Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
saturdays game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,075

saturdays game

Nov 9, 2014, 10:44 AM

in Atlanta is a very,very big game for the Clemson program. As things are right now, it is the years biggest game. By mid afternoon Saturday we will know if the Tigers are contenders OR pretenders for fame this year. And, it will not be an easy game. A lot is at stake for the Bees. I assure you that we will get their very best shot. Not a game you want to play with both QB's banged up. I wish that Kelley had bought into the system and stayed at Clemson. He could be 'the guy' right now. Remember, he left because he disagreed with the coaches lack of desire to go for short yardage gains.Something that we STILL do not do very well! This will be a game where the OL absolutely has to play lights out on every snap. We will find out if the Tiger D is as good as advertised. If we come out of this game the number one defensive team in the country, we really do have something. GT picked up 450 yards rushing against NCSU and completed 7 of 8 passes. Can we stop that option offense? I can't wait to find out. Beasley and Crawford will take on a different role in this game. You don't blitz an option QB. I hope they make more than one tackle each as they did against Wake!

Good luck Cole OR Watson. I hope your teammates allow you to shine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: saturdays game

Nov 9, 2014, 11:34 AM

Good post making good points. I love the development and identity of our defense as crafted by BV. It has given our fans a false sense of security, however. Common themes to postings here reflect how BV has GA TECH's number, Tech's offense will struggle against our defense, etc.

I guess folks are basing their opinions on our wins the last two years. The problem: Our defense did not stop them the last two years. TECH scored 31 both years, and that point total wins ball games the vast majority of the time. We simply had an offense both years that could score in bunches, and we had to score a ton both times to win.

While our defense is improved, this will be the best TECH offense we have faced in these last three years. Adding to grave concerns, our offense this year is in massive reconstruction mode.

All of the above, together with playing in Atlanta against a team that is still in contention for their division...I don't like the setup at all.

The good news: opportunity knocks, as a win here would be the best regular season away game showing since VA TECH in 2011.

2 solid posts "Forrest" & "Stalk" and I concur 110%...

Nov 9, 2014, 11:47 AM

And must say I'm very apprehensive about our O scoring Needed points to counteract GT's 31 pts each of last two yrs..plus Our fine D being able to protect the running lanes and not rush/blitz too much.

GoTiGERS..good luck in $2 Atlanta!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 12:22 PM

I feel like our defense is ready for the challenge of stopping the triple option. They have simply dominated everybody they've played (with the exception of a certain suspended UGA player). GT will get their yards and they will get their points, but it should be well below their season average. This defense is approaching the final product of what we can expect from Coach Venables, and it is head and shoulders above where they were the last two seasons. I just don't see GT finding a way to score 31 on us (turnovers and penalties notwithstanding). The only concern I have is Robert Smith being suspended the first half. Green really struggled at BC when Smith was hurt, and we gave up way too many big pass plays to a team that is not good at passing. Look for Paul Johnson to pick on Green the first half and throw the ball down the field. With our Dline having to respect the triple option, our speed rush is effectively neutralized. A few big pass plays could put concrete on their shoes and leave them confused about what, where, and who to attack.
One other thing really bugs me about this game: since Watson has been out, our offense has struggled to put it mildly. Our redzone offense is pitiful. Most fans put the lack of production at the feet of Stoudt and the Oline. Getting Watson back will obviously be huge, but we've also greatly missed Guillermo. My question is this: what if our offense continues to struggle? I don't think I'm alone in believing that Watson will be the savior of our beleaguered offensive unit, but he was also struggling the last time we saw him play. What's the answer then if our offense cannot get back to form? That's a prospect I find troubling.

Nov 9, 2014, 12:39 PM

You can bet the ranch that GT will be after Watsons' right hand on every play. I hope he has healed because he will be a target. I am curious to see what kind of protection is available for his hand. With this in mind, I suspect that he will not have a lot of QB running plays called. This will reduce one strength that he brings to the team. Maybe this will be a game where Gallman gets going early. He has been a fourth quarter player recently. GT will pass ONLY if the Tigers completely take away the running game. They are capable of that. I think we can survive the first half without Smith ... but we shouldn't have to. bogus call to expel him from the game. Scott has quickly become a big time player. Time for Williams to step up AND Peake may be back. Wouldn't it be great if Dye had his coming out party?

Nov 9, 2014, 1:48 PM

Williams is just a better player with Watson tossing the rock. While I still have reservations about calling him a feature back, Gallman has turned in two straight solid performances. He's had to grow up in a hurry. I do feel okay about calling him a capable back at this level now. Really wish Davidson would hold onto the ball. Love the way he runs. I, too, am eagerly awaiting Dye's first big game, but I think it's still too early. He certainly has the talent, but he's not quite at game shape yet. He'll get there though. Ga State could be a big game for him. The good thing about Gallman coming on is it should take a lot of the pressure off Watson to get the running game going. With Watson's abilities, it would be a shame if he didn't run at least some, but I agree that he should be protected at this point.

Inaccurate post....

Nov 9, 2014, 5:17 PM

you were fine until you slipped in a justification for Kelly's leaving based on "disagreeing with (such and such)". It was much more than this. Kelly did not need to be a Clemson Tiger any longer. I think this was made clear by those who interacted with him on a daily basis.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,075
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic