Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bad news for Spurrier and SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Bad news for Spurrier and SEC

Jan 17, 2015, 7:11 PM

Guaranteed four year scholarships passed an NCAA vote today. Naturally, the SEC voted against it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that is news....when does it take effect.***

Jan 17, 2015, 7:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: that is news....when does it take effect.***

Jan 17, 2015, 7:17 PM

Next year. Full cost of attendance (stipends) also passed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don't GAF. They'll just grant the ones they run off a

Jan 17, 2015, 7:22 PM

full academic scholly

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they do that, it'll be better than just running them off

Jan 18, 2015, 10:29 AM

with no education.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so that 31 that SC signs will be under the rule - sweet.***

Jan 17, 2015, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: that is news....when does it take effect.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds fair, IF there are some exceptions...like

Jan 17, 2015, 7:20 PM

bad enough behavior that requires that the coach to dismiss the player.

I assume that there are those exceptions?

great question - wonder if anyone can link the resolution.***

Jan 17, 2015, 7:34 PM

Re: Bad news for Spurrier and SEC

Jan 17, 2015, 7:20 PM

Saddest thing is that the recruits, nor their parents, ever thought they would fall victim to being the one who loses his scholarship.

Jan 17, 2015, 7:23 PM

What youre going to see is less chances being taken on unrated or 2 star players. Does anyone else see this happening?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope. But likely will be the case at SC.

Jan 17, 2015, 7:27 PM

stupid coots.

Jan 18, 2015, 8:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Bad news for Spurrier and SEC ]

> What youre going to see is less chances being taken
> on unrated or 2 star players. Does anyone else see
> this happening?

Absolutely, with an 85 scholarship limit that would equate to 21.25 /yr. If you take
into consideration that you will probably miss on 3-4 players each year that you
thought could help you, plus you will probably have 3 that are injured and 3 or so that
are redshirts. That gives you 9-10 that are basically out of the equation. Coaches had better
do an outstanding job on recruiting for the remaining 11-12 players if you want to have a solid 2
deep rotation on both offense and defense. So based on this, I would say coaches would pass on NR and
2 stars and a lot of low 3 star players. A suggestion as to a way you help solve this problem and
not penalize the coaches or the players is to say that all red shirt players do not count against your total scholarships in a year. The player is still on scholarship but doesn't count against your total. If the player plays one down during the year then he is off red shirt and counts against your total. That would mean a lot more potential players could be on scholarship, which I assume that education is really what this is all about?

I have an additional question - If you are admitted to a college on an academic scholarship and you don't maintain your grades, what happens? If you work for a company and come to work every day and never cause problems or are out sick, but you just can't get the job done, what happens?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sign the dotted line and do as little as possible

Jan 17, 2015, 7:24 PM

for a free education!

Jan 17, 2015, 7:24 PM

I really think this hurts Alabama the most ,while it seems that all SEC teams oversign,Saban has done it to the point that recruits know if they do not play they will be shown the door.The old ######## better hope they don't pass a rule ...limiting jucos

Jan 17, 2015, 7:35 PM

Now, all athletes can get paid the same amount that the SEC has been paying for years. The wheels continue to fall off for the mighty SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2015, 8:11 PM

South Carolina had already passed this last year so I doubt they voted against this.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11588029/university-south-carolina-gamecocks-guarantee-four-year-scholarships-headcount-sports

Jan 17, 2015, 8:12 PM

This news is not bad enough ...I need it to be oppressing to the point of asphyxiation .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 17, 2015, 11:01 PM

The funny thing is that since the NCAA started allowing multi year scholarships in 2012, the coots have given out 13 multi year scholarships and Clemson just 1.

Jan 18, 2015, 4:36 AM

And while that may be true look at how many scholarships Clemson has honored for players whose career ended because of medical reasons or etc. People like Justin Parker, Patrick DeStefano, Stanley Hunter....etc kept their scholly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2015, 10:26 AM

Moose probably knows that. Our players are kept on scholarship unless they are not behaving themselves in some way. They give effort and keep their noses clean, and they are there until they graduate or they choose to leave on their own. At usuc, not so much.

Didn't SCar already do this

Jan 18, 2015, 5:13 AM

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=11588029

Hate to say anything remotely positive about the dirtpeckers but it is what it is.. That said, I'm sure they'll still find ways to run off the unwanted players.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didn't SCar already do this

Jan 18, 2015, 5:52 AM

Oh yes yes , lets all play pretend in a world where Steven Orr Spurrier is a mensch. Where he has his student-athletes are all protected and the emphasis is on their education , not on how much they can lately do for Steven Orr Spurrier.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 18, 2015, 8:14 AM

Didn't the sack just admit in an interview a week or so ago that he would encourage guys to leave?

I know the guys he was referring to have already graduated, but if those guys paid their dues, did the red shirt thing for the sack, sack should do for them in their 5th year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2015, 8:19 AM

Yep, I think the words he used was "encourage them to go somewhere else".

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, and like you said,

Jan 18, 2015, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Didn't SCar already do this ]

They're still running off players.

Seems kind of like the silly "25" rule...the SEC just ignores it anyway.

Jan 18, 2015, 6:31 AM

Don't know all the details , but must be a good thing. Vote was 79-1 with the No vote from Boston College.

Jan 18, 2015, 1:20 PM

Pretty sure scar agreed to do this months ago... It's been discussed on here

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic