Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
serious question for those wanting to change conf...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

serious question for those wanting to change conf...

May 7, 2012, 7:57 PM

I am extremely interested to know from those that want to leave the ACC what the top reason is.

If swofford were to hold a Presser tomorrow and say he resigns, would that change your mind?

Is it the fact we feel like we get screwed by the North Carolina golden child?

Is it about the money and getting better exposure from the big 12?

Is it about the conference being turned into basketball first, football second?

Is it about the BCS being turned into a playoff system?

I know some of you would say all of the above, but I want to get a consensus among Tiger fans the TOP reason to leave now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Decades ... I repeat Decades ... of Tobacco Road bias ....

May 7, 2012, 8:13 PM

when's enough enough?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Decades ... I repeat Decades ... of Tobacco Road bias ....

May 7, 2012, 8:18 PM

I've had enough of Swofford, but I'm telling you guys we are not going to the Big 12. If we do well it will honestly shock the hell outta me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: serious question for those wanting to change conf...

May 7, 2012, 8:17 PM

most would say Swofford...if he were to leave things would get better I believe

People need to stop whining

May 7, 2012, 8:21 PM

Swofford/UNC/etc. have nothing to do with us losing football games.

I forgot to add that South Carolina has gotten better for 2

May 7, 2012, 8:29 PM

primary reasons; being in the SEC and hiring Coach Spurrier, who probably wouldn't be there were they not in the SEC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have gotten better because they have a coach that

May 7, 2012, 8:56 PM

understands the value of a great offensive and defensive line and until we have a coaching staff that understands that we will continue to be mediocre i don't care how many offensive weapons we have.

Absolutely correct!***

May 7, 2012, 9:16 PM

Re: They have gotten better because they have a coach that

May 8, 2012, 2:39 AM [ in reply to They have gotten better because they have a coach that ]

we have offered nearly every one of the highly rated o and d linemen in the southeast for years, sadly, most of them didn't want to come to clemson ( i think its to many hits to the head, how else could you explain it.)

Re: People need to stop whining

May 7, 2012, 8:55 PM [ in reply to People need to stop whining ]

Well now, I do beg to differ. I guess you have never seen any of the blatant bad calls that YES, have caused us to lose a few or more close game. Who employed those cheating piece of chit Reffs. It had to be the master cheater him self, John Swofford. More than a Nuff said!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People need to stop whining

May 7, 2012, 9:07 PM

Every team in the nation has to deal with bad calls, not just us. Win anyway.

I don't favor the Big 12 but the biggest reason for us

May 7, 2012, 8:26 PM

to consider leaving is the quality of football, especially relative to the SEC, against which we compete for players and fans. Additionally, being a relatively small university with a very small alumni base, located in a small, poor state and not having a professional school of any kind puts us at a big disadvantage financially.

Re: I don't favor the Big 12 but the biggest reason for us

Correct and I Agree. If we don't get with a good paying FB conference. Just settle back and get use to the coots cleaning our clocks year in and year out. Some of us will see our winning history over them disappear. DV would be LUCKY to get 30 thousand fans in the stands. And that's not BS, its an absolute truth. So all that is against the move, enjoy less than mediocre FB. And don't B,itch and complain about fire the coach b/c, we wouldn't even be able to get Tommy West back at Clemson to coach. Be very careful about what you don't want....

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuse me . . .

May 7, 2012, 9:26 PM [ in reply to I don't favor the Big 12 but the biggest reason for us ]

As a graduate of the College of Architecture at Clemson University, I am quite certain that this qualifies as a professional school.

Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't want to change, but the top two reasons are

May 7, 2012, 8:34 PM

money and quality of football.

If we change conferences will we sell more football tickets

May 7, 2012, 8:46 PM

Let's look at what we have now (IMO)...

Pittsburgh - I'm going to say no, they don't bring enough fans to make a dent. Even with nice hardware in the past in football, this fan base lives for Sunday football.

Syracuse - Basketball. Won't travel for football.

BC - Back page news in Boston (when they make the paper at all). Won't travel for football.

Miami - Football school. Small fan base that doesn't travel and the ones that do are generally a-holes imo.

Duke - Basketball school. Fans don't travel for football.

Maryland - Don't travel. See Miami side note.

Virginia - Don't Travel.

Wake Forest - See Virginia.

UNC - Basketball school. Will bring some fans, but not filling up the stadium unless we make it homecoming.

Georgia Tech - Brings more than one would think, but won't help outpace supply of tickets at DV.

NC State - Historically won't travel well.

Virginia Tech - Not exactly great, but better than most.

FSU - Not what it once was, but better than most.

-------------------------

Now my fear if we went to the Big 12 is that they also add Maryland (which for sure would be in our division not bringing any fans). Some say bring Miami, which won't bring fans, but if they get back to winning some games should help put Clemson fans in Clemson seats. I don't know enough of the other teams outside of Oklahoma and Texas to know if any other B12 schools would bring enough fans to help demand overcome supply. Therefore it seems safer where we are at IMO.

ACC sucks...Plain and simple

May 7, 2012, 8:57 PM

I want to be in a conference that is serious about winning at everything

Money

Swofford, UNC blah blah blah...who cares? The fact is that the ACC doesn't bring in anywhere close to the amount of money that the big football conferences do. The SEC blows everyone out of the water in this category, which is why they have the best recruits and the best teams year in and year out. When a high school player watches ESPN, all he hears is how great the SEC is over and over and over. They shove it down these kids throats that if they aren't in the SEC, they are a second tier football player.

Until another conference starts to rival the money and media coverage that the SEC brings in, the SEC will continue to dominate.

That being said, when a conference includes football teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Florida St., Clemson, and West Virginia, it can start to bring that type of money and attention in. Throw in, one more team to make the geography work better (I'd be praying for Virginia Tech), and you have a powerhouse football conference.

So college football is like a big money corporation...

May 7, 2012, 9:31 PM

And in order to succeed we must perform a corporation style merger which would allow us to be aligned with big time programs and big time money? Then we compete for a NC?

I am not disagreeing or agreeing, although your post makes it seem like college football and academic institutions should treat their decisions based solely on the idea of money.

Re: So college football is like a big money corporation...

May 7, 2012, 9:40 PM

What I'm trying to say is that I thought those types of decisions were made in a league called the NFL where money is the driving factor...colleges should take other factors into consideration besides money in my opinion.

Exactly what I'm saying

May 7, 2012, 9:47 PM

If we want to get to the point where we compete for and win national championships, we have to have to be in a situation that brings us as much or more money than everyone else.

You are being naive if you think college football isn't driven by money in nearly every aspect.

Agreed, as an academic institution, there are other concerns to consider, but moving to a conference that brings in more money doesn't affect us negatively.

Re: Money

May 8, 2012, 2:45 AM [ in reply to Money ]

big-10 makes more per school than the sec, by a good margin, and the pac-12 is getting alot closer, and will surpass them when they get the pac-12 network. i think it was wrench who linked the article a few days ago.

Re: Money

May 8, 2012, 8:26 AM

You are forgetting though that the SEC is renegotiating its current contracts. Since their current contracts have gone into effect, they've won 3 more football natonal championships, 3 more baseball national championships, one basketball national championship and increased their footprint by over 60%. I shudder to think what the SEC is going to get when Slive is through. He may also add a SEC Network as well. I think I read somewhere that Bloomberg Finance said that the SEC TV deals were undervalued. If the ACC is not going to better its TV deal than the whispered $1 or 2 million per team annually, Clemson will be at a significant disadvantage to USuCk, UGAY and all the other SEC teams.

May 7, 2012, 9:32 PM

Increased revenue and a football first conference.

Ultimately, we need to knock down any competitive advantage neighboring SEC institutions have on us. We simply cannot continue to compete in the long run with SEC money, their football exposure and the ability to attract and retain coaches. If it wasn't for Dabo not wanting more money, there is no way we have both Chad and Brent on our staff. I'm not so sure Dabo will be okay with this arrangement forever.

Outside of football, the increased revenue may have been enough to salvage the swim program at Clemson. Maybe Olympic sports could be expanded with increased revenue flowing through the athletic department.

Yes, Tobacco Road bias and the Swofford mafia is getting old. From a revenue standpoint, all of the NC schools are at an advantage when looking travel costs due to their proximity to one another. They ultimately net out more than we do from a revenue sharing standpoint.

Also, home games with FSU, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, TCU, West Virginia, Baylor will increase ticket sales. I'm sorry but, the addition of Syracuse and Pitt says it all.

May 7, 2012, 9:38 PM

I don't exactly get it either and I have been a Clemson fan since the 60's. True, Tobacco Road is basketball heaven, no argument. However for us to leave the "weak ACC" is kind of ridiculous. We have only won the "weak ACC" once since 1991, that's once in over 20 years! The ACC may be down a little right now, but do you really think FSU and Miami are going to stay down? Other than possibly $$$, there is no reason to leave. John Swofford does not recruit. He does not play a down. We have the coaches and facilities to be anything we want in the ACC. I don't think the ACC will be kept out of any four team playoff for the National Championship if the ACC Champion is deserving. If someone knows of any factual reason to think otherwise I would love to hear it.

The reason I want out of the ACC is because the ACC is

May 7, 2012, 10:00 PM

terrible, and clearly couldn't care less about football. This stems from the "leadership" of Swoffie, and the bias that exudes from his office. We lost the gator bowl because of his arrogance. And our bowl lineup is the 2nd worse bowl lineup of any other major conference ahead of the Big East, who's conference commish is now updating his resume and searching the want ads.

Next look at our horrible TV contract that gives priority to Raycom...FREAKING RAYCOM! And why? Odd that little Swoffie was employed there when the contract was awarded. Meanwhile the B10 and SEC have their conference networks that provide great revenue and make our deal look completely worthless. Come on Swoffie, you couldn't leverage your golden child basketball to get a deal?

Next look at the teams that have been added to the conference. It started with a horrible decision to add BC. And why? Odd that little Swoffie was employed there when the school was added. VT and Miami were good additions, albeit Miami is but a mere shadow of what they once were, but that couldn't be predicted at the time. And then we add Pitt and Cuse. Football tradition? Yes. Current football success? He!l freaking no. And who wants to travel to sit in Heinz field or some crappy dome for an away game? What do they bring to the conference? Clearly it was a basketball move for a basketball conference.

So I guess my beef with the ACC really comes from a severe lack of leadership, creating a biased basketball conference. Swoffie is terrible, but it predates him. It's no accident that our bball team has never won in Chapel Hill.

And don't even get me started on the extra year of probation and the treatment Swoffie gave to UNCheat during their scandal this year..

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic