Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball Team Expectations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,080

Basketball Team Expectations

Nov 25, 2019, 9:27 AM

Is anyone pleasantly surprised by the talent on our baskeball team this year? I know we haven't really played anyone, but our young talent looks good.

For a team that didn't have a good year last year, lost 90% of their production, and have injuries to two projected starters; we look pretty #### good.

Dawes: He looks to be one of the best PG prospects to come through here. I know it's early, but the dude is super quick, can shoot, and seems to be able to distribute very well.

Chase Hunter: Similar to Dawes, but he looks very polished for a freshman. He had a bad game against VT, but he looks like a great prospect.

Tevin Mack: Dude is an absolute beast. Hopefully he keeps it up this year.

Hunter Tyson: Provides a nice spark off the bench that can shoot very well

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Basketball Team Expectations

Nov 25, 2019, 9:38 AM

I realize nobody likes to talk about 2 years from now, but with our next recruiting class we might be really good in a couple of years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed, been on edge with BB, but I think we are on verge

Nov 25, 2019, 9:51 AM

and should give him a little patience this year. I know its like year 8 or 9 or whatever and weve heard it before, but I really think we have some pieces coming together to be really good as long as we dont have defections or major injuries.

This year however will require some patience as the team will have moments it looks really good but also moments where youth/inexperience shows and we will look really bad.

Re: agreed, been on edge with BB, but I think we are on verge

Nov 25, 2019, 11:17 AM

I was one that was in favor of finding a new coach after last year, but much that was because I saw it as a 2 year commitment. I think that it would be unfair for us to get rid of Coach Brownell this year simply because there was too little coming back to even expect a mediocre season.

So far I am very encouraged by what we have shown so far, and believe that the NIT is a very real possibility. I am sorry if that may sound negative, but I think that would be a very good year under the circumstances. When you couple the young guards on this team with the big men committed for next year, I believe that the future looks as good as it has in a while.

agree, I could have def understood firing him last yr but if

Nov 25, 2019, 11:28 AM

you decided to keep him, then expectations have to be tampered as well and AD has to live with consequences of that decision. The expectations for this years team should not match those of a team full of upper classmen. When the AD decided to keep him, the AD was pretty much giving him 2 years unless he just craps the bed. Based on current recruiting and what we have seen thus far this season, BB has not given a reason egregious enough for him not be given another year based on the original decision made for him to be retained.

We're definitely going to need the patience

Nov 25, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Basketball Team Expectations ]

as for 33 minutes last night that was really ugly. Getting hammered on the boards, careless turnovers, atrocious shooting except for Mack. Then the switch came on.

A perfect example was Dawes. 7 turnovers, 5 big points in OT, 2 missed FT in OT. Up and down and all over the place. But he kept his head in the game defensively.

One thing you can always say about Brad's teams is they play hard. Defensively they really gutted it out last night when offensively, they were offensive most of the night. We're going to have nights where it never clicks and its ugly, a few where it all comes together, and a bunch of what we saw last night, hopefully not 33 minutes of it. That's the price of being young.

There is a good bit of raw talent though. If they somehow can learn quickly from games like last night, there is hope for a decent year this year. The future looks pretty darn good.

Colorado on Tuesday will be by far the best team we've played, so will be interesting to see how we respond.

Nov 25, 2019, 9:57 AM

I always expect them to make the NCAAT, but I always expect to be disappointed too. If they were to somehow make the NCAAT, then I would be flabbergasted. It's good for CBB that I'm not the one in charge of deciding his fate at CLEMSON.

Nov 25, 2019, 10:08 AM

I want CBB through next year no matter what happens. I want to see how we look next year when these 3 young guards develop and we add those 2 recruits. Then we add that transfer PG and also I think Baehre should return for a senior year. We might be pretty solid.

Nov 25, 2019, 10:26 AM

I agree. Next year should be the tellimg year though with all the overall talent. My only concern about Brad after this season is if we just win 10 or 11 games this season, but like striperfan said if are defense will keep us in games, at least we can get finish around .500. My hope is if the two ACL guys can come back to contribute, and no more injuries we can peak in Feburary and make a good run in the ACC.

realistically...

Nov 25, 2019, 10:47 AM

First off, its funny how this post would/could have been drastically different if we didnt pull off the miracle comeback last night.

with that said, most know I am an eternal optimist when it comes to clemson basketball and coach brownell. i rarely miss a game and have defended them tirelessly over the last decade. I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO! But, for the first time in his tenure, I dont really have a positive outlook on the season. I think our lack of size is really gonna hurt us when we get into ACC play. Louisville, UVA, FSU, and UNC will kill us with their size IMO. We rely heavily on the 3 point shot and when thats not falling, we go in to some really really long droughts. In the past, we've had Landry Nnoko, Eli Thomas, etc to be able to post up and get points when shots werent falling, and now we just dont have that option with Jemison not being ready for big ACC minutes yet. Our strength is speed and defense.

I think we'll have a lot of frustrating games with a few games mixed in where we shoot really well and see 'light at the end of the tunnel'.

I really hope i'm wrong but i think the NIT is the ceiling for us this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Especially on the boards

Nov 25, 2019, 12:20 PM

Offensively, Amir poses problems for a traditional big. Defensively he's physical enough to hold his own. But we're going to have to rebound as a team. The lack of a second big body could really hurt us there. Need Baehre to have an impact and Moore to develop quickly

Re: realistically...

Nov 25, 2019, 12:21 PM [ in reply to realistically... ]

This was not a knee jerk reaction post just because of a big win.

I’ve thought this all season since the vt game.

Dawes looks like the best freshman point gaurd we have had since I can remember.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2019, 10:47 AM

Looked at last night's game again. AMazed but glad we won. No matter what we did that was bad TCU did even worse. MIssed 4 ft late stat could have really helped. That is dreadful. Talent to be good on a hot 3pt night but I'm not seeing enough other O for when that doesnt materialize

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no positive expectations for the roundball team.

Nov 25, 2019, 12:34 PM

Therefore, anything good that happens will be a pleasant surprise. I have found this to be a much more productive approach than "hoping for the best" and then having those hopes dashed year after year. It is what it are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,080
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic