Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ?

Aug 4, 2019, 12:10 PM

?????

nail biter there last year -- but good tailgating .....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Not close

Aug 4, 2019, 12:12 PM

A&M QB played the game of his life, while Clemson was stil going thru the QB Experiment. Neither will happen this year, Clemson covers the spread.

we had so many near misses in that game .....

Aug 4, 2019, 12:16 PM

so many almost sacks, so many near INT's. ......

crazy -- then we let them go wide OPEN across the middle late in the game.

Mond threw 2 crazy circus TD's .....

null

Re: Not close

Aug 4, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Not close ]

That game was so fluky last year and every bounce went aTm’s way offensively. I think Clemson runs away with it this time.

To be fair, we got the luckiest bounce last year

Aug 4, 2019, 12:47 PM

With the fumble through the endzone.

With that said, I think the game ends the same exact score if they do get the TD there. We stop the 2 pt conversion, they try the onsides, and we run the clock out.

But you are right that there were a ton of passes last year which truly were jump balls, and a few that went through our defenders' hands (like the last TD pass which should have been an interception).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly the fumble thru end zone also very unusual

Aug 4, 2019, 1:22 PM

and a good break for us - after so many breaks for them

crazy good game though and being in College Station was cool !!!!

null

Re: exactly the fumble thru end zone also very unusual

Aug 4, 2019, 5:47 PM

So somebody else here saw a call or 2 go our way late.

Re: exactly the fumble thru end zone also very unusual

Aug 4, 2019, 7:33 PM

Did you notice all the no-calls on their Oline holding Clemson’s Dline?

Re: To be fair, we got the luckiest bounce last year

Aug 4, 2019, 9:38 PM [ in reply to To be fair, we got the luckiest bounce last year ]

True, although it was the right call. I believe it's rare that a national champion doesn't get at least one favorable bounce of the ball. In 2016 we picked the right game to lose, most of the top teams lost that week.

None the less, I agree with most that we will win comfortably. However, not a runaway, we tend to have growing pains early in the season. I trust the process.

Re: re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ?

Aug 4, 2019, 12:35 PM

The game this year will be a lot closer than last for most of us since this year it'll be at home instead of out in College Station, TX.

Aug 4, 2019, 12:38 PM

We should win by a larger margin this season than last season since they won't be able to get away with playing with a 12th man like they can at home.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ? ]

Unless one lives in College Station.

It won't even be close if the refs call at least a few holding calls against TAMU. TL16 was very new and could not pick up the pressure like he managed to learn last season. It's a whole different ballgame this year. Mond never played anywhere close to that performance again, and even the gods of football could not pull that game out of their butts with the desperation plays that worked for TAMU.

..uncalled holds like this one?

Aug 4, 2019, 1:52 PM

This uncalled hold was one of the plays on which TAMU scored a TD. Heck, if not for this uncalled hold, Monde would have been sacked, and/or injured, and/or would have fumbled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Re: ..uncalled holds like this one?

Aug 4, 2019, 2:28 PM

Wow, that hold was blatant.

It will be out hardest game of the year,Jimbo does a good job against us usually. Having said that I would expect no closer than 2 TD's. We are home, we have DV and the Tiger faithful, it will be frigging loud.

Aug 4, 2019, 12:48 PM

TLaw won't "fumble on 4th and goal at the one with a chance to go up by three touchdowns in the first half."
This one will be well in hand before halftime. We'll give up a few points because aTm is decent and it will take a few games for this defense to get there feet under them. 38-17.

Aug 4, 2019, 1:07 PM

Friends, I respect A&M but, we win this game by at least 10 pts. All depends on the defense. If the offense plays to it's potential, we light up the scoreboard vs the Aggies. BV will the defense ready I believe. Especially locked in if there are blown assignments vs GT.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would be TL's closest game ever as a Tiger

Aug 4, 2019, 5:29 PM

We win by three touchdowns

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 12:57 PM

I have this one down as one of our three no doubt games this year. We will curb stomp them.

Make No Mistake, Clemson Was In Total Control

Aug 4, 2019, 1:55 PM

Keep in mind, Dabo played the entire roster beginning in the 1st Quarter. In fact, he was rotating QBs and rotating young but talented players. Texas A&M did have some solid players such as Mond and Keke, but Texas A&M played their 1st Team for all four quarters. However, they did recruit well and they have a load of talent returning to the game. You should know that our team returns a bevy of talent and experience on the offensive side of the ball so we're ready for a shootout. You should also know that it won't be a shootout after the third quarter because of our depth at line backer, corner, and safety. Not to mention that our defensive ends are deep and talented as well. Clemson will probably blow them out starting in the first quarter and maintain command throughout the game just as we did last season. This time, it will be in an electric and loud Death Valley with thousands of screaming Clemson faithful. As I say, this game will not even be close. There's no quarterback rotation, no questions on defense at the back 7 and our front defensive four will be ready to create chaos at the line of scrimmage.

FLASHBACK: After the game, Coach Venables was addressing the media and Dabo walked by. They both seemed a bit happier than normal. Not with the fact that they just won at Kyle Field on the road, but that they played the entire roster when the game mattered and still walked away with a win. Now, when speaking to the media they only addressed the factors of the game play, but in reality when Dabo and Coach Venables looked at each other with a look of approval as if their plan had worked, it was evident that they were happy about the results of playing the entire roster.

Fast Forward from that night, you can easily see that the plan all along was to build massive depth across the roster at each position to keep fresh legs in the game and wear opponents down. Dabo took a chance and it paid off in dividends. He took his system to new heights by testing his very own coaching philosophy and it works. The coaches are constantly trying to improve the system and enhance the program. They haven't failed yet as the results speak for themselves. Games are won or lost before they're even played. It's all in how Clemson prepares and our Tigers roll into this season loaded with depth again and will have even more depth by game number four.

GO TIGERS!

SCORE PREDICTION FOR THIS GAME: 56-27 CLEMSON!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Make No Mistake, Clemson Was In Total Control

Aug 4, 2019, 5:20 PM

Aggie here.. And I agree with this post. I alluded to a similar view from our side of the ball on this, but didn't hit it head on. I think Clemson returns more starters and "seasoned" players under an already stable system. On our side of the ball we made MAJOR strides under Jimbo's first year with Sumlin's players. We have some talent, our cupboard is by far not "bare". But we don't yet have the luxury to cycle a bunch of non-starters in tougher games (yet).

We'll get there, but I think it'll still be a little too early to "expect" an Aggie win on the road vs a Clemson team that already has "stability". I think it being the second game of the season will favor Clemson more than us. It should be an interesting game, and we may surprise (we're a young team, and sometimes new players plugged in can be better than expected). But on paper, Clemson wins in an entertaining but never in question game.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:24 PM

PS - Agree with the point about the program building... disagree however that the score will be that bad. I think it's waaaaay too early to predict a score, but I don't think it will be a blow out. I don't think it will be in doubt, but not a blow out. If I was pressed to guess today or be flung off a building... I would say something like 24-14, 37-23, etc.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:53 PM

C2Ag93 said:

PS - Agree with the point about the program building... disagree however that the score will be that bad. I think it's waaaaay too early to predict a score, but I don't think it will be a blow out. I don't think it will be in doubt, but not a blow out. If I was pressed to guess today or be flung off a building... I would say something like 24-14, 37-23, etc.

The only reason why I chose such a marginal difference on the points is because of Clemson's style. Our offense will be the strength of the team as we return a 3 deep roster of monsters on the offensive line. We have a stable of Top10 running backs and by far the Number 1 QB and Number 1 WR Corps. Once the Tigers have a commanding lead they tend to pour on the points until the Fourth Quarter. The only reason why I say Texas A&M gets back into the game any is because of the high volume of rotation we will be conducting with our Freshmen. Clemson is the new dynasty and unlike Bama, this one was built by a staff of coaches whom have been together for a decade and built a program from the ground up. It's a program dynasty built to last for a very long time.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Aug 5, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Make No Mistake, Clemson Was In Total Control ]

Every game in which Trevor Lawrence started and played the entire game, we won by 20 or more points, including against previously undefeated Notre Dame and Alabama. That’s 10 games and counting. And Lawrence is only going to get better. The chances of us winning by less than 10 points is very low.

Early is the time to get Clemson

Aug 4, 2019, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Make No Mistake, Clemson Was In Total Control ]

We will be playing Freshman back-up in the first and second quarter. They will mess up too. We will play 70 plus players. That's how we build depth for the long haul.

Aug 4, 2019, 2:30 PM

I used to like A&M if Clemson wasnt playing them but not anymore w Jimbo there. I really dont care for him. It grates on me he was ever admitted to Clemson even though he only lasted a short time

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 2:58 PM

I worry about our place kicking in big games. Jimbo can always scheme his tight ends free across the middle and I suspect we trail early in the 2nd quarter after a punt and a couple missed FGs plus a TD. In the end we win by 11 just strangling them in the 2nd half. Coaches will say we have work to do.

yeah - we have an amazing Defense, but we often leave TE's

Aug 4, 2019, 3:00 PM

so wide open Danny Ford can make a living growing corn in that space .......

null

Re: yeah - we have an amazing Defense, but we often leave TE's

Aug 4, 2019, 5:25 PM

TAMU lost their outstanding All-American TE from last year. They might have to start a frosh there.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:55 PM

I still remember Jack Nicklaus’ grandson catching and rumbling for 2 or 3 years with the Noles

noles had a red head TE that used to wear us out ...***

Aug 4, 2019, 6:20 PM

null

Aug 4, 2019, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: yeah - we have an amazing Defense, but we often leave TE's ]

The Noles of 2012-2013 were better then TAMU now and Clemson much better than the 2012-2013 Tiger teams. It took coach VB a couple of years to really make the defense great.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:10 PM

FWIW, Aggie take here. Short answer - It will be entertaining, but never in doubt - Clemson wins. Not pandering to the home crowd, just how I see it. Of course, hope we surprise and upset you. :D

Longer answer -

1 - I don't thing it will be a blow-out (hope I'm not wrong). Jimbo is too good of a coach and game day prepper. I know that seems to fly in the face of us snatching defeat from the jaws of victory vs Auburn last year, and losing to Miss State in a game that was never in doubt. And losing to Bama at Bama. But I believe the general consensus among Ags is it was simply his first year with the players he inherited. You had to have watch A&M football under Sumlin to understand what I'm saying, but in short, we saw a complete 180 in player preparation and game day execution last year. Just simply didn't have the right players.

2 - QB: As I am sure you know, Jimbo builds the plan around QB. Mond, through no fault of his own, was not good his freshman year (Sumlin's last year). He was thrown into the starting position when Sumlin's choice at starter was injured first game of the season. We were surprised when Jimbo picked Mond as starter last year, but he really showed great improvement all year. My personal opinion, he still didn't seem like a "world beater" to me last year, but improving for sure. So one huge wildcard when we come to Clemson will be whether Mond has plateaued or gotten better.

3 - RB: I'm concerned, as it seemed we had one RB last year (Trayveon Williams). A couple others every once in a while had a good, memorable carry. So the cupboard is not bare (Trayveon opted for early NFL). But if we don't have a replacement, it will be a long day for us at Clemson if we're one-dimensional with the passing game.

4 - Receivers: No problems here. I think it will be a strength, except we need a replacement at TE (since Jimbo uses TE in his system and our great TE last year also opted for NFL). But again, we can't rely on passing.

5 - Defense: TBH, I am not as in tune with our D, who's graduated, who's coming up, etc. I think the general feel is they improved a lot last year and will be at least sufficient this year to keep us in games. The jury is still out whether the "Wrecking Crew" will finally resurrect itself in Aggieland. A&M used to be a school of defense, miss those days. Hopefully we finally solved deep pass coverage issues. Any team could burn us there under Sumlin, we seemed better last year under Jimbo, but still a bit shakey.

I think our special teams will still be very special this year. Braden Mann is an incredible punter, won us a couple games last year, IMO by being accurate and pinning teams back to help our D out a lot.

I don't count us out vs Clemson. And I will say, if I were y'all, one major concern I would have is we're a dangerous team. I don't think under any scenario it will be "easy". But we'll have a lot of new or improving players at key positions, so what you saw last year may not look anything like what takes the field this year. I don't think the uncertainty bodes well for us, but it could also surprise you. Should be a fun game to watch either way!

Aug 4, 2019, 5:20 PM

Consider this : We had ZERO game film to use on game prep last season. ......Much like the situation we have with GT this season.

All we knew was Jimbo’s tendencies from FSU, we had no real way to gauge what his plan would be with the roster he was inheriting. We had no option other than to watch what they did and adjust on the fly. This year should be markedly different in terms of game prep.

When I watched Bama play aTm (in Tuscaloosa) three weeks later after seeing them pull out all the stops against us, I took that into consideration when comparing their showing against the Aggies to ours. Naturally that was completely lost on the boneheaded national media.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:27 PM

Except, in line with my other reply, I don't think Jimbo has us stabilized quite yet into a "system". We'll have a lot of new players. I think you'll have more game film of course than last year, but I wouldn't expect to see a team really that similar to last year. I get your point if we were talking Clemson vs Bama tendencies, as those are established systems. Think we're still a dangerous team due to our youth. And the jury is out if Mond plateaued last year or will be even better this year.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Re: re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ? ]

Not knowing what the Jello Jackets may have up their wings is insignificant. Clemson will destroy them. For instance, TAMU is replacing their TE. Tech is installing a TE! Big difference. I could go on, but I think most already know what the situation is in Atlanta.

Aug 5, 2019, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ? ]

@SamuraiTater beat me to it. I was going to mention all that too. We have much more to go on this year than hunches and tendencies. I still do not expect a blowout but a comfortable win.

Aug 4, 2019, 6:31 PM

We’ve never beaten a Jimbo team by more than 17....
Don’t expect that to change this year either...

Texas HS (as I’m sure everyone knows) is loaded with talent..
aTm has plenty of talented kids on their roster..

Jimbo will do what he always does..
Scheme for the TE and run the ball...
Mix in some play action for his mobile QB..

He will look to slow the game down and try to steal one on the road.. which will limit our scoring opportunities...
I believe the spread is around 20-21 for this game..
I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we cover...I don’t think we will

Aug 4, 2019, 6:36 PM

Actually the spread is now 17...
Seems Vegas sees it the same way..
Surprise surprise...
They don’t pay for those casinos by giving away money.....lol

Aug 5, 2019, 7:52 AM

Vegas really doesn't see much. It just goes where the money takes it. Outside of Clemson, most people are just hearing that Texas A&M is our toughest game, ranked around 10th and are from the mighty SEC. My guess is they are driving the spread at the moment. I would be surprised if it didn't creep back up by gametime.

Aug 5, 2019, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: re-watched aTm game - how close will this year's game be ? ]

Vegas just tries to get an even amount of dollars bet on either side of the spread. If it started at 20 and came down to 17, that means they set it too high and too much money was bet on the under, so they lowered the spread to even it out. Vegas isn’t some all-knowing entity.

Aug 4, 2019, 7:09 PM

I hate to say it, but possibly not as close as game with coots will be, unless our defense improves greatly from game 1 to game 12. Hopefully I am wrong and yes I am old but it’s hard to beat rival 6 in a row. Hopefully we just outscore them both by 20.

Aug 5, 2019, 8:01 AM

It's hard to beat anybody 6 in a row because of the first 5. Now we just need to win one in a row and it won't be as close as last year.

Is Kelly Bryant starting this year?

Aug 4, 2019, 7:11 PM

It matters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A&M QB played out of his mind that night and still lost.

Aug 5, 2019, 9:12 AM

I don't see a repeat of that.

It'll kinda be like the coot game last year ... Clemson will just outscore them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

keep in mind that was the first game ATM had with Jimbo

Aug 5, 2019, 9:39 AM

running the show. There was absolutely no film on them other than what Jimbo showed at FSU with a different team. So we were in no mans land. I think they had played a throw away game before us but didn't show much of their hand. Coach V will have film and a chip on his shoulder this time around. I usually like our chances when that's the case.

Re: keep in mind that was the first game ATM had with Jimbo

Aug 5, 2019, 10:12 AM

I agree with your assessment - a lot of my post was how crazy the game was - we had so many near misses on Defense - and Mond played out of his mind, 2 circus TD's etc .....

null

thats why it was so crazy. I can't see the same going down

Aug 5, 2019, 11:06 AM

this time around. They'll probably get a throw or two in early but unless they have a solid Running attack (which who knows, they might) then you'll also see more 3 and outs from them because those wide open blown coverage's will hopefully not occur. They had about 3 TDs from huge brain farts by our secondary that night. I don't know what was going on.

we let their TE go wide open late in that game as well

Aug 5, 2019, 12:40 PM

we will see what Jimbo does with that and how Venables defends it

I expect Jimbo to see what he can do with the TE against us.

null

Clemson does not cover, wins by 1 pt.***

Aug 5, 2019, 10:15 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic