Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
playoff schedule question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,188

playoff schedule question

Dec 5, 2019, 8:20 AM
Boom.jpg(132.5 K)

Why not use this ?

adds 1 game for the 2 Natty teams !!!!

if you don't like 16 use this strategy for the top 8 now - no need for us to play Virginia. They are the runner up in the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I think your scenario would add two more games

Dec 5, 2019, 8:34 AM

In a 16 team playoff, the two teams that ultimately play for the championship will play four additional games.

In other words, if you keep the conference championship games, instead of playing fifteen games during the course of the season under the existing format (12 regular season games, 1 conference championship game and 2 CFP games), under your format, teams would potentially play seventeen games (12 regular season games, 1 conference championship game, and 4 CFP games).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

no need to play the conf champ game if you are one of the 16

Dec 5, 2019, 8:39 AM

the next 2 games are same as the 2 current playoff games. 1 extra game for NATTY

null

Not sure the conferences would be willing...

Dec 5, 2019, 8:45 AM

to give-up that game and the associated revenue unless it could be recovered somehow through the the 16 team playoff format.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

they would still play it with #2 & #3 - just like under BCS

Dec 5, 2019, 10:40 AM

when Rose bowl Didn't get their #1 that went straight to the BCS bowl ..... we all know how awesome that was ....

null

Re: I think your scenario would add two more games

Dec 5, 2019, 8:43 AM [ in reply to I think your scenario would add two more games ]

These are college kids not professional football players. You gonna kill them with 17 games. Too much.

Re: playoff schedule question

Dec 5, 2019, 9:48 AM

For starters, I don't think every team is built to win a national championship. That's why Dabo's goals for the program each season are "1. Win the opener 2. Win the ACC opener 2. Win the ACC Atlantic 4. Win the state championship 5. Win the last game". By eliminating a conference championship game you are taking away the highest potential for achievement of a lot of very good teams. No team out of the top 7 would have a decent case for a title. Michigan has already lost 3 games, Notre Dame has lost 2, Alabama has lost 2, Minnesota lost 2, Wisconsin has lost 2, Florida has lost 2. Outside of Alabama all of them lost in an embarrassing fashion to another team in the playoff race. Each number 1 seed would be favored by 20+ in their opening game and the only thing that is gonna come out of that is injury.

Minnesota Baylor, Bama Wisc, Penn State OU, would all make for great Bowl games. But Notre Dame Oregon or Florida Michigan would be way more exciting than watching each of those teams get blown out in the first round.

On a side note, I am not a fan of sharing titles. Who wins the Pac12 this season without their game, what about the ACC in 2017 (11-1 Clemson or 11-1 Miami) or the SEC in 2017 (11-1 Georgia or 10-2 Auburn). I like the conference championship games because it gives a clear winner every year. Otherwise Clemson would be only have 2 undisputed ACC titles in the past 4 years rather than the 4, about to be 5 we have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well thought out - I like hearing about ideas

Dec 5, 2019, 10:47 AM

for an expanded playoff - I think wether people are for or against it -- it's coming next.

especially if UGA beats LSU and SEC gets 2 in again.

null

Dec 5, 2019, 10:53 AM

Hard pass.

First, you expand the playoff and negate ALL group of 5 "champions". That will not fly.

Second, why would a three loss team have any real expectation of winning the championship. Realisically, teams 7-16 have already proven that they are not Natty worthy with losses to those in the top 7 or other top 16 teams.

Finally, the Conference Championships are acting as a quarter final for deserving teams. Teams without a conference challenger already get a semi-bye... or a date with UVA.

The regular season counts.

Dec 5, 2019, 11:06 AM

The only real way for a playoff to be pushed is if there are at least 5 power 5 plus ND teams to go undefeated in a season. In particular if one is ACC and ND. But that just does not happen. It would be an issue if the one left out was a "historic" program like ND, Texas or USC with a large fanbase. You might get a push if you have a situation whereby a group of 5 team goes undefeated for about 4 seasons and is left out. But even then a 5 way tie with one loss or a group of 5 left out isn't an issue.

Dec 5, 2019, 11:12 AM

First of all, these are not the updated rankings so we don't really get to see what the matchups would be.

I will give you a pass on that one though.

My real issue with this plan is the new narrative that OSU and LSU are fighting for the #1 spot to avoid Clemson.

The reason for this is because, in vegas terms, there is about a minimum 10 point spread difference between playing the #3 team and playing the #4 team.

Why do we need to include 12 more teams to this playoff if we are going to have to settle for a #4 team that is almost 2 touchdowns worse than the top 3 teams?

The answer is not that we get to see more good matchups because we already get to see games between teams in the 5-15 category play each other in the New Year's Six bowls.

Dec 5, 2019, 11:20 AM

No

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,188
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic