someone is struggling and not just exercising their individualism. It's intentionally obtuse to suggest that equals a desire for conformity.

Re: I'm probably most closely aligned with libertarian ideology,

Sep 18, 2017, 6:04 PM

I agree with you, and promise not to blame that on ideology. I'd rather just agree that it is a problem.

I mean, they, themself was very involved in progressive causes

Sep 19, 2017, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Re: So here's my unsolicited opinion on the GT shooting story...... ]

They even was getting involved in antifa. Parents didn't seem to offer any guidance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's some first class

Sep 18, 2017, 5:33 PM

mind-reading you're doing there. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's some first class

Sep 18, 2017, 5:40 PM

you are missing the point, conformity would allow us to more easily weed out the deviants in society and not confuse progressives with the mentally deranged. Had the Tech students been required to wear uniforms this never would have happened.

You sure do take a point, make it your own, and run with it.

Sep 18, 2017, 5:51 PM

So far you've made my apolitical opinion into a political one, a person I called mentally ill into a "deviant", and a desire to figure out where the line is drawn on normal behavior into a rally cry for conformity.

I'd accuse you of making straw man arguments but I think it's just a projection of how you truly believe people think who aren't in politically ideological lockstep with you.

Re: You sure do take a point, make it your own, and run with it.

Sep 18, 2017, 5:57 PM

straw man argument?!!?, you invented a group of imaginary people patting this GT guy on the back "while thinking how progressive and accepting they are." as the basis of you opinion.

Uhhh, invented it? They're all quoted right there in the

Sep 18, 2017, 6:01 PM

article and others as doing just that.

Re: Uhhh, invented it? They're all quoted right there in the

Sep 18, 2017, 6:09 PM

I only read the one you linked, and no. it did not say that, or quote people's thoughts

here's another......

Sep 18, 2017, 6:12 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/09/17/knife-wielding-campus-pride-leader-killed-by-police-at-georgia-tech/?utm_term=.f596ceabf989

OK

Sep 18, 2017, 6:18 PM

The kid struggled from mental illness, pretty much got that from part where he was wielding a knife in front of cops with no regard for his own life. It sounds to me that he had a breakdown and did the suicide by cop thing. It is really sad. Looking at his picture makes it harder to even continue the conversation.

oh, andagree with you in that he should not have been away from home engineering if he had that many problems to begin with.

*She***

Sep 18, 2017, 6:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*They***

Sep 18, 2017, 6:20 PM

It?

Sep 18, 2017, 6:21 PM

It's hard to keep up these days.

As a certified grammar nazi, I refuse to acknowledge any

Sep 18, 2017, 6:24 PM

pronoun that is grammatically incorrect. "They" and "Them" do not refer to singular individuals, period.

Re: *They***

Sep 18, 2017, 6:22 PM [ in reply to *They*** ]

rejecting his own gender identity could have had a lot to do with this, but conformity would have solved that though, right?

Because his unfettered ability to continue in confusion

Sep 18, 2017, 6:25 PM

worked so well.

Re: Because his unfettered ability to continue in confusion

Sep 18, 2017, 6:29 PM

more likely fear, confusion rarely leads to suicide.

ok you're just making shid up now.

Sep 18, 2017, 6:37 PM

Cheers, logging off, you and Jay have a good one.

Don't drop this asshattery on me, bro!

Sep 18, 2017, 6:40 PM

Lulz

Obama fostered most of this twisted mindset

Sep 18, 2017, 6:50 PM [ in reply to You sure do take a point, make it your own, and run with it. ]

promote that the norm was freak, then encouraged to rail against it.

Keep bringing it, Flower. There will always be one ready to bloody the nose of those, like you Flower, when you insist to change to your way of thinking.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Who asked you to contribute?

Sep 18, 2017, 10:23 PM [ in reply to That's some first class ]

You are NOT welcome to an opinion when it is wrong, you are welcome to change it to the correct one.

That opinion is the one of 'drop the weapon' as you have been explained at least THREE times by police protocol or otherwise suffer the consequences described to you THREE times.

As you rainbow worshippers are just dying for technology to come up with sex selector chip ( I feel like having bewbs today and a #### today, tomorrow I think I'll feel straight girl), so we can have more confused types like this wanting to go Ginsu on anything that moves in the end.

Freak is freak. STOP tolerating/accepting it!!!!

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Whatever the reasons, why not a shot in the leg...?

Sep 18, 2017, 6:06 PM

This 'shoot to kill' mentality is 'at the heart' of numerous incidents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

better yet, why didn't they just shoot the knife out of his

Sep 18, 2017, 6:08 PM

hand? I've seen them do that on TV tons of times.

Cop would have shot, there would have been a huge ricochet noise like PEWWWW, knife would have gone flying, kid would have shook his hand a few times, and then put his hands up in the air with a wry grin on his face, knowing he'd been beaten.

Not sure when they stopped teaching this at the academy.

tales of wells fargo***

Sep 18, 2017, 6:15 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cute... Most of your sucasms are.***

Sep 18, 2017, 7:17 PM [ in reply to better yet, why didn't they just shoot the knife out of his ]

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

This bullsh!t.***

Sep 18, 2017, 6:17 PM [ in reply to Whatever the reasons, why not a shot in the leg...? ]

Yea, just KILL'EM!***

Sep 18, 2017, 7:25 PM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

That's how they're trained, bro.

Sep 18, 2017, 7:30 PM

That "wing 'em" sh!t is only in the movies. They aim for center mass, and they shoot to eliminate the threat.

...and that's EXACTLY my point. In a case like this, it's

Sep 18, 2017, 7:41 PM

totally unnecessary. If they couldn't hit his lower body from that range, they need to go to the range before being issued a firearm. Your "eliminate the threat" is at the root of the problem. They could clearly discern the threat.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic