Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Crank out masks/sanitizer/wipes and let it rip....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Crank out masks/sanitizer/wipes and let it rip....

May 10, 2020, 8:56 AM

Really if we had access to these items we would be a lot further ahead in this mess. Once we can easily buy these items it leaves it up to personal choice on where and what you want to do in the opened economy.

Choose to not wear a mask, use santizers and wipes then you may become a Darwin Award winner. Sit down in crowded spaces like restaurants/movie theaters/sporting venues is your choice too. Too much verbosity on testing has occured when the focus should be on getting stocks of PPE back on the dang shelves. While I may be misguided on my faith in using PPE,hand sanitizers and wipes it does give me a level of comfort while being out. Yup , wearing my ridiculous looking 1/2 face rubber cannister mask/N95 as soon as I step out the truck is frustrating but that is my choice.Also a liberal dose of hand sanitizer upon entering truck . Talk about hot under it.

Personally you could not pay me to go sit in a restaurant,theater etc. but that is my choice, others will/may feel different. Since I know that most a/c systems do not use HEPA filters the thought of recirculated air carrying particles is a huge concern. Also the fact that it blows stuff around that may waft over from the table next to you.

Thing is we cannot sit around and wait for a vaccine, imo we will never get one that works in the range to be truely effective. Been 30+ years and no vaccine for AIDS. Nor are we able to pay folks to sit around while waiting for something that may never come. So the harsh reality is we will need to crank back up as best as possible,accept the deaths that will surely come and do the best we can to protect ourselves. Get cracking on producing PPE for the public to purchase, if you choose to not use it then that falls to personal choice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meanwhile in Greenville yesterday

May 10, 2020, 9:09 AM

https://twitter.com/joshneedelman/status/1259247545240432640?s=21

Re: Meanwhile in Greenville yesterday

May 10, 2020, 9:15 AM

Goes to personal choice, see what THEY do has no direct affect upon me. Like I said, I wear a maskand gloves while at work. My office has had the ducting blocked off and I sanitize it each time I enter. I use what I can to isolate myself from it and others as best as I can, let them do as they want .

Except it will drive up the cost of healthcare for you

May 10, 2020, 9:22 AM

and everyone else and puts the employees at the restaurant at much greater risk.

Good news is we’ll get the peak over that much quicker and go ahead and thin the herd.

Re: Except it will drive up the cost of healthcare for you

May 10, 2020, 9:32 AM

Rise in health care costs will be temporary as 80% will require nothing, those that die will not be incurring any future costs.

Owners will need to provide proper PPE going forward to ensure that staff is protected. Employees will need to use it all the time.

It will thin the herd a bit but not to the extent that fixes the planets problems, wonder what Greta has to say now? The flip side of the Green debate is what we are now seeing from a virus. It is cool I guess if financially able to weather the storm though. Maybe now she understands what being robbed of her childhood really means.

Thinning of the herd... Retune in June....***

May 10, 2020, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Meanwhile in Greenville yesterday ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was the Vinyl Junkies playing?

May 10, 2020, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Meanwhile in Greenville yesterday ]

ringknocker85

Three paper products on my grocery list yesterday.

May 10, 2020, 9:20 AM

Got ONE out of the three. Haven't seen a roll of TP in any store I've been to, except Sam's, and that was the industrial rolls of single ply. Paper towels....are GONE. I did manage to find a pack of napkins.

Clorox ANYTHING is gone. We need the bathroom cleaner. Haven't seen it in a month. Can't find it online. Clorox wipes? Forget it.

Luckily we stocked up on TP early, and paper towels as well. We always buy those from Sam's anyway, in bulk. Mom has 2 gallons of hand sanitizer, she uses it all the time.

But the DPA should be used to manufacture Clorox wipes, bathroom cleaners, BLEACH, hand sanitizer, and other things. Our supply chain wasn't designed for this, and it MUST change. Same with meats. The news is better there. Sure, there's a shortage, but restaurants are closed too and/or ordering less. So the meat section was fully stocked, with cuts of meat I've never seen in the grocery store before, but there was plenty of meats.

Our problem is in our supply chains more than anything else. We can produce all the meat we need, but can't get it all into grocery stores. We can produce all the Clorox items we need, but we can't get it all in grocery stores. People are going to the grocery stores for almost EVERYTHING, but they are also going less often, and buying more at a time to minimize visits. We are making bi-weekly grocery runs now, instead of weekly, for a family of 5. PLUS, we're not eating out nearly as much. Combine the two and I'm loading a buggy to the max every two weeks. $150 weekly grocery runs are now $350 biweekly grocery runs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hit Ingles right when they opened Wednesday and scored

May 10, 2020, 9:31 AM

Our brand of TP, wet wipes, and Kleenex. The bleach aisle was still empty.

Re: Three paper products on my grocery list yesterday.

May 10, 2020, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Three paper products on my grocery list yesterday. ]

If you buy a bottle of this for countertops, door knobs and light switches and stuff then wash your hands with plain soap to remove the germs you can get by. I paid 20 bucks for a gal of this two months ago and use a squirt bottle I'd bought from Walmart long ago to dispense the alcohol.

This is the stuff that I cleaned Dupont 2k clear off my varilux lens a while back so it's safe for anything but washing the human body. Since I was nuts when I started using it I've noticed no change.

https://www.amazon.com/Laboratory-Grade-Denatured-Ethyl-Alcohol-95/dp/B0754NDJLR/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol+91&qid=1589123788&sr=8-7

Just dilute this to 3% by mixing it with gentle (cheap dollar store) dishwashing liquid for hand washing and any type body lotion for hand sanitizer. Spraying it inside a car is OK but not on cloth, it eats cloth up.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrogen-Peroxide-Grade-Rapid-Shipping/dp/B086PHBHBF/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2RM4F0EZ5GMCD&dchild=1&keywords=peroxide+gallon&qid=1589124180&sprefix=peroxide%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-4

Harbor freight has the cheapest gloves at 10 bucks a box.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

got a gallon of 99.9% isopropyl at the hardware store

May 10, 2020, 2:10 PM

about $35 mix with 100% aloe gel to reduce to 70%

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Crank out masks/sanitizer/wipes and let it rip....

May 10, 2020, 9:29 AM

agree, and think sweden has the right idea building herd immunity with their younger workers. We can hemorrhage money as country for the next 2 years waiting for a vaccine, or be smart about it and protect the vulnerable while the rest of us take some risks in getting sick to keep the economy moving.

and as far as there being a no vaccine for HIV, it is a whole different animal,. My understanding is that a COVID vaccine is completely feasible in two years. If we are lucky it will come next summer.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2020, 9:36 AM

Yep. We need to get moving forward. I was also thinking that the gov should give free education for a couple of years to people wanting to become nurses and doctors that will directly work with these viruses. We need to just keep moving forward and just be prepared.

May 10, 2020, 10:12 AM

we need more healthcare professionals in this country, it is a main driver of healthcare costs in that the bar Doctors have to hurdle is pretty high to get licensed. And when you set their degrees aside, a lot of them are pill pushers for Big Pharma and do properly diagnose and treat their patients. That is my best argument against a for profit healthcare system.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Allegedly current POTUS can give health & medicine advice.***

May 10, 2020, 6:16 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Crank out masks/sanitizer/wipes and let it rip.... ]

Yup, my thoughts since it is worse mainly for those 60+ move SS to 60 with a full benefit . Maybe it can be moved back after the vaccine(not holding my breath) but those already on it stay on it. Add a clause that says if you choose to work while getting early SS it is taxed at 75% to help enforce the need to remain out of the workforce.

I am 60+ and take my risk daily heading out to work, not worried but like I said I take precautions, especially with what I do. I survived the MERS outbreak residing in the hotspot, the Ebola/SARS/H1N1 while travelling for work and dang sure I am not getting taken out here in the USA if I can help it.

People are just getting crushed financially , we gotta do something to get it going and preserve a future for those younger folks. I cannot sit here and say I got me mine ,screw you younger folks.

If we build herd immunity we won't need a vaccine.

May 10, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Crank out masks/sanitizer/wipes and let it rip.... ]

We never found a vaccine for SARs. I expect this to behave much the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's already supassed SARS though, right? I mean...I think

May 10, 2020, 1:48 PM

the ship has sailed on that. We can reach herd immunity, but the effects are going to be far worse. Honest question...just my general understanding of the numbers. I'll go look them up now, but I feel like we are WAY past any comparison to SARS. We didn't NEED a SARS vaccine because it went away quickly. the spread was contained.

in general, I would like it if everyone would get their #### together, stop this partisan ######## fighting, do their part to minimize the spread (masks, contact tracers, social distancing) so we can start getting back to work and school.

I think if someone wants to go to restaurants or concerts or games, that's on them. I will probably choose not to. Where it affects me is schools. I can't control what pther parents do. so I have to assume my kid iwill be a carrier at some point and I will plan accordingly in terms of family visits etc.

Message was edited by: 3timeTiger®

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

We are at about 4 cases per thousand

May 10, 2020, 1:54 PM

heard immunity takes around 800 cases per 1000 so it may take awhile

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holy ####!! Balm and I agree, not just a little bit, but

May 10, 2020, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Crank out masks/sanitizer/wipes and let it rip.... ]

100% on something. I will celebrate this day forever.

Since Day One, back about Feb 1, I have been saying to anyone who would listen to quarantine those at risk and let everyone else do as they saw fit with the best information we have. I can't get anyone to tell me what is wrong with that, but a certain segment has bought into full lockdown, a full destruction of individual autonomy, and won't turn it loose.

Heavens, this is a great day. Glad to know you, Balm.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2020, 11:28 AM

and bring back the balloons!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not eat out.

May 10, 2020, 11:39 AM

The food is full of cholesterol which my heart doesn't like so public dining ended long ago for me.

I told you guys that I didn't like Trump not using the defense production act to produce a billion n95 mask without valves weeks ago. I also think we need a billion doses of HCQ. If you don't want to take the medication which has proven to prevent the virus or wear the mask someone else will make use of your share.

I'm not suggesting NY, NJ or the surrounding area open up. That's for people in NY...to decide. This virus is on its last leg now and it won't be long until it's over this cycle. We need to open up and start preparing for the next epidemic with the PPE for citizens and the UV lights for public buildings.

Re: I do not eat out.

May 10, 2020, 11:44 AM

we will probably not eat out for a while

we use masks, alcohol, hand sanitizer to de-contaminate after we come out of stores

the wife likes to use gloves too

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do think we aldo need a contact tracing system. once a

May 10, 2020, 1:41 PM

privacy based system is complete, I would hope that most would adopt it. Then IMO we have a shot at getting ahead of outbreaks. Despite what i see around me (crowds, lack of social distancing, few masks), I hope that most want to be able to live their lives while not adversely affecting others... and contact tracing would help let you know if you been exposed to someone that tested positive. then you could get tested, self-quarantine as needed.

heard someone saying at this late date contact tracing

May 10, 2020, 2:04 PM

has pretty much left the barn

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well, for this round. yeah. but there will be a 2nd wave

May 10, 2020, 2:20 PM

maybe more. For that matter, there will be a next pandemic? why not get the technology going?

Contact tracing is the great...

May 10, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to I do think we aldo need a contact tracing system. once a ]

when you have patient zero. At this point the scope of effort to trace contacts of several million cases is so impractical it's impossible. The very knowledge that there are millions of unknowns carry and spread Covid ends any hope of contact tracing.

In this case the CDC's quick response team failed to deal with Covid properly in Washington state and had no chance of handling the outbreak in NY due to Trump being a putz and not shutting down traffic from the EU on Jan 31 when he shut it down from China.

It might still work in my town where we goes days with

May 10, 2020, 2:31 PM

no new cases. We are at 150 total and I'm sure at least half are better by now if not more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

same here. especially before the students come back :-O

May 10, 2020, 2:35 PM

again, as i said above, i don't think it's too late to get in front of a 2nd wave (or 3rd or 4th wave) or even be ready for the next whatever that may be out there.

Re: It might still work in my town where we goes days with

May 10, 2020, 7:05 PM [ in reply to It might still work in my town where we goes days with ]

Yes it may. It will work if Covid returns this fall. In fact, it should become part of the CDC early response team's commission to seek and control a return outbreak. That wouldn't have worked early this year due to our test being faulty which would have confounded the efforts.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic