Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
4 K TV question.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,690

4 K TV question.

Aug 22, 2016, 8:35 PM

My son recently bought a 4K TV.

He says the picture is of course beautiful. However he says that regular DVDs don't look as good as they used to. The resolution is so high on the 4K TV that you see individual pixels more easily on DVDs.

Has anyone tried their 4 K TV on regular high definition football broadcast? How does it look?. Is there anyway to scale back the resolution for a DVD?

Football looks great on my 1080 high definition large screen TV. Is there any reason to change to 4K right now.

Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Aug 22, 2016, 8:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4 K TV question.

Aug 22, 2016, 8:47 PM

I've got a 4k tv but almost nothing is broadcast in the new format yet except a few things on netflix, it will come

Aug 22, 2016, 8:50 PM

Depends on the TV some have better up scalers than others.

DVDs are very very old tech though.

Blu Rays will look better on most and of course UHD discs are amazing

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Watched some bowl games on the inlaws 4k in hd (directv)

Aug 22, 2016, 8:54 PM

I wasn't impressed. Apparently many of these tv's aren't great at showing sports. The one I watched had blurring and shadows/ghost images while watching football. Spent hours trying to tweak it. My 15 year old plasma is just fine for now.

Aug 22, 2016, 9:02 PM

Bc you have to watch DVD's that were recorded in 4k.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2016, 9:18 PM

The single biggest piece of understanding necessary when it comes to 4K televisions (and devices) is HDCP 2.2.

In my experience, some of the issues you're (your son also) is experiencing are due to the devices in your chain not being HDCP 2.2 compliant.

I was using a 4 year old Yamaha 600 series receiver to run my home theater system and after researching HDCP 2.2 compliance, I upgraded to both a 4K compatible Samsung bluray player and a brand new Onkyo receiver with a specific HDCP inputs / outputs.... WORLD of difference. Seriously. If you're having issues... Please have a read.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mtlOKPEJfeg/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

can I "borrow" some cash?***

Aug 22, 2016, 10:01 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same thing happened when HD first came out

Aug 22, 2016, 10:11 PM

Most networks were slow to embrace HD and those that spend 5k+ on a plasma when they first came out were disappointed and couldn't really enjoy the technology until blu rays/HD-dvd came out. The networks are at a disadvantage because not only do they have to upgrade their cameras, the cost to the cable/satellite networks will rise because the amount of data used to push a 4K signal is ridiculous. The cost of the tv's are going down. I saw a 4K uhd Visio at Sam's for under $900. Unfortunately, the cost of getting the channels that will broadcast 4K will go up drastically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

very little 4K broadcast yet

Aug 22, 2016, 10:35 PM

So far the only stuff I've seen live broadcast has been some of the major golf tournaments. I know the Masters had it, but it was only for a few holes.

I've been curious if the lowering costs on the tvs is because retailers can't hold the inventory or if more broadcasts are soon coming.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

plasma is still the best for live sports. True black and

Aug 22, 2016, 10:19 PM

No refresh rate issue. 4K will be great, but I get the feeling we are years away from mainstream 4K live broadcasts and decades away from Raycom making the 4K upgrades.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,690
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic