Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
this basketball season is truly historically special...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,343

this basketball season is truly historically special...

Feb 5, 2018, 10:33 AM

obviously, there is a long way to go with 7 games left plus the acc tourney and ncaa. But, looking at our basketball history (i'm only 31 and can only remember the shyatt/purnell/brownell days) this season could be THE BEST in clemson history.

-We have only finished in the top 25 six times in our history (coaches and AP).
-We have only won 20 games 13 times in our history.
-We have finished with 10 or more conference wins only 5 times in our history (2 times under brownell,
1 time under purnell, and 2 times under Ellis)

This year, we are 19-4 and 9-3 in the league. It could also be argued that this is one of the better ACC's in quite some time. Even though UNC is down a little, they are still a formidable team. This league is competitive and it shows.

Some other little nuggets...
-we are 4-3 in true road games (Florida win was in a 'neutral' site in miami)
-we are currently as high as #4 in the RPI (by my research thats the highest ever for us)
-we are 10-4 against RPI top 100 teams (5-3 vs the top 50)

Also, when the rankings come out today I believe we will be somewhere around 12-14. very unusual waters for this program.

Brad Brownell, along with the new facilities, has found a recipe here at clemson. The nature of college basketball nowadays is to get transfers. more players transfer now than ever before. he has 'recruited' them as well as anybody in the country. the experience of some of these guys is paying off.

its nice to see us being the team that is now the 'closer' instead of the team that falters down the stretch

gonna be a fun february and march.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this basketball season is truly historically special...

Feb 5, 2018, 11:04 AM

"-We have finished with 10 or more conference wins only 5 times in our history (2 times under brownell,
1 time under purnell, and 2 times under Ellis)"
Would have thought Barnes would have but I guess not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The year RB won 9 he might have, Conference is playing...

Feb 5, 2018, 11:19 AM

an 18 game schedule now, 16 when RB was at Clemson.

Brad's first 2 years were 16 as well, so at 9-7 that first year, Brad could have had an additional 10 win season?

SOS will be interesting as this year, Brad's best to date, might be the most difficult[by a good margin] he's played in his 8 years at Clemson?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those guys did have 2 less conference games...

Feb 5, 2018, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: this basketball season is truly historically special... ]

Not taking anything away from the current squad (which may hit 12!)...but I would think that 11 is the new 10 since we play 18 now

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, Barnes' teams played everyone twice...

Feb 5, 2018, 11:33 AM

That probably ends up being a wash if you analyze schedules now, but it is a different setup now. The only teams we play twice this year are FSU, GT, NCSU and UNC. Everyone else we play once.
League was tough then....still tough now...but 9-7 was extremely strong back then. Maryland was really good, Wake had Tim Duncan, Duke and UNC were strong....
Looking back at the 9-7 season...we were swept on Tobacco Road that year....also lost at home to Wake and UNC, and then had a home loss to FSU. But we had a lot of good wins and made a run to the sweet 16

play in ACC is MUCH differnt now

Feb 5, 2018, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: this basketball season is truly historically special... ]

You could probably notch in 4 acc losses every yr since we played UNC and Duke twice. Add in there was always at least 1 other super strong team lke GT which we also had to play twice.

Some yrs we could play duke and unc once and all the bad teams twice. pretty big difference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazingly, Barnes had only one winning year in the ACC

Feb 5, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: this basketball season is truly historically special... ]

and that was 9 wins.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But wasn't it 1980 when we made it to the Elite 8.........

Feb 5, 2018, 11:06 AM

in the tournament? I remember we played UCLA and gave them a tough game - would have been in the Final 4 if we had won.

I'm not ready yet to call this year's team "historical."

we obviously dont know the future, but as of right now....

Feb 5, 2018, 11:10 AM

it is no doubt historical for tiger basketball

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1980 team barely made the NCAA field of 32

Feb 5, 2018, 2:32 PM [ in reply to But wasn't it 1980 when we made it to the Elite 8......... ]

and then caught fire once they got in the tournament.

They had a very good regular season, but nothing earth shattering. The highlight had been the upset of #1 Duke in Littlejohn in front of 13,000+ fans.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think 25 is the most wins ever in a season, and we have a

Feb 5, 2018, 12:22 PM

good chance to beat that.

It is historic for Clemson basketball.

Which makes a pretty clear statement about the history of Clemson basketball. *sigh*

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this basketball season is truly historically special...

Feb 5, 2018, 1:55 PM

ACC regular season champion. Should have played Duke in Elite Eight but referees gave our game to UCONN. Clock@ 0.0 with ball still in hands. Duke went on to championship game but got destroyed by UNLV. That should have been us getting beat.

1990***

Feb 5, 2018, 1:57 PM

True, but if we had won we would have wound up having to

Feb 5, 2018, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: this basketball season is truly historically special... ]

forfeit later

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

GWPCoot aint gonna like this . . . .***

Feb 5, 2018, 2:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,343
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic