Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So is this the best class we’ve signed?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

So is this the best class we’ve signed?

Feb 11, 2018, 12:36 AM

Think it is. Andif so, daayaum!! Watch out!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So is this the best class we’ve signed?

Feb 11, 2018, 7:43 AM

Won’t know for a few years. It certainly has a bunch of top in talent but not the deepest class we have signed Ivan the size of the class. Could have been both but we left five open spots...

Feb 11, 2018, 7:51 AM

You're a hoot on Christmas morning, aren't ya! ;) The glass is way beyond half full!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 8:02 AM [ in reply to Re: So is this the best class we’ve signed? ]

Clemson left 5 spots open because......what, they didn't want to fill them with projects or taking players just to fill the spots? What should they have done, taken plan B or C players? Nah, they gave one year schollies to players that earned them Great freaking class, cannot EVER remember getting the talent at every position we needed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 8:15 AM

Clemson left 5 spots open because......what, they didn't want to fill them with projects or taking players just to fill the spots? What should they have done, taken plan B or C players? Nah, they gave one year schollies to players that earned them Great freaking class, cannot EVER remember getting the talent at every position we needed.

There was plenty of opportunity to take 4 Star OL, LB and DBs earlier in the process but our staff went conservative and turned away those players so your fall back vs leave the spot open comparison is not valid. I love this class and our staff but mistakes were made in terms of roster management. Glossing over it or attacking anyone who mentions it will not make it go away. The OP asked a question and I provided an answer

Feb 11, 2018, 8:41 AM

Lol you felt "attacked" by my response? For anyone NOT coaching at the college football level to claim our staff made a bunch of "mistakes" is plain stupid. Now, THAT is just saying what I think. If get defensive, then that's on you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 9:17 AM

Lol you felt "attacked" by my response? For anyone NOT coaching at the college football level to claim our staff made a bunch of "mistakes" is plain stupid. Now, THAT is just saying what I think. If get defensive, then that's on you.

Did not feel attacked but wanted to dispute inaccurate info. Most staffs anticipate some number of transfers and bake that number in. 1-3 open spots is understandable but five is a miss. If our DL guys had not decided to return we would be eight short of the 85 limit.

Feb 11, 2018, 3:17 PM

Had those guys not stayed, we certainly would have taken more in this class. Also, I believe a couple of them didn't make it known until well into the process. The coaches must have decided there were not players available where we had needs who were interested in us. I agree with their strategy. I also think by giving some scholarships to deserving walk-ons, we send a message out that hard work really does pay dividends. JMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are you talking about??? We used every scholarship

Feb 11, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: So is this the best class we’ve signed? ]

available. We have 3 open spots right now because those last 3 guys transferred too late for the scholarships to be available this cycle.

there is also 2 walkons with scholarships

Feb 11, 2018, 9:13 AM

that will stay on the scout team and won't sniff the field except for Furman

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pound for pound

Feb 11, 2018, 8:00 AM

gotta say yes. this class was some next level stuff

Feb 11, 2018, 8:07 AM

Based on star power and national profile, yes, and it’s not even close. Numbers management could have been a little better (and the staff knows that in hindsight) but we really didn’t miss much, except for maybe one more OL and DB take. It’s a phenomenal class.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You hit on the head. Fantastic class, but 1 more great OL,

Feb 11, 2018, 3:38 PM

and 1 more great DB would have made it the perfect class.

Probably.*****

Feb 11, 2018, 8:43 AM

Feb 11, 2018, 9:06 AM

those 5 were the transfers and could not expect it that was going on. Could have 3 more if the dl left.

Feb 11, 2018, 10:06 AM

In 'Forum Land', there's no such thing as a perfect class. There's an armchair coach who will always no more and better than the staff ever will! LOL! Ludicrous as that is.

That said, Hollifield was already butt-hurt because he didn't say 'yes' when he had the opportunity and this staff isn't in the deceit business with recruits. The Tiger staff builds bridges, not burn them down and...any true Tiger fan knows that stars DO NOT equal character within Dabo's program. So, once you filter through the few available schollies, the late departure announcements, and the 'Character vs Stars' issues, how much is there truly left to draw from within the time constraints? Haste makes waste...we grew up on that...and it hasn't really changed.

Feb 11, 2018, 10:08 AM

'No more'? Jeebus...I let my Clemson diploma down! Oh, Lawd!

Feb 11, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: So is this the best class we’ve signed? ]

Salty55 said:

In 'Forum Land', there's no such thing as a perfect class. There's an armchair coach who will always no more and better than the staff ever will! LOL! Ludicrous as that is.

That said, Hollifield was already butt-hurt because he didn't say 'yes' when he had the opportunity and this staff isn't in the deceit business with recruits. The Tiger staff builds bridges, not burn them down and...any true Tiger fan knows that stars DO NOT equal character within Dabo's program. So, once you filter through the few available schollies, the late departure announcements, and the 'Character vs Stars' issues, how much is there truly left to draw from within the time constraints? Haste makes waste...we grew up on that...and it hasn't really changed.

Uncle Salty,

It always amazes me when you are labeled an armchair coach when you question a single aspect of the coaches but somehow you are not an armchair coach if you fully support every single staff decision. Is it not reflecting ones expertise and bias either way?

Feb 11, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: So is this the best class we’ve signed? ]

Salty55 said:

Uncle Salty,

It always amazes me when you are labeled an armchair coach when you question a single aspect of the coaches but somehow you are not an armchair coach if you fully support every single staff decision. Is it not reflecting ones expertise and bias either way?

Absolutely***

Feb 11, 2018, 10:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES. Next...?***

Feb 11, 2018, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always thought it was the class of

Feb 11, 2018, 10:34 AM

Roscoe Crosby, Derrick Hamilton, Airrese (sp) Curry, and Tymere Zimmerman ... Zimmerman got lost in the mix

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 11:20 AM

we will see, the 2008 class was pretty special too

Da'Quan Bowers
Jamie Harper
Kyle Parker
Brandon Thompson
Andre Ellington
Antoine McClain
Dwayne Allen

to name a few

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22