Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
so....it looks like it may be time to jump ship at work
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

so....it looks like it may be time to jump ship at work

Jul 20, 2020, 2:21 PM

other than lemon party, what is a resume supposed to look like these days?

It's been 12 years since I have done this

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so....it looks like it may be time to jump ship at work

Jul 20, 2020, 2:26 PM

I like mine but I for the life of me cannot find the original file. Just the pdf. So I am dead in the water on that front. A really cool big timer in my industry gave me his and I profited a few years ago.

Plenty of places online to buy different formats for your industry but that’s one of those things I think we all hate to spend money on these days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember I used a random Word template for mine a long

Jul 20, 2020, 2:28 PM

time ago. And that was once, the other times I've been hired I was directly recruited and didn't need to really polish a resume.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

suite humble brag

Jul 20, 2020, 2:36 PM

hahaha, good for you

I'm meeting my headhunter friend this week.

It was a quasi humble brag/quasi excuse that I

Jul 20, 2020, 3:05 PM

don't know if Word still has good templates, but I'd start there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Sorry man. I recommend you go into the PMP world

Jul 20, 2020, 2:42 PM

like our esteemed colleague 19B®. It's hipster af, plus you get tp fart into your own chair.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pave Matthews Pand?***

Jul 20, 2020, 2:43 PM

PMPin' ain't easy.***

Jul 20, 2020, 3:04 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used canva.com to update mine

Jul 20, 2020, 2:53 PM

Recommendation from a recruiter friend.

I like a very simple resume

Jul 20, 2020, 2:57 PM

I want to know your education. I don't care how long its been. I want to know your work history. If you have had 5 jobs in 4 years, I'm pitching the resume without even looking at it. I hate buzzwords. I don't need a lot of detail about what you did or how you did it. Did you do similar work that we do? If yes, that's all I need to know.

Even the slightest grammar error or punctuation error gets the resume pitched. A cover letter is nice. If you get wordy, I'm not hiring you. I don't want you to be wordy with clients.

What gets you in the door is, are you intelligent and do you have relevant experience. The interview is just to see if you fit the company culture.

My sister works for a University and helps kids for a living. She reviewed my daughter's resumes and added all kinds of BS to them. Maybe that is the new way to do things, but most people hiring are at least in their 40's.

We kept it simple and their hit rate was high. I got mad at my son and quit helping him because he was so dang smart and knew it all. He had wordy cover letters and minor mistakes and a wordy resume. After a couple of months of getting no hits, he took my advice and had several interviews lined up within a couple of weeks.

There are hundreds of examples out there. Find a template that fits you. You want a good match so show the true you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's pretty solid advice

Jul 20, 2020, 3:37 PM

i've been at this job for 12 years and that takes me back to some F and B stuff out of college.

I've participated in some other extracurricular things (president of neighborhood board and rotary club)

Our company culture does not revolve around buzzwords. We don't use any of the corporate speak (circle back, 30,000 ft, synergy, etc) so I'm not worried about that part.

It will probably not be wordy since my experience is pretty limited.

Only big issue is that I don't know if I want to be in this industry or sales.

Re: I like a very simple resume

Jul 20, 2020, 3:40 PM [ in reply to I like a very simple resume ]

Most resumes have to clear an HR dept before anyone sees it.

People in HR are idiots. If you don't match terms from their list exactly they won't make the connection and will toss the resume for lack of relevance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine worked

Jul 20, 2020, 3:08 PM

It had my name, address, job history, education and other stuff. It was in .pdf.

hth this helps

Just start connecting to anybody and everyone on LinkedIn

Jul 20, 2020, 4:16 PM

Unless you want to actually find a job, then listen to the folks above.

Simple short correct

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic