Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
random Saturday football thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,807

random Saturday football thoughts

May 7, 2016, 4:25 PM

Again, this is just me rambling. This tends to get long, so if you like Twitter posts, this ain't one.

Depth at QB leads to depth at...safety? Why not?
If you go back and watch him fling the ball on film, you really do get the sense it's going to be very, very hard for anybody to hold Zerrick Cooper out of the #2 QB spot for long. He just throws so well and has Deshaun Watson's almost casual, utterly cool demeanor in the pocket. If that turns out to be the case, what would you do with Kelly Bryant? In that case, you've got a 6'3", 225+ pound athlete who runs sub-4.5 and is easily one of the most athletic cats on the team. What do you do with him? WR? Safety? LB? There's some openings at the safety spot and it surely didn't take TJ Green long to make some Very Large NFL dollars once he decided to move there. Just sayin'. Of course, football being the way it is, Kelly will probably come out slinging like Achilles in fall practice and leave egg all over the face of the folks who doubted him...stuff tends to go that way.

This is not a slap on Bryant, by the way. He has spectacular tools and is obviously improving but he still looked raw this Spring. There is nothing whatsoever raw about the way Cooper throws. He looks genuinely elite...like, right now. How Cooper's carrying just a low-end 4-star rating per the services leaves me scratching my head. Cooper looks, to my eyes, like he's probably more than that...like, a whole lot more. 6'4", mobile, athletic, can make every throw in the book, flick it down the field - with touch! - 60 yards with seemingly a flick of the wrist...uhm, is that not what a 5-star guy looks like? Whatever. Maybe it's just me.

Our RB corps looks like an actual corps.
What does it do for Clemson's rushing attack to have options? Everybody loves the Wayne Train but relying on one guy to stay healthy and carry for 1,500+ again on his lonesome is...spooky, when you have national title aspirations. The return to health of Adam Choice is huge to me because he was looking a viable starter before he tore up his knee...Tyshon Dye has always had upper-echelon talent but owing mostly to injuries he's never really put it together and CJ Fuller looks solid and workmanlike, not a game-breaker or feature guy. But Choice's return, if he is healthy, adds the much-needed depth this RB corps lacked last year. I do think Tavien Feaster makes some impact - maybe a lot of impact, especially down the stretch - but he's coming off major shoulder surgery and will probably be limited in camp, which could slow his acclimation into the offense early on in the season.

Meet Deshaun Watson. I think he can be a pretty good QB now that he has people to throw to.
I don't think people really realized how limited Clemson's WR corps was down the stretch last year. Artavis Scott was carrying a knee injury that really limited his explosiveness, Mike Williams was out, Deon Cain was suspended, and Ray Ray McCloud was hurt after midseason and never was close to 100% thereafter. We survived it because of the depth we had at the position, but when 4 of your top 6 receiving targets are missing or severely limited, that's a lot of firepower, gone. What does this offense look like when you add those guys back into the equation, healthy? You likely get an offense that posts Tecmno Bowl numbers, is what you get.

That Thundering Herd of Elephants Up Front....
Is it just me, or does Clemson's OL look, well, genuinely huge this year? Guillermo and Crowder have always been big boys in the 330+ range, but now they're joined inside by Taylor Hearn - who is listed at 6'5", 330 himself - and we've got those prize tackles from last year, Hyatt and Fruhmorgen, who held up as skinny reeds as true freshmen but will probably play at 300+ this year. Add in the fact that Clemson's OL was lining up and whipping people last year - for maybe the first time since the Fry Guys and Nathan Bennett were playing almost a decade back - and you really start liking this OL. They're big, they're nasty, they're intelligent and technically sound, they're whipping people up front, and they can even pull and get down the field and get after you on the second and third levels. That's a lot to like. It took him awhile, but Robbie Caldwell has finally re-tooled this OL to the level we thought he'd get it to when he was first hired on...he even had a dominant OL at Vanderbilt, for cryin' out loud. It was always more than a little confusing to me that a guy with Caldwell's track record wasn't putting a dominant unit on the field; now that it's all his guys and his preferred blocking scheme, I am no longer confused. Robbie's obviously still got it.

So...
I'll muse on defense later, but looking at the O...well. If I was a DC looking at this Clemson offense, I'd be spiking my coffee with something stronger than half-and-half. It looks, anyhow, like an offense as loaded as that 2004 Southern Cal crew that had Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, LenDale White, etc....just one of those units you just sort of kick back, watch, and enjoy the show...and then watch fly off the draft boards come next April. As they like to say, you can only draft one first-rounder every year, but in college you can have as many as you can convince to sign.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stuff man. Q are you as excited about the return of

May 7, 2016, 4:31 PM

Korrin Wiggins as I am? He was one of the best players on that 2014 #1 Defense and had himself a game against OU in the RAB before getting hurt. That is if he can play

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Good stuff man. Q are you as excited about the return of

May 7, 2016, 4:38 PM

Maybe. He's a player. What scares me is that knee injury. Travis Blanks was a shell of himself when he came back - granted, he'd had two knee injuries, not just one - and he was playing the same spot Wiggins is playing, nickel back.

Last year, owing to our depth at safety and complete lack of depth at LB, we played a ton of nickel, 4-2-5 stuff. This year I think we're going to play a lot more "base" 4-3 with the strongside backer - O'Daniel - likely filling much the same role the nickel back usually plays in the 4-2-5. So I think we'll see a lot more of O'Daniel than we will of Wiggins unless Wiggins just comes back with a vengeance. O'Daniel was absolutely killing it this Spring. He'd always been a liability in coverage but he was sticking just a whole lot better and it seemed he was literally on the bottom of every pile...everybody was making noise about Kendall Joseph, I was actually a lot more excited about O'Daniel, he was that good.

Just my take, anyhow.

Love your wisdom looking at the heart and soul

May 7, 2016, 7:58 PM

Of this team. We have so much to be thankful for with the talent we have, we could be balanced with a different game plan every week rotating on our OL to build depth for the long haul.

The best is still yet to come. I agree about O'daniel he could have been a RB too, his high school film was incredible. He will be the Dodd this year, he looked like a monster in the spring.

I keep forgetting about the talent yet to come this year. It's great to be a Tiger for sure. The coots are so hurt after running their mouth about being an SEC dynasty and their banner man crashed and burned and left them high and dry.(they still are paying him?)

I keep thinking recruits would think they may not play but what is happening our coaches are developing them into NFL ready guys. If they could do it they will be coached up at Clemson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see packages with the younger QB's and OL during the easier games once we are ahead to build depth.

I believe Mullens will play and I can't wait to see Muse and hope his younger brother come to us too. Speaking of brothers, Ray Ray's brother will be a Tiger too!

I can't imagine keeping Kelly Bryant off the field in some capacity, our depth is sick as Tay said about the Offense last year if the put it all together before the Miami game.(no team could have beat us that week)

Wiggin's coming back just puts a smile on my face.The two we stole from the coots after the decoots last year are guys that should contribute this year. Mark the fastest guy in the open last year and Johnson who was the late commit. Do you think they will be pretty good this year?

Thank you for putting a picture in our minds of the problems every school would love to have. Deshaun an OL that's huge and mean, RB's that love to punish and WR's that could start on most NFL teams this year, the nations best TE group. Defensive line second to none, LB's experienced & youth coached by Venables, DE's that have talent but need experience and a very talented secondary with one lock down CB(Tank) and Wiggins/O'daniel etc.

What are your thoughts on special teams and the impact of the new High school coaches?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: Love your wisdom looking at the heart and soul

May 7, 2016, 9:40 PM

Appreciate the kudos, but "wisdom" is a strong word. I, ah, assuredly ain't wise, if you get my drift.

I'm an avid fan who writes pretty well. That's it. I like talking football. Again, that's it.

So these are just opinions. If yours differ, you could well be right. Probably are. ;)

I'm not sure who "Mark" is. I know Denzel Johnson was a 4-star guy carrying a 2-star rating owing mostly to his grades...nobody thought he was going to qualify, but Clemson stuck with him and got a bonus at the end of last signing class. I think if Denzel Johnson develops - and our guys tend to develop, since our coaches think in terms of player development instead of just always trying to recruit the ready-out-of-the-box polished product - he's an eventual starter at CB or more likely safety. Anybody could see the raw tools on display with Johnson this Spring - he runs well, he's got size and mass, he hits with enthusiasm, he's athletic and can break down and explode through his hips when he strikes you and he's not easily misdirected in the open field. So physically - more than good enough, and you see why the staff stuck with him. One thing I notice about cover guys is the "radius" they seem to play in relative to whoever they're covering, along with just the separation their guy gets...his radius was still too big, meaning, he was still giving himself way too much of a cushion, the way inexperienced, uncertain young guys do, but the separation his man was getting wasn't glaring. He was sticking, and running, even with our WR's, and that's a very good sign. If you can stick with our guys, there aren't many WR corps in college football that are going to trouble you. So I think he's got the goods. I also think he's probably a year away.

As for ST's - I will refrain judgment. Probably Dabo's best trait, in my mind, is you often see him get "had" once on some things...but he's got a learning curve that goes straight up. You seldom (if ever) see him get beat the same way twice. He acknowledges his mistakes, he learns from them, he fixes them. They still looked like a clown show this Spring, though, so until I see our ST's looking not slow-and-special, I will remain worried.

The new coaches strike me as position-coaches-in-waiting. Dabo has done an amazing job holding his staff together - you can tell these guys really want to be here, don't particularly want to be anywhere else - but at some point, if you keep winning 17 games in a row and punching with Alabama in the National Title game, other programs are going to come in for your staff with big dollars in hand.

Dabo, as usual, seems a step ahead. I think he's identified (correctly) that elite high school coaches will make elite college coaches if you groom them (coaching, after all, is coaching), and so he went out and proactively scooped up the next Guz Malzahn or Chad Morris from the high school ranks...the Rock Hill guy for offense, and Mickey Conn for D. Just my take is, he intends to give them an "acclimate" year, and when some of our senior coaches get those seven-figure deals they're invariably going to get, he's got proven veteran coaches - not still-wet-behind-the-ears-GA's - on hand ready and acclimated to the system ready to step in. If you look at the thing that tends to kill off dynasties, Brain Drain is usually one of the main reasons. Coaching staffs get offered head-coaching gigs, and eventually, you're left with a staff that just isn't near as good as the one that left. I think Dabo intends to get ahead of that, and hiring the cream from high school ranks, especially when they get that year to acclimate and aren't thrown into the fire all at once, strikes me as a very good idea.

Re: Love your wisdom looking at the heart and soul

May 8, 2016, 12:21 PM

Mark Fields CB is who I was talking about, he won the fastest man at the Open in Oregon. He has the tools to be a very good CB.

When he was at the Open he had committed to the coots but during the decoots season he became a Tiger.

He was their best Recruit and just before he flipped Slurier sad he might retire in a year or two...lol

Dabo has fixed everything that was a problem so I believe special teams will be improved too.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

It took a while to recruit talent/size for Caldwell

May 7, 2016, 5:35 PM

It'll be awesome to keep this caliber of lineman coming in every class.

Go Tigers!!

Those who lobbied to fire him should be ashamed.

May 7, 2016, 4:36 PM

Again and again I tried to tell the dumpers that Bowden left us with a bare cupboard and it would take at least three years to train and develop linemen 'if,' we ever started getting top quality guys.

It pretty sad the way so called 'Clemson Football fans,' talked about firing everybody associated with our program from Dabo on down to the S&C staff. I lost respect for a lot of people here during the hard times.

It's clear they didn't know as much about football as they presented themselves to have. Unfortunately, most of the folks who knew our situation and understood the real problem remained silent during those times.

It's really nice around here when the chronic whiners shut the flock up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO

May 7, 2016, 5:53 PM

they need to get our backup QB established as quickly as possible.

Always enjoy Q's Expert take since he knows his stuff...

May 7, 2016, 6:22 PM

And i don't! ??

Plus, i like his long dissertations since it keeps me away From my chores. ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have a broken back.

May 7, 2016, 10:24 PM

What kind of chores are you doing, Bill?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You have a broken back.

May 7, 2016, 10:56 PM

Those light bulbs can be a pain to change - huh Bill? :)

As for Kelly Bryant at #2 QB, I am very concerned. IMO, we lose every game that DW4 is not in the game if KB is who we play at QB. Sorry - but I have never, ever seen anything thru the air from KB that made me comfortable. Yes - he can run. But any DC with half a brain will stack the box and make KB beat them with his arm. And that spells FAIL to me. I think we have 3 other QB's that can move the chains better than KB. Put the guy anywhere else, but just don't try to make him a QB.

Re: random Saturday football thoughts

May 8, 2016, 9:32 AM

Thanks Quozzel, this is better than reading the Sports Section of the Sunday paper! You ought to consider doing a blog/vlog, and get some advertising dollars/revenue in return for your effort(s)? Unfortunately, you would probably have to expand your horizons as not everyone's blood runs orange or is 'ALL IN'! ??

As for the analysis, I think your points are all valid - but you did start with the easiest phase or piece of the program - and I am looking forward to your 'follow on articles' addressing the Defense, along with additional thoughts / assessment of our Special Teams. As for discussion of our QB post DW4, now there's the hot button! After last year, combined with the anticipation for this year, thinking ahead takes on a whole new dimension, knowing what 'can be'!

Bottom line however, is now our discussion of Bryant vs Cooper vs Johnson takes on an even greater intrigue now that the coaching staff and team have taken our Tiger program to the National Champion contender 'level', eh?!

GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: random Saturday football thoughts

May 8, 2016, 10:32 AM

I DO have faith in Bryant. Albeit ONE good game against Oklahoma, Bryant is FAR better than Stoudt. It's gonna be tough for ANYONE to follow DW.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,807
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic